F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Track day/ F4i riding position vs more aggressive

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day/ F4i riding position vs more aggressive

For anyone whom has alot of at the track experience I would like to know how they think the F4i rates at the track considering it has a much less agressive riding positionVS the other bikes that naturally have you leanedforward a bit more in natural riding position????

________
Low cost vaporizer

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Default RE: Track day/ F4i riding position vs more aggressive

Not to hijack since I haven't been on the track yet, but I did change my rearsets out. I went with Vortec's and they are 1" up and 1" back. Definately makes it feel more aggressive.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F-series was a very successful race bike for Honda.
The bike will scrape pegs sooner than newer bikes, but leaning it over that much takes some track experience (or should at least! One should comfortably scrape knee before getting to the pegs). The newer bikes are probably easier to flick, but again that wouldn't mean much until you gain a lot of experience. I feel like the drive-out of turns is sometimes faster on newer bikes (high end torque). On the RRs, the improvements are mainly bigger brakes and a smoother ECU.
That's about my reading so far. But I ride in the B group and I tend to pass a lot of newer 600s and liter bikes! It's so much fun I wouldn't trade the bike I'm used to, my F4i, for any other!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: ampfp

The F-series was a very successful race bike for Honda.
The bike will scrape pegs sooner than newer bikes, but leaning it over that much takes some track experience (or should at least! One should comfortably scrape knee before getting to the pegs). The newer bikes are probably easier to flick, but again that wouldn't mean much until you gain a lot of experience. I feel like the drive-out of turns is sometimes faster on newer bikes (high end torque). On the RRs, the improvements are mainly bigger brakes and a smoother ECU.
That's about my reading so far. But I ride in the B group and I tend to pass a lot of newer 600s and liter bikes! It's so much fun I wouldn't trade the bike I'm used to, my F4i, for any other!

Thanks for the feedback bro. Let me rephrase my question a bit, since the seating position is less aggressive is it harder to ride the bike like it should on the track. Having your body positioned to hang off SEEMS like it would be more suited for newer aggressive bikes in turns. I am just wandering if anyone thinks that taking an F4i to the track it taking it out of its natural purpose or element because maybe it is more a street touring bike and its not really made for the track?
________
Paxil Settlement Info

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but The F-series was a very successful race bike for Honda, up untill 6 years back. It was honda's supersport category contender. It's not really a touring bike. Fabien Foret won the 2002 supersport (i.e. 600 class) world championship for honda on an F4i, against the R6's and the Gix'6's before the RR was introduced in 2003. So it's like getting an older sportbike. but a sportbike nevertheless! It's natural element is in fact the track.
Heres more info
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/115/39...irst-Ride.aspx

Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM

it's more so in the rider as far as how much rake you want, etc.

you can add some washers at the base of the shock to raise the rear or even lower the front, it will make the bike easier to turn in but you will not feel as stable in the turn....it's a give and take thing.

the F4i set up is more suited for both comfort and spirited riding, so it's not as aggressive position wise than other bikes. however, if you become used to the riding position, i should not hinder you at all.

what you should get rid of if you're going to track it is the soft stock suspension. i would even do that before rearsets, unless you're like 150 soaking wet or something.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM

IMO the F4i is still a fantastic track day bike. I've done 8 track days on mine with the last 4 in the advanced group. The high clip-ons take a bit getting used to, you have to really bend your elbows to get your chest downagainst the gas tank but you get used to it after a while. The stock rearsets I've never had a problem with and I getdown pretty low.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

I've only got one track day so for a beginner there is no problem with the clip ons/pegs. Once you get better at it and really get that thing on its side your could buy some racier rear sets.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: rolandk

IMO the F4i is still a fantastic track day bike. I've done 8 track days on mine with the last 4 in the advanced group. The high clip-ons take a bit getting used to, you have to really bend your elbows to get your chest downagainst the gas tank but you get used to it after a while. The stock rearsets I've never had a problem with and I getdown pretty low.

by the way nice avatar
________
redhead girl Webcams

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

I've only got one track day so for a beginner there is no problem with the clip ons/pegs. Once you get better at it and really get that thing on its side your could buy some racier rear sets.
the correct order should be suspension then rearsets.

if you get it set up right, you'll be dragging knee, etc. and the rearsets won't grind away.

do remove them nasty peg feelers though. just trouble waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: Track day/ F4i riding position vs more aggressive