F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ticket for blinkers being too close?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ticket for blinkers being too close?!

OK so I sent the original post to my dad, he's a retired CHP capt, but he still keeps pretty up to date? here's what he had to say, I dont understand legal talk, but the botom line is, yes you are in violation, even if the section (a) of the VC doesnt clearly state it.

Here it goes.

Towards the bottom of CVC Section 24252 (a) it says, "...subject to requirements established by the department." This refers to the California Code of Regulations, which is the administrative code for the state. There are many "Titles" (think of divisions) in the CCR. One "Title" is for the Highway Patrol. The CHP, in conjunction with the University of California, Manufacturers, and Industry groups across the country, develop regulations covering everything relating to transportation issues including: loading regulations, vehicle equipment requirements, and on and on and on. The advantage of this system is the State Legislature does not have to enact an actual state law covering every tiny facet of these lengthily, complicated, and technical regulations. That would be virtually impossible.[/align] [/align] Now I'll refer you to CCR Title 13, Chapter 2, Section 699, relating to turn signals. (Note; though the actual section is all one paragraph I've broken it down into three sections to make it easier to find the salient part. Take note ofthe middle section.)[/align] [/align] Turn signal lamps shall be mounted and operated as follows:
(a) Motor Vehicles. Turn signal systems on motor vehicles shall consist of at least two single-faced or double-faced turn signal lamps on or near the front and at least two single-faced turn signal lamps on the rear. Double-faced turn signal lamps shall be mounted ahead of the center of the steering wheel or the center of the outside rearview mirror, whichever is rearmost. A truck-tractor or a truck chassis without body or load may be equipped with one double-faced turn signal lamp on each side in lieu of the four separate lamps otherwise required on a motor vehicle.
[/align] [/align] [/align] Front and rear turn signal lamps on motorcycles shall be at least 23 cm (9 in.) apart, except that front turn signals on motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973, shall be at least 40 cm (16 in.) apart. Turn signal lamps on other vehicles shall be spaced as far apart as practical. [/align] [/align] [/align] The optical axis of the front turn signal lamp shall be at least 10 cm (4 in.) from the inside diameter of the retaining ring of the lower beam headlamp unit, fog lamp unit or passing lamp unit. Additional turn signal lamps may be mounted closer than the 10 cm (4 in.) dimension provided the primary lamps equal or exceed that distance. Original equipment turn signals that emit two and one-half times the minimum candela requirements may be closer."[/align] [/align] Therefore, based upon the middle section above, your friend is not in compliance with CCR Title 13, Chapter 2, Section 699, which then makes himin violation of CVC 24252 (a) 1. Ain't it a bummer?[/align] [/align] [font="arial"][size="2"][font="times new roman"][size="3"]We used to cite for the specific CCR violation which was a pain in the *** and the public hated it because, just like your friend, they couldn't really tell what they were cited for if it wasn't spelled out in the California Vehicle Code. Well,

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM

we don't even have to have turn signals here at all.

I would just say its fixed and not fix it.

Don't listen to me

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BigWill

Don't listen to me
But the problem is, you have to have a police officer or the DMV, inspect and sighn off the tickets stating it's been corrected, do you know any cops? comes in handy, especially when geting tickets for dark tint windows,

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianm767

[oops

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks Brian, I can tell there's no getting out of this one. I don't know a cop or anything since I'm somewhat relocated (4 years wasn't enough to befriend a cop I guess).

I suppose I'll find a way to fix it... I guess all I have to do is fix it and then go to the CHP office for a stamp or something. We'll see if the fix is temporary or not, I want a permanent fix, but it has to look good. I mean, I'd rather be unsafe than look like an idiot, am I right? J/K!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

The thing is you and I can see the difference in tail lights and stoplights, but when they are all scrunched together the 70 yearold drivers can't. Laws and codes are written to keep you safe from the drivers that can't see too well or process the things they see fast enough.

It sucks that the stock blinkers look so bad, but at least they are visible to the blue hairs.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 PM

My wifes F4I rear end, and I'm sure it's illegal too, almost every aftermarket light, exaust or what ever you install , usual is clearly marked not street legal, we just run the risk till we get a ticket, then it's up to you, after you get it fixed, if your going back to the illegal configuration, I personanly dont care for LED lights, there allways dimmer than the stock bulbs, but a guy at teh local Cycle Gear and I went through every package of lights he had in stock, and these are actually super bright, brighter than stock, even in the day, but the angle of our plate is too severe, the lights are illegal, it's only a matter of time till I run itno an officer who needs to write some tickets, there's no quota as some folks think, but they do have to produce,

[IMG]local://upfiles/3364/FDE7ABBC22DB4FB5993990D2B7FECEDC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM

wow that is awsome next there gonna be giving out tickets if your helmet doesnt match your bike

Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: brianm767

Don't listen to me
But the problem is, you have to have a police officer or the DMV, inspect and sighn off the tickets stating it's been corrected, do you know any cops? comes in handy, especially when geting tickets for dark tint windows,
Ah, I didn't know that. Here we just mail it and sign it saying it was fixed. Its the honor system ;p

Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 AM

ORIGINAL: brianm767

Don't listen to me
Ah, I didn't know that. Here we just mail it and sign it saying it was fixed. Its the honor system ;p
I think the honor system left California about fourty years ago!