F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Turbocharger on an f4i

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you chainstretcher!

I appreciate your input. It is valued and priceless. Experience from past is worth volumes. I apply everything i learn to the project. I contacted dynojet and talked with them. The power commander 5 has more capacity and with the auto tune and 3 bar sensor it will likely make things easier for tuning so i plan to go that route. About the map sensor, You said to install a valve, essentially a one way check valve right? Any pointers on where or just what to look for? I will be running two map sensors. One for the stock ecu, and one for the dynojet. Thank you again. Lastly I don't plan on any more than 15 psi, not at this point. In fact i am not sure just what turbo I am going to use I have two. A standard turbo properly sized.. and an aerocharger.. Going to make a set up for both and do my best to fabricate it so that the turbos can be swapped out with little effort. Figure I might as well set up the standard one first so that i run oil lines and have it done. I plan on using v bands to mount to the manifold. That way i only have to change a single pipe from turbo outlet and cap off the oil. The blow off valve can be adjusted or changed easily. I'm open for suggestions. The tig welder is about to burn the metal. Going to try to stuff the charge air into the air box and use the ram air to cool it possibly.. might be a tough cookie but room is at a premium if i want to keep the fairings completely intact. The aerocharger leaves me with the advantage of stuffing it under the tail, ball bearing and smaller rotating mass should compensate for some of the lag (due to piping volume).. but i would really like to think i could keep things up front. Name:  pickaturbo_zps4a469fef.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  67.3 KB

Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently collecting parts for the turbo set up for my bike. What are you plan on using to prevent detonation if you're not building the engine with low comp pistons, or did I miss this? If you are running stock engine, then meth mix in the tb is a good solution to keep temps down. I use this on my Supra.

What about the pump? What oil pump would you be using? There are a few out there that would work well.

Also, why not use an external gate? Any particular reason?

I forgot; what ECU are you using? Doing something this complex, I would think a proper stand alone would in order. Just my .02.
Nice to see something different as that's what I like to do as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upgradedcbr
I am currently collecting parts for the turbo set up for my bike. What are you plan on using to prevent detonation if you're not building the engine with low comp pistons, or did I miss this? If you are running stock engine, then meth mix in the tb is a good solution to keep temps down. I use this on my Supra.

What about the pump? What oil pump would you be using? There are a few out there that would work well.

Also, why not use an external gate? Any particular reason?

I forgot; what ECU are you using? Doing something this complex, I would think a proper stand alone would in order. Just my .02.
Nice to see something different as that's what I like to do as well.
I have more than one engine, one is built for high hp with lower comp, cams etc. but...

The first horse is getting a snail against a stock engine and slowly boosted with proper tuning and fuel only until i blow it up. I'll dyno it before (stock, at the beginning, and hopefully @ the desired 150 or so hp.. then i plan on blowing it to bits.. Finding out what boost it goes bang at. take it apart and find out why.

Oil pump? I suppose you are asking about an oil return pump. I won't have one. Ill either have the oil return above the oil level, and the second turbo doesn't require an oil supply.

Detonation could be monitored, but i'm not concerned if the engine lives long @ projected boost levels I'm fine. Intercooling and low hp goals keep boost psi numbers low so detonation won't likely arise (can compensate with fuel as well ie racing fuel). Remember this is to find out if i can boost an f4i.. The built engine gets goodies.. and im not going to waste my dollars blowing up the built engine when i haven't a clue whats going to happen to a stock engine.. I could get the thing together and it be so choked up i have to build a totally different exhaust.. I have NO CLUE whats going to happen just yet. I am no mechanical engineer.. I'm just a putz taking a stab at it after doing a lot of homework.

About the wastegate, yes there is a reason, you will see later. But essentially external wastegates require specific manifolds. I am building a manifold that will support more than one specific turbo. Because i plan on trying different turbos, and i doubt the turbo i use first has enough nuts to make the thing go bang actually. I planned it that way anyhow. Looking to gain 30 - 50 hp over a stock engine on and not cut the fairings, keep the exhaust, make it spool from low end and run at least somewhat normal. Daily driver turbo first.. then ***** out. I have been ill, and unable to accomplish much of anything. Hopefully I can make a little progress in the coming weeks.