F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension set up

I'm getting ready for a track day and a guy I buy race take offs from said he would set up my stock suspension for $50. I don't think I can get any improvement from the stock since I weigh like 200 with gear.

So should I have this done for me or is it not worth my time?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: suspension set up

they usually do this cheap at the track.

you're too heavy for the stock suspension so whatever set up he can do will help, but as far as setting sag, etc. you need new springs and rear shock to do it right!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM

Agree with Tahoe. The stock suspension is setup for 145lb Japanese test riders. The adjustments will not quite reach your requirements.

But if you look at the 'Related Threads' box at the bottom of the page, you'll find some recommendations.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 AM

yea do it as best you can yourself. if the dude was a guru or a nice guy, he'd know 1. you just can't do it cause of your buffness and 2. he'd just do it for free cause it's not that much work.

just do it the best you can yourself and ask for some vets at the track to help you out. with your weight you definitely will lose some ground clearance and also driving out of turns you'll tend to run wide due to soft suspension.

if you get the right set up...it'll feel like you're on rails coming out of turns...pure bliss!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

I figured I'd just make everything as stiff as possible and that would be the best I could get out of the stock set up.

BTW for the rear shock, whatever dial is on the reservoir, which way do I turn it to make it stiffer? There isn't a sticker or indicator to say which way you should turn it.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2
BTW for the rear shock, whatever dial is on the reservoir, which way do I turn it to make it stiffer? There isn't a sticker or indicator to say which way you should turn it.
not only that, but how do you know what # setting you're on? is it the number facing up? there's no indicator...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 PM

not only that, but how do you know what # setting you're on? is it the number facing up? there's no indicator...
There's no number, don't you normally just say one turn from full hard or something like that?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM

I meant the rear spring preload, I think. the thing you change with the big spanner wrench

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM

preload won't make much difference as it just compresses the spring to be shorter or taller, but the spring rate is unchanged. what you want to do is mess with the rebound/compression. clockwise makes it tighter so stiffer. just try it out in the streets or at the track to see what you like best. you want it so that when your suspension compresses and comes back up, it won't feel bouncy, etc., but just right.

Quick Reply: suspension set up