F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Temporary repair of broken mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary repair of broken mirror

I had a low-speed lowside due to some gravel and using a little too much rear brake on Monday night. I was not injured besides a bruised knee (full gear ftw) but my bike sustained some road rash as well as a broken mirror stalk and bent front brake lever.

I have already ordered new mirrors and levers but it will take a while to come in and I was wondering if anyone had experience with supergluing f4i mirror stalks back together as a temporary fix. It broke off right near the base.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superglue = no chance
JB Weld = better chance, but will surely fail after a bumpy ride
Tig Welder = will work but will be ugly
New mirror = WINNER - (stay away from the plastic hong kong crap)

Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM

what about Taiwan Mirrors lol...sorry to hear about that but good thing you are ok...i almost got totally taken out the other day by some kid in his honda on my way to work...he ran a red light but luckily noticed me at the last second

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Superglue = no chance
JB Weld = better chance, but will surely fail after a bumpy ride
Tig Welder = will work but will be ugly
New mirror = WINNER - (stay away from the plastic hong kong crap)
I haven't looked at the bike since the incident (sad about it ) so I didn't realize that the mirror stalks were steel (or aluminum). The mirror actually ended up under a van owned by a guy who ran over to help me. I have access to a tig welder, so maybe I'll give that a shot until the new ones come in.

I think I may have ordered hong kong plastic crap as they weren't very expensive (relative to retail oem).

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My HK experience....
-I ordered a set of integrated LED turn signal mirrors off ebay for $40.
-Took 3 weeks to arrive in a mushed and pathetic excuse for a cardboard box.
-The big boxy "universal" brackets we're pure crap and looked horrible so i dremeled off some plastic to make the new mirrors fit the stock metal brackets.
-The LEDs were weak and barely noticible. but the mirrors still looked good.
-I had to carefully pop off the mirrors to tighten the bolts on the stalk because they wouldn't stay in place even on a smooth road.
-while i was in there i noticed 2 of the 4 screws holding the leds in place were stripped out the the plastic threads, cheap!
-They still vibrated like crazy
-2 weeks later i hit a bump and the left mirror stalk snapped clean off leaving the mirror to dangle by the LED wires. so i ripped off the wires and through the mirror in my backpack.
-got home, explained situation to ebay seller and got my money back, (good seller, bad product)

Never Again.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 06-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

ugh...i just bought some intergrated mirrors too...i hope if they end up being crap i'll get my money back also...

99-06 Honda CBR600 CBR 600 F4 F4i INTEGRATED MIRRORS - eBay (item 120742585934 end time Jun-30-11 09:07:48 PDT)

Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM

if you have access to a grinder, you could grind the end on the stalk down so it'll fit in the base, then drill a hole in it. It'll work until you can get your new mirrors in.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM

JB Weld prolly won't work, it didn't for me at least. Do you have to have two mirrors in the state you live in? I know in New York you don't and I've broken a few and ridden with only one mirror. I absolutely hated it but I tried fixing one of them and it didn't work so I said screw it and just stayed off the highway or any busy roads.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
JB Weld prolly won't work, it didn't for me at least. Do you have to have two mirrors in the state you live in? I know in New York you don't and I've broken a few and ridden with only one mirror. I absolutely hated it but I tried fixing one of them and it didn't work so I said screw it and just stayed off the highway or any busy roads.
Same thing for NJ, I rock only one mirror and it's hardly usable.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
if you have access to a grinder, you could grind the end on the stalk down so it'll fit in the base, then drill a hole in it. It'll work until you can get your new mirrors in.
I might give this a try. It did break off very close to the base so I wouldn't even lose that much length.

Quick Reply: Temporary repair of broken mirror