F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Throttle Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Cable Question

Hi all,

I think i asked about this before, but I still haven't solved my problem with the throttle cable. I was screwing with what I thought was the adjusting nut because I had thought I could just take off the clip-ons easily by backing it out. No such luck. Now, I can't get it back in any further than this:

It seems to work OK (when I twist the throttle, the engine flaps open, when I release it, they snap closed) but it's not very secure. I'm afraid if I hit one bad bump, it won't work correctly.

Down at the engine side, it looks like this:

Would someone more mechanically inclined than me tell me how I can fix this? I have a factory manual, and a Haynes manual, and so far neither have been any help. My GoogleFu fails, too >.>

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P.M. your address and I will come over to show you. I am home and bored and it will give me an excuse to ride.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM

BTW those levers look very nice!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks Harley I'll PM you.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Bump for thoughts; still no good

Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are missing one of the locking nuts on the right-hand cable at the engine adjuster. There should be one above and one below the bracket. As is, you can't back off the cable housing to increase tension if the cable is slack. Look at the left-hand one. See the difference?

Ern

Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Ern,

I do see the difference, but I'm not sure how that'll help me screw the elbow joint back into the grip?

I feel like it should disconnect somehow at the engine side, but it seems like there's no way to disconnect it without removing the spools.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM

I think what he is trying to say is, if you put the other nut on and fit the cable properly it will give you more slack at the top end. This might allow you to bring the elbow in?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM

I have enough slack at the top to tinker with it a little, but to really screw the elbow back in it seems like I'll have to rotate the grip or the cable, which means the cable will either need to come out of the grip or the engine. Similarly, to put the nut on the engine side, I'd have to get the cable off the spools to run the nut up to the top of the bracket there.

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, and should be trying to disconnect the throttle cable at the grip side?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 PM

i am trying to get my throttle working correctly on my 95 f3 right now.

the bottom return cable only has one nut on the carb side, it was like that with my old cables, and my new cables came with only one on that cable as well.

with my old set, i thought i was missing that nut as well, but there isnt even a possible way for it to come off, a nut cannot be slid through the pins on either end of the cable, and my new cable came the same way which reaffirmed my assumption..

as far as threading your ends into the handlebar spot, all i can think is that your not threading them in there straight, its happened to me a couple times in the past couple attempts but i just unscrew it and make sure its lined up and mine go all the way in.. my problem is that my throttle stays open when i roll it and wont snap back.

GL, just wanted to point out about the "missing" nut

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Question