F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

timing chain/cam chain replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Very unusual to hear the cam chain making noises on decel.
Not really. When you come off throttle there's not as much pull on the cam chain and without the tensioner doing it's job it starts to flop around. That's when I've experience the majority of my chain noise on both my street and dirt bikes. I had actually thought it was my drive chain at first, until i noticed the same noise while stationary.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt its a engine noise. Front and rear sprockets are new, including drive train. Tension is according to book.
Sound also auditable from RH side of engine, easy to hear it an isolate it from that side. Ṣund is there almost all the time but its most present during deceleration and when maintaining speed.
It will be intresting ti test it with manual tensioner.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn809
Not really. When you come off throttle there's not as much pull on the cam chain and without the tensioner doing it's job it starts to flop around. That's when I've experience the majority of my chain noise on both my street and dirt bikes. I had actually thought it was my drive chain at first, until i noticed the same noise while stationary.
I agree with you.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bojan
Sound also auditable from RH side of engine, easy to hear it an isolate it from that side. Ṣund is there almost all the time but its most present during deceleration and when maintaining speed.
Definitely sounds like tensioner. I know it's been a while, did you ever get it figured out? Just curious.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM
Default 40,000 miles can stretch a chain.

Originally Posted by stingray
i'd say don't worry about it. i've never known the cam chain to be an issue on these bikes. 40,000 miles is just broken in.
40,000 miles can stretch a chain to the point if replacing, especially if they are HARD miles. not so much the mileage but the hours and load of stress an experienced rider can put an extreme amount of stress on a chain when running wheelies and racing motor hard as it can. 😁. here's some pics to show you what to look for before you or anyone else decides to replace cam chain. and dont listen to anyone but your own educated opinion. because if it gets too lose can cause allot of damage,. and it'll be you not them spending the hours And hundreds to fix 😉🔧

left is new rights is old. notice how the old chain is longer. and the marks all over outside where it has benn slapping the chain guides.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:22 PM

Call me crazy, but it seems I'm looking at two entirely different chain applications there. Personally, I wouldn't consider that picture a valid comparison.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

The little thread that could... just keeps plugging along, refusing to quit! I was going to comment about the chain pic but I'ma wait a few months...

Old 06-14-2020, 07:00 PM
I'll come back next year to comment on your reply

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (06-14-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I have clapping noises in my 954 too, but when I squeeze the clutch lever it turns silent.
Could it be the timing chain too?
When I checked the valve clearance I checked the timing too, and it was perfect.
I also saw a very tiny chain mounted to the clutch basket and it seems to be the oil pump chain.
This had quite a lot of play, could that be slapping around?
Altough I never have oil pressure problems....

Old 06-18-2020, 03:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn809
Same amount of pull but on the other side of the chain as the load is reversed.
As for the sound while decel, the problem with oem tensioners has never been a lack of tension. The tip's get loose to cause the rattle. All 3 oem's I've replaced still had great tension but the head that is pinned on and contacts the chain block gets loose.

Quick Reply: timing chain/cam chain replacement.