F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Testing F4i Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009 | 08:45 PM
|
Default Testing F4i Gauge Cluster

I bought a wrecked 2005 F4i for parts and I want to test the gauge cluster before I sell it. I don't have a complete F4i so I can't just plug it in, is there a way to just power it up with a battery to verify that if functions and check the mileage?

There are 2 plugs on the wiring harness as shown, does anyone know which pins to connect to power/ground to turn it on? There's heatshrink right up to the plugs so I can't see the wire colours, but I guess I can peel some of it back if I have to.

Name:  f4iguageconnectors.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 10-14-2009 | 08:28 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Look at the service manual to see what wires do what. If you don't have one there are a ton of links on this forum. You can go to the General Tech section and there is a sticky for them. Section 20-1 of the manual is the wiring diagram. The problem that I think you will run into is without actually having it hooked up to the bike you won't know if every thing works such as the backlight, oil light, turn signals, ect. as they all are run by their own wire. Also without having it hooked up to the bike you won't be able to get the mileage because that comes from the ECU.

If I were you I would look at it to see if it took a beating in the wreck. If everything looks good on it then I would imagine that it is and sell it on Ebay with a 7 or 14 day return policy that way if it doesn't work they can return it and it should effect your rating and if they don't return it you know it was good and you made some money.

Old 10-14-2009 | 07:12 PM
|

Ok, thanks. The unit looks to be in perfect shape, no damage that I can see.