F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

tricky front sprocket removal question, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tricky front sprocket removal question, please help!

I have a 2001 CBR600F4i
Ok so i have a 520 front sprocket on the front and there was a 520 rear sprocket on the back, problem was that the rear sprocket was way to big for my needs so i changed it out when i got the tires changed. Didn't think about loosening the fron sprocket bolt before all of this took place. Now i have the stock rear sprocket on with a 520 pitch front sprocket. I can't put the chain on because it just slips over the teeth on the OEM rear sprocket and the OEM chain i have needs the master link to be cut before i can put it on.

So now that you know my situation, is there any other way to get the front sprocket bolt loose without relying on the chain and rear wheel to hold it in place? I tried putting it in grear but it just spins the trans and motor since it isnt hooked to the rear wheel. Please help other wise im just going to take the rear wheel off and switch back to the old sprocket reinstall everything loosen the front sprocket bolt and then take everything back apart to switch set ups. Alot of un needed work if there is a way to get the front sprocket bolt loose.

In a somewhat related issue, on the stock chain i couldnt find the master link, they all look the same, can i just cut any one of them or does it have to be a specific master link that needs to be cut?

haha and now for the grand finale question - should i just say to hell with going back to stock, keep the crazy wheelie set up and wait until i can buy a 520 -1 +2 conversion set? I just want to ride help a brother out haha

Old 05-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Default RE: tricky front sprocket removal question, please help!

Ok so i just put the old sprocket back on i think i am gonna ride it with that set up until i can buy a 520 conversion. I have one other question though, since i changed the sprockets does the rear wheel need to be re-balanced? If it does and i dont get it re-balanced am i gonna fall off my bike? haha Just curious cause i was gonna take it for a ride today but if it does then i'll just wait until the new sprockets and chain arrive so i dont have to do it twice. Wouldnt really see why though cause the wheel is still the same wieght and the weight of the sprockets are uniform? or maybe they are't?

Old 05-20-2006, 11:19 PM

put your bike in gear. then you will not need anything to keep the front sprocket from turning because the transmission will hold it.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, first, no you should have reason to rebalance the rear wheel when changing the sprocket.
Next, my only idea for future in theat situation is get a breaker bar or other long hard metal object and try and wedge it between the frame or something solid and push fairly hard on the sprocket. Worst worst case you dull a tooth or two, but you are replacing it anyways. Another way to go is use a power or air tool. The faster you try and turn it, the more the engine will act as resistance. You can even take a breaker bar to it ans instead of slowly pushing on it, somewhat jerk the bar fast and hard, similiar to what an impact wrench would do.
As far as the stock chain is concerned, there is no master link from the factory (if I am not mistaken) but you can get one at a dealer. Just carefully grind a link out. Make sure to get the master link first so you can see which one you need to grind out to be able to complete the loop once again.
What is your crazy wheelie setup now? I have -1/+2 and I love it. All around beautiful.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:27 AM

Yeah I think you just would of needed an air gun to get it off

Old 05-21-2006, 08:44 PM

Yeah thanx for the advice, air gun would have definatly done it just didnt feel like going to my brothers house to get the gun and compressor, by the time i got it all back i could have just changed out the rear sprocket. But its already done now so no worries.

air4andy- How is your top speed effected with that set-up i live in upstate NY and the roads are great here because of the twisties so i don't ever take the bike to top speed. How was gas mileage and also speedo error effected as well? I think im going with your setup thats the one i was looking at either that or -1 -1 or just -1 in the front

Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it has affected the top speed much at all. The RPMs are still pretty good, even when cruising at 80-85mph. I have noticed no gas mileage difference. I believe the speedo reads about 65 when I'm going 62, which means it'll read 130 when I'm going 124. Not off too much. Overall... 100% happy with my choice of gearing!