F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Torque Wrench - Any Recommendations?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench - Any Recommendations?

Hi all, looking for a Torque Wrench so un-do the bolt on the rear wheel (may also use it in other areas too). Can someone recommend one and tell me what size I need? I would like to check my new chain adjustment this weekend =).

Many thanks all! Hope everything is doing well =)

Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Torque Wrench - Any Recommendations?

I think its a 21 or 22 mm. not sure. The torque, however, is set at 69 ft. lbs. good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont use a torque wrench to remove the nut. You use it to put it back. In reality Ive never used a torque wrench on the rear axle.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Yeah, don't use the wrench to loosen bolts. Who cares how you get it off, it's how you put it back on that make or breaks the whole thing.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM

go by the ole german standard, "Goodentight"

Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 1/2" ratchet on the other end. As far as what kind of torque wrench, you can get a beam type and they're cheap. I have a click type left over from my engine building days. IMO you should get a 1/2" drive. Both beam and click types will get the job done, but in certain situations you may find it difficult to see the indicator on the beam type (like torquing your rear axle bolt). Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM

I got a click type torque wrench at harbor freight for around $20. You need a 27mm and 22mm for the rear axle.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: sugi942

Use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 1/2" ratchet on the other end. As far as what kind of torque wrench, you can get a beam type and they're cheap. I have a click type left over from my engine building days. IMO you should get a 1/2" drive. Both beam and click types will get the job done, but in certain situations you may find it difficult to see the indicator on the beam type (like torquing your rear axle bolt). Good luck with what ever you decide.
What he said, and....

I always buy tools like this from Sears or Lowe's since they have an easy return policy. My Craftsman torque wrench is broken right now, I just haven't walked into Sears for my new one yet. Lately, I buy all Kobalt stuff from Lowe's asits decent quality and they replace everything that breaks with little to no hassle.

One tip on torque wrenches is that the ones with the widest range of settings are the least accurate. Such as one that says it ranges from 10 lbs to 150 lbs might seem like a deal but its not going to be as accurate as the one that ranges from 15 to 75 lbs, bike specs don't require big time power anyway.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 AM

I have never used one to remove the nut, although why would you not want to remove this with the wrench?

Anyone have any web links where I can buy one? Thanks all =)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the torque wrench as a breaker bar will most likely break the mechanism in the torque wrench. Torque wrenches only purpose is to tighten a bolt to specified amount so as to make sure the bolt doesn't break loose and not to over tighten the bolt.

Just use a standard rachet and stick a pipe over the end of it to give you more leverage. It's actually better to use a breaker bar (link) so you don't break your rachet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Wrench - Any Recommendations?