F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tocking noise with accelaration

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tocking noise with accelaration

Hello my fellow riders, my CBR started to make this tocking noise this year which I can also feel through the foot pegs as I accelerate. Tock!... tock!... tock!
Frequency picks up with the road speed. Once I reach highway speeds I don't hear it anymore. But It could be due to engine and exhaust noise get louder at that point. And the frequency of the tock is so high that it may not be as loud either.
The odd part is that it is not there all the time. It almost feels like once release the clutch to accelerate it comes up in gears.
I put the back wheel on stands in the garage and put it in 1st and ran it that way, revved it up a little. No such noise.
The bike has about 33K now. It idles just fine and still pulls really well on the road.

My wild guess (and hope!) so far is the clutch. I never serviced/replaced clutch plates yet. Perhaps it is time?

I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks! -Ben-

Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you taken a close look at your chain?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM

Hey Demon, chain seemed to be OK while the wheel was spinning on the stands.

Update:
This morning on the way to work, I was coming to red lights up ahead and there was nobody around me. So I shifted into neutral and hit the kill switch. Noise was still there, very faint but still there. So at this point I'm guessing this is wheel or chain related. But still not sure.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Take the chain off of the sprocket and check every link. Look for links with play in them and for binding links. If you don't find any bad, clean it good while it's off and hit it with lube.

While the rear is on the stand with the chain off the sprocket, spin it and see if you hear the bearings. then grab the top and bottom of the tire and see there is play in them.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanks again Demon! I will try those things this weekend and report back :-)

Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM

I had the same problem with my r6 and it ended up being the chain and the front sprocket. Same exact thing when I would pick up speed it would stop

Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Thanks 01cbrf4i90! (whew! that's a mouthful :-) ) I will take a closer look at the chain and the sprocket this weekend.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Here is my update: I got the bike on the stands again today. Checked my maintenance log. I had replaced Regina chain and sprockets 12K miles ago. Chain looks like has another 4-5K left. Sprockets seem fine. I was able reproduce the "chatter". It sounds more like a "chatter" on the stands. Best reproduction was when the bike was in 6th doing 16 MPH on the stand. Chatter would happen, when I abruptly open the throttle in a flick while the bike was in gear. Almost like the shock off the quick engagement of the engine to drive line caused the chatter on the the stands. I could do it in 1st gear too but best was the 6th. Speedometer only indicated about 7 MPH on 1st gear. I think it is coming from front sprocket or clutch area. In neutral, engine sounded fine. I will head over to Honda dealer nearby for their diagnosis too on Monday. Wish me luck! :-)

Last edited by ben_cbr; 10-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

wheel bearing....broken clutch plate....Time to start eliminating or you`ll be going round and round in circles mate......If it was me I`d be staring at it and miss it so start crossing things off mate. Best of luck .

Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM

Well, just got back from the local Honda dealer. Awesome guys at the dealer. They took it for a spin, sounds like I didn't install the rear brake assembly right. it is very odd that this issue only recently surfaced. But last time I took the assembly out was couple years ago now. Anyway...Little embarrassing nonetheless :-)
I didn't get a chance to correct it and test ride and we are falling back to 30s this week :-( When I do so, I will report back again. Hopefully that should take care of the problem. I will take a video/pics. Thanks for your input guys!

Quick Reply: Tocking noise with accelaration