F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Two Questions in one (regarding RPMs and MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Questions in one (regarding RPMs and MPG)

These two link together in the end but first the questions. . .

1,) When you calculate your MPG at the end of the tank (if you do) what do you get. . . I've been getting around 34-37 MPG lately and it just seems crappy :P

2.) What RPMs do you run yourbike at while driving. . .

and

3.) Do the RPMs and the MPG have anything directly related to each other?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Two Questions in one (regarding RPMs and MPG)

Yes..........the higher the RPM the lower the MPG.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 PM

higher RPM = more combustion = more gas needed = lower MPG

Old 01-22-2007, 11:14 PM

It is a simple math question you ask. The higher rpms you ride, the crappier gas mileage you get. It depends on how much power you want, how loud you want to be, and how fast you want to go. I have a 2002 F4i with a Two Bros. pipe, so I like to ride loud and fast. I redline at 15K and I ride around town at 7000-9000 rpms, usually in 1st gear. If you ride around at lower rpms, you won't have the acceleration and power you need when you want to hit it and tear up the streets. When I ride on the highway, I shift all the way out to 6th gear and I can get almost 50 mpg on a 4.8 gallon tank, but in town I only get around 35 miles on my tank. But its a small price to pay for speed and power.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 AM

Fuel economy is based on Engine load, not RPMS.

Thats why if you were to drive up hill at a steady rpm youd get worse fuel economy then you would if you were to ride downhill at a steady rpm.

So if your constantly accelerating, and riding crazy you'll get worse fuel economy, but if you keep it at a steady speed for a long time (highway) youll get better fuel economy.

If you were to cruise at 40 mph in 6th gear, youd get worse fuel economy then if you were to cruise at 40 mph in 4th gear, because the engine has to work soo much harder to create the hp necessary to keep the bike moving at those lower rpms.

Hope that helps! If its unclear at all let me know and ill try to explain it better, because I usually suck at explaining things.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 AM

Fuel economy is based on Engine load, not RPMS.
Wrong. You are right about engine load affecting mpg, but rpms DO have a factor in it as well.

You might think it doesnt because the following: If you hold half open throttle in, lets say 4th gear, at, lets say 7,000rpms, then you downshift to 3rd keeping half open throttle. Result = same amount of gas being used but higher rpms. But your speed decreases as well, meaning you will cover less ground with the same amount of gas which equals less mpg.

So I would concurr that engine load does have effects on mpg, butso does the rpm's. And the major factor on mpg would be the gearing (amount of ground covered at a specific rpm, as stated above).

Also, most cars state in the owners manual an optimum speed for the best gas mileage, mine is about 60mph.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:14 AM

Anything in the mid 30's - the 40's is great gas mileage

If you were getting only 20mpg then there might be a problem......it all boils down to the rider & how you ride though

Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 AM

All right thanks for the answers I was wondering because I ride mainly in like 6000-8000 RPMs aorund town and stuff and i try to leave it semi high for a fast escape is someone were to try to hit me.

Was also wondering because my dad rides a Harley (yes i know lol) and he gets like 40 mpg on a 900 pound bike compared to me lime 35 MPG on my 400 pound bike :P So aws just wondering.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Most HarleysI have seen redline at 5 or 6 K's. They shift lower and are built completely different than a Sportsbike. You bike is designed to be run at higher rpms. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiero. Not the same comparison.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Haha yeah I know

I like mine 100x more than a Harley so I have no problem sacrificing that extra 5-10 mpg

Quick Reply: Two Questions in one (regarding RPMs and MPG)