F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Turning Lock to Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006 | 11:50 PM
Default RE: Turning Lock to Lock

First....it's called a flash. Most cameras have them.

I really can't see anything from your photos. If you can't see anything that appears to be bent, then what you need to do is put the upper stay back on and mesure from the point of the "horns" to another point on the bike. Compare this for each side. If the mesurements are different, then it's probably tweaked. If not, the your clip-on may be messed up. Really I think you may be doing a ton of work for nothing. If it's only the fairing stay and it's only off by 1/4 inch after the bike has gone down, then I wouldn't sweat it. Put it all together and ride it.

Old 08-09-2006 | 01:57 PM
|

Got flash, cameraphone sucks. I would have had to use more external lights.

I'll try the point 2 point measurment.

The big deal is that the screws that hold the fairing in place were scoring the brake reservior cover. It could be the clip-on, but I don't know at this point w.o some parts to swap.

Old 08-21-2006 | 09:13 PM
|

From tip of tail to top point of upper fairing stay is 61" on right and 3/8" less on left!! That's right, 3/8" less on left. Now I really don't understand what the heck is going on. I expected the measurment on the right to be lower.

I could ignore it but don't want to, as I see it as a possible safety issue.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is swapping parts. Anyone know of where I can get the 2 parts and they'd take a 100% refund? I think it's more likely the lower that's causing the problem.

Old 08-21-2006 | 10:42 PM

The upper is the hard part because it's cast. You can crank on the lower to straighten it out.

More than likely if the lower is cranked the upper is too. I would just but a new upper and throw it on. If it's still off, then whack the lower with a rubber mallet or if it's really off a block of wood and a sledge. Keep at it until you get it on center.

I really wish I was close. Between the two of us I am sure we could get it straight.

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:21 PM
|

Ok, I hope you're still with me Dog.

I got to twisting and realized that...it aint the stay. How do I know? As I began to tweak to get it in line I notice that the wire hangers that hold the air intake ducts are not aligning anymore. Somehow some kinda way ...the clip on maybe, but it looks straight. I need a comparo bike.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:29 PM

wow, yea. I am lost at this point.

Old 08-25-2006 | 02:12 AM

did the clip on just slip on the fork? check your clearance from the gas tank at full lock and make sure you dont have a ton of room there. when i had mine off i noticed it took a lot of adjusting to get them back in the right spot. just a little movement on the fork and it would scrape the ms cap on the upper bolts because of the castor angle of the forks. moving the around a little would alter the height of the bars a good amount. good luck!

Old 08-25-2006 | 11:29 AM
|

Hold a second, you may be on to something here.......

OK, what do you mean when you say caster angle of the forks? I did a fork replacement a few days prior to the TD. I will measure the tank to handlebar distances tonight. Where should I take the measurment(?) I'm guessing the end of the clip-on prior to the bar end weight would be ideal.

Old 08-25-2006 | 11:41 AM

yea thats probably your problem but you didnt notice it until after the track day. the castor is just the angle that the forks are at. i was just using it as a reference its not adjustable or anything. if your clip on has moved then where the forks are at an angle, it has moved upward also. ill bet the clip ons are too far foward and therefore too high and close to the upper. hope this helps!

Old 08-25-2006 | 11:44 AM

sometimes all it takes is like a 1/4 inch to make the differernce. when locked, the bar end should be fairly close to the tank. probably about a finger thickness away or just a little more.

Quick Reply: Turning Lock to Lock