F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Turbocharger on an f4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbocharger on an f4i

First, I appreciate any help i get. I am working on an 01 f4i. I understand that an rr is a better candidate but this is my choice. The goal of this project is to add useful friendly reliable horsepower without blowing the engine internals all over the place. I would like some help if you don't mind. In return once the project is done and bugs are worked out i plan on posting an informative post for everyone here to benefit from. I plan on completing this project by may of next year as long as health issues don't prevent this.

Please comment with any related information, links, as you wish. Everything helps. Thank you.

I do NOT know what the stock fuel injectors provide in lbs/hr, and this is critical in determining just how much horsepower they can support. Does anyone know about the injectors themselves? How about a higher rated injector that fits? I know the rr has 8 injectors and power commander has controls for them, does anyone know of a piggyback ecu that allows you to add a second injection system to this machine?

I know the pros and cons of a remote turbo, ie oil feed and return, higher center of gravity, and lessened turbo efficiency. Any input here because i am considering a remote system.

I am guessing that the ecu and map sensor isn't going to like being pressurized. Suggestions, comments?

Does anyone know of lower compression pistons that fit this, bore is 67.0mm by 42.5mm stroke. Weisco does NOT offer anything.

Has anyone ever run two or more head gaskets, or installed a spacer to drop compression? What were the results?

Has anyone had custom camshafts ground or know of cams that fit other than hrc? I have a set of hrc cams and springs, but the overlap on them is not suggested for boosted applications.

Has anyone actually boosted an f4i? Hp and boost numbers in real life? I added nitrous with its own fuel as well, and it did good with 60 extra hp, but once bumped to 100hp the bearings were dammaged from higher combustion pressures without a way to increase the oil pressure.

Has anyone ever added a knock sensor, or used a system like megasuirt to control the fuel / ignition in order to prevent detonation at higher boost levels?

The turbo selection and such isn't a problem to me.. the charge air cooler size etc is slightly a grey area but im sure garrett will help me.

I am interested in hearing your input. I know its cheaper and easier to get a bigger bike. This is more of a science project / hobby. If i can't ride because im sick i at least want to keep my hands dirty while i sit on my butt.

I will be posting a parts list later, of what i know i will need, looking for suppliers of the odd stuff and input on what i may have forgotten.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Couple things:

1- Installing a spacer or stacking head gaskets is a sure fire way to destroy quench and hinder the flame front which will reduce your detonation tolerance.
2- I've heard of other cams out, but nothing will be forced induction specific. Everything will be high overlap cams which is exactly what you need when revving to 14k, boost or not. While the HRC's might not be optimal for turbo's, Im sure they will give higher peak HP then stockers.
3- I've been around and building auto engines for a long time now, and I've never heard of increasing oil pressure for bearing survival. Is this some weird motorcycle specific thing?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Couple things:

1- Installing a spacer or stacking head gaskets is a sure fire way to destroy quench and hinder the flame front which will reduce your detonation tolerance.
2- I've heard of other cams out, but nothing will be forced induction specific. Everything will be high overlap cams which is exactly what you need when revving to 14k, boost or not. While the HRC's might not be optimal for turbo's, Im sure they will give higher peak HP then stockers.
3- I've been around and building auto engines for a long time now, and I've never heard of increasing oil pressure for bearing survival. Is this some weird motorcycle specific thing?
Thank you very much for your help. Curious if the added height warrants adjustable cam gears to compensate? Anything else to consider when raising the head?

Weisco WILL make pistons for me (but i have to buy 12 at a time as this is their minimum batch for custom pistons). Looking into je and other manufacturers.

Regarding the oil pressure, here is the situation. I added fuel and nitrous (to the point of detonation and backed off) but with no ignition timing changes (my bad). What i didn't realize was that with worn bearings etc the oil pressure was low at lower revs and i killed it by adding the fuel / nitrous too early. The bike should have about 70 psi oil pressure, but at lower revs did not have that due to normal wear.

I have increased oil pressure and volume as well on other modified engines via different pump and or relief spring /shims (always been common practice for me). I googled it and found many related articles sustaining this as well. Higher combustion pressures warrant higher oil pressures and viscosities to "cushion" bearing surfaces with oil. Detonation not only destroys piston tops, it will "hammer" bearings out of an engine as well. Example .. Dragsters use 70 weight oils running at 160 psi + with special thickeners to combat the pressures from nitro fueled supercharged combustion.

