F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Trans prob. No return in shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trans prob. No return in shifting

Was just ridding yesterday went do downshift an it wouldn't drop a gear,(i could click it down but nothing would happen) but it would shift up. i pulled over messed with the shiftier an it poped right into gear an i went to my destination with no problems. (up shifting and down)

Today i take off an right away i cant shift higher than second. an when i try to the shiftier makes what looks to be the full travel, but just stays up... it does not return to the center point. But first neutral and second gear work fine an i got 3rd to work once. When it goes into gear there is no grinding an it shifts great.

i tried adjusting the shiftier linkages but does not seem to change the problem....

any help or ideas on what to try would be much appreciated

Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your clutch cable adjusted properly? If it's old and stretching, it may not be
fully disengaging the clutch. The other possibility, you mentioned already,
toe-shift lever is either too high/low, making shifts too much of a reach, hence
hard to shift. After that, you're probably looking at worn internals.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered Users

well after messing with it more, its shifting just fine... its just not returning to the center point... it sticks up if i shift it up. so if i shift it up an then lightly push down on it before shifting up again it will shift just fine...

i coated the links an exc. on the shift lever with wd40 an didnt seem to help at all... i also checked the clutch an adjusted it tighter but i was already getting full travel.

the bike is getting older.. its in 01 i bought it a year ago with 14,000 miles an i am 60 miles from rolling over 30k... she has some miles...lol

Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Time to take the covers off and check the shift star, sprint, detent arm, etc. They're not difficult to inspect or replace, just takes a little time.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered Users

so once i inspect it should this be what im looking at to replace it with Factory Pro

also i should add when i took it down the road an gave it some gas it did indeed return each time... but once i slow down an go to down shift... its gone again an same once i take off normally

Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachy
an i am 60 miles from rolling over 30k... she has some miles...lol
Shenanigans.....shes just getting broken in, in your case it sounds like literally broken. Something inside the trans must be worn out, I'd look at the shifter fork first. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered Users

UPDATE... I just wanted to post what was wrong in-case someone else ever has the same problem.

I got into my manual an it said for a problem with gearshift pedal will not return would be caused by weak/broken gearshift spindle return spring or bent gearshift spindle. So i bought return spring an spindle. But after getting the old one out of the bike an comparing it to the new one there was nothing wrong with the old one that was in the bike...spring tension an everything was the same...

But what i did figure out when i was pulling out the spline was something I thought i checked already...My Linkage from the gearshift pedal to the spline was seized up. I had sprayed the whole linkages from the start with w-40 but that was not enough. It was really locked up an had to take it off an use a product called "LPS" (very good penetrating oil). But after this simple solution the bike it running strong again an shifts Amazing again...

Moral of the story an something i should know as an A&P sometimes its just the simplest solutions an we just over think it !

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Beachy did you have to split cases? Have the same issue with my F3, Hopefully It will come out with ease!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered Users

no i did not have to split the case... the only thing i had to do was open the clutch...which i didnt actually even need to do that cause my problem was that i just needed to lube my shift links

Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is this lubing of the shift links that you speak of?

Quick Reply: Trans prob. No return in shifting