F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Took MSF Course this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took MSF Course this past weekend

So I've been riding now for a couple months, got about 1500 miles under my belt. This is my first street bike (although I've ridden dirtbikes/quads in the past)...Since I got my bike I've done a lot of reading on this site and others, for techinque, safety etc.

This past weekend I took my safety course. I felt it was veryinformative and I think everyone could get something out of it...plus you get your license (provided you pass the skill evaluation).

What really amazed me though was how naive some of the people in the class were.....I met a woman who told me how she grew up on motorcycles and that she just wanted to get her license through this course, so she could go buy her 1100cc harley.

When we got out on the course she couldn't handle the 250 she was riding. Yet another reason why anyone new to riding should take this class.

And I gotta say it felt great to get off that 250 cruiser and back on my F4i[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Default RE: Took MSF Course this past weekend

I rode my RR to my MSF and getting back on it after 5 hours of being on that 250 was wierd. I felt all high up off the ground. Anyways, good for you for getting it done. Are you planning to do the experienced rider portion as well? I plan to take the second class next spring.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Haha....I know what you mean...maybe its just me, but it felt harder to do the figure 8 on the 250 than my bike......I thinkI mightlook into that class also.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Absolute must course for almost any rider......the only guy who failed in my class was the guy with the most riding experience...guess he figured he "knew" it all...taught me a ton of stuff that some guys I work with who have been riding for years had no idea about

Teaches you the basic stuff that comes almost automatic to me without even thinking about it

Can't speak highly enough of the course...not to mention if you ever want to ride your bike on a military base you NEED this course

Goose

Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 PM

good choice on taking the course. I took mine back at the beginning of september, and I'm definitely glad I took it; it taught me so much. Out of a class of 21 (well, a group of 10 and a group of 11 on the course, since the dmv only had 12 bikes), everyone passed. And after both riding days, I came home and took my f4i on a 2-hour ride.... the buell 500 I was on just felt so weird to ride, I had to ride a "real" bike again, if you know what I mean (no offense to any buell fans; I just think the riding position is awkward).

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Yeah I took the course also, came in top of the class if I may toot my own horn for a second haha. But anyways yeah the couse is extremely helpfull Ive noticed most of my buddies who have gone down a good mojority of them never took the course, it got me thinkin if the course was the reason why.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that most of my learning occurred AFTER the class, however it gave me something to compare. I ALWAYS recommend new riders to take the class as it creates a standardized method of teaching and being safety conscious.

As it's often said, you don't know what you don't know until you find out.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

I found that most of my learning occurred AFTER the class, however it gave me something to compare.As if often said, you don't know what you don't know until you find out.
exactly! i feel the same way. i took the course in '05 and im planning on taking the experienced rider course maybe this coming summer. my g/f JUST took the MSF class last month and passed, now owning her own F4i . but i keep telling her, she learned alot in that class and it was by no means a waste......but the class cant prepare you for a 3 lane highway full of cellphone talkers, cd changing people, book reading, mail opening, "whats a turn signal and right of way" people that arent looking for you! i learned so much more after getting out on the road and getting into the predicaments and having to find my "out" as the class taught me.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:59 PM

i took the MSF class earlier this spring. let me tell you, my f4i cant whip around the figure 8 like i had the 250 going

Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM

the buell I was on stalled out on me on the second half of my figure 8... while I had the clutch in the whole way. The d**n thing kept stalling, even in nuetral. But I guess that's what happens when the DOT is only willing to pay for 87 octane with bikes that the manual says to use 91+ on.

Quick Reply: Took MSF Course this past weekend