F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

timing chain/cam chain replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain/cam chain replacement.

has anyone got a walk through on replacing the timing chain, i have a worshop manual and the capabilities, just the manual is very vague on details (as they always are). any help would be great.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of one wearing out unless you have a billion miles...

Im sure you already know but just to be sure.., make sure you clearly mark the cam positions first before removing the cam chain. Valves vs cylinders is a battle you dont want going on inside you motor.

found a good thread on this....
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=67381

Last edited by Sick97SS; 11-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM

this minute only! piston and valve deathmatch! who will win this epic battle for engine supremacy?

but seriously, why do you need to replace the cam chain?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 AM

had a freind get inside my head, the bikes got 67000 kms -about 41000 miles and i`ve had it for a year. bike was a mess when i got it, it`s not noisy or anything just not sure if the owner before hand had done any maintenece on that side of things. my mate had an 04 around the same miles and said his chain had streached and put his timing out a full 15 degrees. what do you guys think am i worring over nothing?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

i'd say don't worry about it. i've never known the cam chain to be an issue on these bikes. 40,000 miles is just broken in.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM

i know this is an old thread.. but ive been hearing tons of noise in that general area since i got my bike. first honda ive owned, so maybe im just not used to the normal honda engine noises.. ive replaced the cct, and still hear the noises. ive let a few ppl ride it around the block to check it out, and some say its normal, some say its not.. my next plan is to take the bike in for a major teardown and tuneup, cuz it just annoys/worries me like no other. its a very rapid rattle/whistle sound mixed together, along with a seldom slight ticking sound. im thinking maybe it just needs a valve adjustment, but lately ive been leaning toward a worn or stretched cam chain because it seems to be on the right side..

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jurgs2007
i know this is an old thread.. but ive been hearing tons of noise in that general area since i got my bike. first honda ive owned, so maybe im just not used to the normal honda engine noises.. ive replaced the cct, and still hear the noises. ive let a few ppl ride it around the block to check it out, and some say its normal, some say its not.. my next plan is to take the bike in for a major teardown and tuneup, cuz it just annoys/worries me like no other. its a very rapid rattle/whistle sound mixed together, along with a seldom slight ticking sound. im thinking maybe it just needs a valve adjustment, but lately ive been leaning toward a worn or stretched cam chain because it seems to be on the right side..
Hi
Have you done anything about this yet?
Mine is equaly annoying. Same damn sounds.
Also rattle is mostly presen when i am braking/ decelerating. I am so tempted to pick this engine in atoms.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 340 Likes on 279 Posts

This is a pretty old thread. The original poster is no longer active. You'd be better served by creating you own thread.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bojan
Hi
Have you done anything about this yet?
Mine is equaly annoying. Same damn sounds.
Also rattle is mostly presen when i am braking/ decelerating. I am so tempted to pick this engine in atoms.
Make sure its not your clutch first. If you take a screwdriver and hold it to various points around your engine, you can tell where the noise is coming from better

Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Default Thanks for reply.

Hi
This is definitely engine sound. Sure abot that. Sound like chain for sure. Valve check and shimming is done.

Quick Reply: timing chain/cam chain replacement.