F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Time for new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time for new tires...

The belt is showing on my rear tire, so it's time for some new shoes!
I've narrowed my choices down to these three tires, I've read the reviews of basically every tire, and these three stuck out. Unfortunately most reviews are taken on a track, where I spend no time. I put on about 7K miles a year, and I love the twisties, which are a weekly meeting point for me and my friends. Does anybody here have any personal experience with these tires?
*Click on name to see prices etc...*
Michelin Pilot Road-

Continental Road Attack-

And these are the wild card, they've gotten good reviews and people say they're surprisingly good. I'd almost be willing to give them a try and if they don't work out for me toss em...

Shinko 005-

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM

I had Michelin Pilot Roads before my 2 CT's and I thought they were a good touring tire. I took my bike to the mountains with them a few times and I got the bike over as far as I wanted and I never really had any problems. They don't grip was good as the 2CT obviously and the bike took more to lean it over but if you want a good touring/mileage tire they are good. I had 6500 miles on them and they still had 4/32's of tread left on them.

It's hard to judge what kind of tire you need without knowing how hard you ride. If you're going for max lean angle all the time in the mountains i would probably get somethign stickier than a pilot road.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

Like he said it all depends on your riding style. If you like hitting a lot of twisties and curves i wouldnt recomend it. But if you just like cruising around town and hitting the highway then sure those are for you. I personally ride the pirelli diablo corsa III's and i love those tires. They wear fairly slow and super sticky. They have like two different compounds in the center they are a harder compound and on the sides they are more sticky for leaning into the curves.... great tires.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 PM

If you're gonna go with the roads and you do twisties it would just make sense to get the road 2cts and have the softer outside edge rubber. just my thought. I actually just started running them on mine, but haven't had much time on them yet.

Last edited by LoneWolf04; 05-26-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Get Pilot Powers or a similar tire if you intend on doing twisties regularly. I wouldn't trust a commuter tire to weekend shenanigans.

I've run normal Powers then two sets of 2CTs. They work great for me, so I'll stick with them.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Decent prices on 2CTs:
http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...x.cgi?pid=3521

I am not sure of the shipping price tho.

Last edited by Uniqsol; 05-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 AM

so what tire would u guys recommend for commuter and freeways
im thinking dunlop qualifiers, a lot of ppl have that and thats what i have right now too.
but i hear a lot of the pilot power 2cts too, they good?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks guys, so far I'm leaning towards the Michelins, scratch the shinkos... Badger Cycle near my job is having a sale on Pirelli tires so I'll go check those out after work.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 AM

I would look at the Pilot Road 2CT. It is stickier than the regular road and should give you a combo of what you are looking for. They are supposed to be a great road tire.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires...