F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

For Those With Passengers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 01:09 PM

Well, that's a good question, I'm 6'2" with 27 years an my wife is 5'6 with 33 years and last year we travel to Acapulco (about 400 +- kms) and we did about 3 1/2 hrs with gas fills and 3 stops. With a long trip like that the comfortable of your seat goes to the past because after more than 2 hrs of trip you get tired of your knees and you forget your butt (lol). In other words i think that YES it's comfortable ...

Old 04-05-2010 | 02:14 PM

My gf rides with me all the time ( split seat 03 F4i) she doesn't mind short trips but 1 hour at a time is her max, and mine too to be honest, her weight and mine on my wrist is a killer. She said the seat isn't bad for short trips at all. She actually likes me to take her places so she can be cool on the bike too. I told her how to wave to other riders too. She wears helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots too, always be as safe as possible.

Old 04-05-2010 | 03:44 PM

i ride with the gf all the time and she is comfy bu im around 6'1 - 6'2 and she is like 5'2 so even with the seat height difference she isnt too much taller than me when i sit upright. i would think split seat would be a little more comfortable because she has her own seat instead of sliding into yours like stated before

Old 04-05-2010 | 03:47 PM

I have the 2001 f4i witch means the split seat....My wife and I ride quite a bit and she has not issues on the back...I usually go for 3 or 4 hours at a time between stops and she loves it....I was going to suggest the corbin (I have the drivers seat) however like you said it is a crazy price for a passenger seat....I actually bought her a pair of bicycle shorts to where under her gear....It has a padded rear....Or you can build up the passenger seat with memory foam and recover it yourself for much cheaper than a Corbin....That is what I plan to do as well....I hate the looks of the banana seat style so I do believe you can make the split seat passenger seat as comfortable with a bit of ingenuity.

Old 04-05-2010 | 05:13 PM

Maybe I can provide you another perspective... I did the split-seat conversion last yr. So, my wife has ridden passenger w/ both styles.

She's actually talked about the seating difference for her. Her take on it was that, the banana was more comfortable just to sit...but...it was wider & didn't allow her to tuck in as well when we got up to speed on interstates & freeways. Too, she would find herself constantly sliding forward...which would press me into the tank.

W/ the split-seat, she can tuck in w/ her legs easier to keep her feet & legs closer to the bike, plus she's got her own individual seat. Also, w/ the banana seat, she was constantly having to look to the side to see around my helmet. W/ the split, she can look over my shoulder & keep a more straight up seating postiion, which is also more comfortable for her.

Do I like the bike better w/ the split-seat?...YES. Since I'm the one that's going to be riding the bike 99.9% of the time, how I like the seat configuration is of upmost importance. Too, I take it to the track & the split-seat is better for my riding position & technique. The bike is used for daily commuting, as well as for wknd twisties, & for trips.

So there ya have it. Maybe this perspective will help you some. :-)

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:01 PM

Split Seat FTW!!! but as others said if you prefer the split seat look go with it. You don't want to get a nana and not like looking at it for the sake of the lady's comfort (you will be on it a lot more). IMHO I couldnt stand my passenger sliding forward pushing me further into the tank. Again, there are alternatives to making the split more comfortable. My gf hasnt ever complained sitting on the split seat ....buuut shes also never been on a the banana seat so what she doesnt know wont hurt her!! lol I have heard the banana seats are bit more comfortable though but idc because i wouldnt like looking at it....Its all personal preference to each his own.

Old 04-05-2010 | 08:29 PM

I used to ride passengers all the time. Real passengers put their hands on the tank and don't slide forward [along with removing inside hand completely so you can lean off in the faster corners]. That said-

All but one have said they liked my banana better. Since they all lean forward to use the tank they like being lower/closer to it. It is easier for them to slide foward though so if your girl dosen't use the tank then I'd go split seat!

Old 04-05-2010 | 08:55 PM

I say if she don"t like it stay home its funner to ride solo anyway. with that being said mine has never complained about mine being a split seat. She's just happy to go out and do wheelies.

Old 04-06-2010 | 04:57 AM

They don't call it riding bitch for nothin'.

But honestly, if you're buying a sport bike, the LAST thing you should be worried about is the seat comfort for a passenger. You don't buy a sport bike for the "comfort", it should just be a plus.

As for those of you who's (hopefully) ladies slide forward on them, A) You aren't accelerating fast enough and B) Tell them to put their hand on the tank in front of you when you're stopping to hold themselves back, and use their legs. Works wonders. I'd forget I even had my ex on my bike until I did something crazy and she'd tighten her grip

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:03 AM

my girlfriend has been on the back of my RR and my F4i (both split seats) and I think she prefers the F4i, because it's less harsh in it's stance. But +1 to Aken, the split seat keeps them where they should be, the banana seat allows for some sliding.

Quick Reply: For Those With Passengers...