F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Track/Race tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track/Race tires?

If this is in the wrong spot, moderators feel free to move. I'm still new to the forum so i'm not sure where to put the question. Was up at Fontana this past saturday. I was having fun and doing pretty well until the last session i was planning to run. I've got Dunlop qualifiers on my bike, and i think i was about at the limit of my tire. Granted, i dont have tire warmers and it was kind of chilly out there, but if i'm going to keep doing this track thing i might as well get some good tires to keep me stuck to the ground.
Name:  CP3_2642.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  58.8 KB

Anyway, for those familiar with that track, i was going through turn 9 and probably blipped the throttle or got on it too soon and the rear end slid out. I was fine and the bike was pretty much ok. This pic isnt from that crash, or turn 9. Just a picture from the day. Kind of wish the guy had been in 9 when i went down so i could have maybe got a series of shots of the crash to analyze it. Oh well.

My question, do you guys have some suggestions for some race type tires for the 06 F4i? Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM

I only have done one track day and was forced to use SuperCorsa SC2. I had no issues with them no matter how sloppy I was with the throttle.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

I like the Michellin 2CT's, they grip really good and u can still run them on the street and they last longer.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have doubts that your tire is the issue. According to some reports these tires should do fine with as much as 30 laps/day @ 4 days. I had a set of D208's with 3TD's on them and about 8k street miles.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM

the qualifier are alright. several people have claimed they have decent grip but wear for crap. PP2ct or DCIII will take you a long way. if the rear slid out in a turn, it was most likely throttle action, but a little stickier compound can help.

I personally run DCIII's at front intermediate, or slow advanced group, and hardly ever slide. of course, I am a puss when it comes to driving off the corners hard since I lost it on my F4i one time by losing the rear on a drive out of a corner.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM

I used the Michelin 2CTs on my streetbike/trackday bike and was quite happy with them. Used the regular Pilot Powers and was at the extreme edge, little slippage with 'em but none with the 2CTs. I even scrapped the fairings and they stuck like glue.

Used the Pilot Race for the first time on my new track bike last weekend, they stuck great except for the spots where the water was crossing the track!! (big rainstorm all last week). Wouldn't recommend them for street, though. I'm sticking to the 2CTs for the street bike. Did several trackdays with 'em. Great wear.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 PM

I have used the regular pilot powers on the track and they were great. i could get the rear to slide a little while agressivley accelerating out of corners but it always seemed controlled, but was also wheelieing out of a couple corners just kinda depeded on my lean angle while grabbing the throttle. Also while down shifting very hard the rear would sometimes snake around but again it felt very smooth never out of control. I actually kind of enjoyed sliding around a bit . They wear very well. When these tires give up i am gonna give the 2ct's a shot.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wearing regular PPs. I have 3TDs and over 12k on them. Very little wear and great grip. My last TD, I noted that I can stop hard enough to pop my eyes out of the sockets.