F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Surprise re: Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Surprise re: Tires

On the track I use both brakes to slow and turna bike.Very rare on the street I use both brakes, mostly front brakes and down shifts. Rare as in oh **** there a woman 10 ft in front of me pulling out., slowing down from 100 mph to 60 mph for a cop, orat 85 mph in the rain for some bull****. 207s should definitly last longer than that. Iput them on my ZX-6 and sold it with those tires.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: oacuna
Nope I have same tires....I'm glad I live in AZ. We don't have inspection sticker B/S. I could run slick tires on the street...no one would care.
Yeah, with no rain (or hardly any), tread doesn't do you much good!

Down here, it rains a lot, so, even though I might could get a few more miles out of them, I'm OK with going ahead and changing them. This shop seems a little cautious, but I thought the other one was the opposite. Personally, I think that back tire has a few more miles in it, but not many.

From the pictures I've seen of others bikes on this board, people run them way past what I'm comfortable with. When it comes to tires, I think I'll play it safe.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:14 PM

i cant believe that someone even too a look into your tires, wow. i dont know how serious they are around your area but inspection here cost 6 bucks and they dont care for crap what the bike looks/performs like.
im sure that you will be happy with the pilots but i am surprised that you did not make it close to 4k miles on the 207s.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Guess I got lucky. My '06 F4I came with Pilot Sports. I got exactly 6,000 miles out of them before I replaced them. The front didn't look worn at all, and the rear could have lasted for a bit more, but I wanted to replace them with Pilot Powers. Huge difference in feel as compared to the sports.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be thankful your shop is concerned for your safety...even if there's a buck in it for them. Hey, it's the American way.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180
Be thankful your shop is concerned for your safety...even if there's a buck in it for them. Hey, it's the American way.
That's the way I'm looking at it now. I'd rather be short a little cash than a LOT of hide.

I just went out and looked at the tires more closely. They are definitely near the wear indicators. I think they could've passed me, but it was close. Hopefully I'll get more miles out of the next set.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: woogie
Ordered some Pilot Powers, based on what I've heard on this board.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong - but if you're going thru stockers as quick as you did, I don't think those PP's are going to last much longer. NE1 else have thoughts?

You shouldgo with Pirelli Stradas. After I replaced my stocker (think it was around 5.5k miles - yea it was bald) I put on Stradas. Now I am at 15.5k and I'm 'bout to replace it. But it was looking good up til 2k miles ago. Even still, it's just worn down the center with the edges well intact- too much super slab riding. BUT, they are good high mileage tires.

My $0.02

Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Retired Moderator

I haveread a lot of negative about the 207's. In fact, if my bike had come with the 207's, I was going to buy a new set right away. I really would think you'd get more than 2700 miles, like everyone else. Did the dealer say anything about the quick wear or what may have caused that to happen?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ok this might be a retarded question but what are you guys talkin about when you say "inspection" why do you have to take your bike to anyone to get checked out ?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Retired Moderator

I assume it is an emissions deal. I know In Cali, you have to get a smog inspection on your cars...maybe the same situation for all motorized vehicles.

Quick Reply: Surprise re: Tires