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 08-08-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you rd91si for taking time to post. It looks like the cbr needs a little counter weight. And that popping noise i hear coming from the boosted f4i at top end of each gear sounds familiar.. as in the boost is actually blowing the spark out at high end causing a misfire (needs a different heat range plug) but a lot of people with boosted machines don't really know what is causing the issue. I learned the cause from a dyno tuner.

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 08-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 PM

I have had my shovel out, digging deep and found a LOT of info regarding this. Found Pistons to order and a pile of camshafts out the wazoo. Intake manifolds that would make you absolutely cry to have on the streets.. Looking for a turbo exhaust manifold, or cad file for one, or even a cad file for the stock head, engine, or exhaust manifold can anyone help?. And stock fuel injector information if anyone has it. I don't know what kind they are as in bosch?? denso??, or the fuel rate in lh/hr? or whatever?, peak and hold? nozzles? resistance i can manage from the shop manual.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Default About power commander 3 and ignition module

I would normally have the ecu sent out and overclocked then add fuel to compensate. I can get 15500 rpm (not needed with the turbo set up but able to support with mods) from the overclocked ecu.

My question about power commander on an f4i is this, in conjunction with an ignition module does anyone know what or if the rev limit ceiling can be lifted lifted to from the stock 14200 rpm? Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have PM.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Still working on the project, going to do the easy stuff, mounting the turbo etc, fab up the intake and exhaust. Engine work is as done as it gets at this point minus whatever I might have to do for turbo oil lines. Anyone know of a proven lock up clutch kit for the f4i? Still need a piggyback controller as well. I have settled on piggyback vs stand alone in this case. I'm open for suggestions. Ran into the ceiling of rpm limit on most controllers when i looked. Goal at this point is 140hp (with room to grow).

Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a turbo Busa for a number of years with minimal internal modifications. Of course the Busa was a bit beefier to begin with. Went from 150 ponies at the rear wheel (PCII and full pipe) to 305 at the wheel. Adding spacers and changing pistons/connecting rods and heads all adds to variables that are impossible to guess going in unless someone has gone before and posted the info somewhere. If you are that someone then bless your heart ... you're gonna have a few sleepless nights with a/f ratios and how to squish everything under the tank without crimping hoses.

I can only comment on Busa things because I left the 1kRR pretty much alone But some of the stuff should be similar.

1) MAP sensor does hate a lot of positive pressure. Ram air at speeds might get you to a pound or two of boost and the MAP can handle it. But above that and you'll fry it. I added back flow valve on the hose going to MAP. In theory I didn't even need the MAP to run. Power commander handled all the fueling. However, I wasn't a smart enough mouse to figure how to get rid of the stupid error codes when I removed the MAP

2) A spacer will give you a nasty boost lag. I used the power commander to retard timing a bit and this was sufficient. No lag and at 15# the couple of degrees I took out were not noticeable.

3) There were very few options for intercoolers available when I was constructing frankenstein. That was back in 2001. If you can find a decent intercooler then that's what I would suggest. I ran an aquamist water injection to keep the charge cool ... was set to come on and stay on at 5#. Reservoir was tricky. I ended up fitting an auto windshield wiper reservoir in the tail and it held about a quart. I'd run out of gas before I ran out of water. Alcohol can be added to those systems and it'll cool the charge even more ... very tricky to get the a/f nailed down. If I had been using as a track bike I would have dipped my toes further in the alcohol path but I ran it as a commuter bike.

4) Blowing out your spark at high rpms is alien to me. I ran the same plugs (quad platinums) and never had an issue. Think about it this way ... I hit 15# at roughly 3k rpms if I nailed it. I was still at 15# at 11.5k rpms. Sputtering at high rpms is due to insufficient fueling or timing.

5) Injectors had no problem keeping up with fuel demands. However, fuel pump could not. I installed a high pressure/high volume external pump (original was in tank) with a regulator set at 110 psi. Was wondermous

6) Stock clutch springs and basket were not beefy enough to handle the extra torque so all that was changed to bigger and badder stuff.

7) Gauges ... put boost and fuel pressure guages where you can see them when you're all tucked in.

8) At one point I got so pissed at it that I wanted to set the whole damn thing on fire. Took a week off and came back ... much better

Hope this helps. Haven't kept up with the bike/turbo world for more than a few years so I'm sure there have been a lot of improvements.