F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Suspension set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension set up?

Earlier someone posted a question about how much weight can a bike hold and someone talked bout the suspension set up. How do I know how my suspesion is set up right now?? I know that on the forks its got that deal u can turn from "L-T" and what do U guys recommend just for street riding? Can anyone elaborate a lil more how that is suppose to work? Thanks!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Suspension set up?

If your bike's springs are stock, they're set up for a certain weight. I don't know what that number actually is, but typically OEM suspensions are dialed in for ~180 lb riders. If you weigh significantly more or less than that, you may consider having the bike resprung.

Once your spring rate is correct, you need to set the rear ride height by adjusting the preload. You need a friend to help you do this... there are instructions all over the net. Just search for "motorcycle suspension dial in"

From there, it's all about feel. Set all your adjustments to the middle setting, and ride. See how it feels. I run everything at one click harder than the middle setting. I've only been on the bike for three weeks so far, but it feels pretty good.

Again, you have to read a comprehensive guide on motorcycle suspension setup to do it right. And most of the time those guides are written from a track perspective, so they may sound confusing. If you're just riding on the street, I'd say set it to the middle and forget it.

the blonde weasel

Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM

You should be fine leaving it at the stock settings. I wouldn't mess with it unless you know exactly what your messing around with. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Do a bit more reseach on suspension and ride around first and see how it feels for you before you go making any changes on your bike.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

.....For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. .....
Good point, if I knew for sure thats its a "stock" set up then I would just leave it alone. I bought it used from some fool who was the person that added the drop kit. Thats why I dont wanna just start moving sh** and end up eating ashpalt. I'll look into and MAYBE think bout a minor adjustment....thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspension should always be setup for the rider. It's inexpensive to have someone do it for you and has HUGE benefits.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Depending on your weight, adjustments to the stock set up will not make any significant changes. At a track day I went from full hard for every setting to about medium and noticed little if no difference. On the street, I don't ride hard enough to push the suspension.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM

stock settings are ok.But setting the sag and spring rates up for ur weight with make the bike feel 100% different.

Mine has never been to the track but going from stock to correctly setup suspension is night and day ,even on the street..Better handling,better tire wear,better ride.