F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Teach me hw to pop the front up

Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teach me hw to pop the front up

Hi guys... i'm quite new to this forum and i'm from Singapore. Riding the 2001 CBR600F4i (banana Seat) and i'm in love with this monster. But cos i am really into biking stuffs... i would really love to learn how to pop this baby up at the front... but i dunno how and i'll always worry that something will go wrong... not sure it will be easy anot... cos i'd jus changed my sprockets to 16 front and 44 rear.... i don't mind learning slowly and step by step... but wat are the methods to pop this thing?? thanks... any help will be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Teach me hw to pop the front up

LINK

Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered Users

stuntlife.com has a bunch of good tips on pulling wheelies.

For the F4i, start small (first gear) and work your way up. You said you changed the sprockets out and you still can't wheelie? Most folks drop a gear in the front, and a few in
the back and the bike becomes a wheelie machine. Anyway, sounds like you just need to practice with first gear.

1. Make sure you have on GOOD gear (helmet, leathers or body armor (661 body armor is good), and jeans with armor - because there's a high possibility you're going to bust your *ss and jack your bike (put on some crash bars on the side fairings if you can). If you can't scrounge crash bars, at least take the side and front fairings off the bike.

2. Find a nice long street, preferably not in your own neighborhood where your neighbors will gather to watch you practice and perhaps commit incident described in #1,
or worse, back out of their driveways when you're doing a stand up. Then there's the liability issue if your bike gets away from you and takes out a few parked
vehicles. Industrial areas on the weekends are nice spots.

3. Start out and when you get to about 4K RPMs, rev it up a bit and let the clutch quickly out while twisting the throttle (smoothly, not gunning it)at the same time. It'll come up a few inches. At this point, you've got the fight your self-preservation urge to put your weight forward. Balance the bike and for God's sake, keep the rear brake covered so you don't flip over backwards. When you bring the bike back down, brace for impact but don't stiffen your arms; keep them at a slight
angle to absorb the shock. Watch the tank slap. [:@]

4. Keep practicing until you get comfortable enough to go a clutch up to second while pulling the wheelie, but don't get too ahead of yourself. Also, don't put your foot under the
gear shift peg because you might accidentally throw it into neutral when you're up. That ain't good. [&:]

5. Have fun!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 01:04 PM

issit more difficult to pop up the front if my rear sprocket is now -2? my rear suspension preload is set to 3... nt sure if its too soft ... but cos i weight at onli 60kg... and i find it jus nice... now i'm still learning the roll on method.... so issit maintain at around 6k to 8k rpm... close and open the throttle quickly and the front will jus pop up like that??

Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm def following that link. That looks really smooth. I had heard the F4i didn't have enough power to do it, so do you do the close-off-throttle/open-up-again thing?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: HonG

issit more difficult to pop up the front if my rear sprocket is now -2? my rear suspension preload is set to 3... nt sure if its too soft ... but cos i weight at onli 60kg... and i find it jus nice... now i'm still learning the roll on method.... so issit maintain at around 6k to 8k rpm... close and open the throttle quickly and the front will jus pop up like that??
I guess so, but I never understood the whole sprocket swap out premise, but folks swear that it makes doing wheelies easier. The F4i is powerful enough to pull wheelies in it's stock form, but some folks prefer having the front dropped a tooth and the rear dropped two. I've pulled wheelies on my stock F4i and the only mod to my suspension was when I lowered it. Other than that, my setup is for a 150 lb person.

I don't think it's a good idea for the 6K to 8K then open the throttle quickly...you're asking for trouble. Remember my earlier reference to the possibility of the bike getting away from you and taking out some parked vehicles? Watched it happen with my cousin on her Gixxer 600. I just remember her rolling down the street after the bike (always wear gear for just such an occasion) and her motorcycle wheeling (still up on one wheel) and hitting three parked cars (always a good thing to have insurance). She revved the hell out of her bike and dumped the clutch. The rest, as they say, was history. Busted *ss and busted bike. Just start slow and work your way up.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM

usually if you want a sprocket change for more accelartion or torque..which will allow you to bring up easier in first you will have to do a -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the back sprocket...u for some reason did -2 on the back? which might make it harder..
but yea..get in first and just roll off and roll on..

Old 04-06-2006, 11:30 PM

if you just dropped 2 teeth in the back then its gonna be quite a bit harder to get your front end to come up, best to just switch back to stock. It would make it easier.

Dropping teeth in back and adding teeth in front make you have a higher top speed and less torque
Adding teeth in back and dropping teeth in front make you have a lower top speed and more Torque

Old 04-07-2006, 04:17 AM

Dump the Clutch in First gear at about 7k RPMS... you cant go wrong

Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: The Batwing

Dump the Clutch in First gear at about 7k RPMS... you cant go wrong
sorry... but wat do u mean by dump???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teach me hw to pop the front up