F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Surprise re: Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprise re: Tires

I found myself at a Yamaha dealership today, and coincidentally noticed my state inspection sticker had expired. OK, fine better do that while I'm thinking about it.

Well, it turns out that my tires failed inspection @ 2740 miles! That was a surprise. I thought I'd make at least 3500 or so on them (stock, whatever they are).

Does that match what others are getting? Am I riding harder than I think?

Ordered some Pilot Powers, based on what I've heard on this board.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Default RE: Surprise re: Tires

What kind of tires are they? I've never replaced tires with less than 7,5K miles unless they were puctured or I didn't like them. Where you at? The roads do have alot to do with how quick they wear but 3,5K miles on set of tires sucks. Minus burnouts.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 PM

They were the original stock Dunlop 207s.

I only got 2740 out of them...no burnouts. I would've been happy with 3500! The front was a goner too. I'll admit to being an acceleration and twisty junkie, but I'm not that agressive in the turns, and I never spin the rear (I don't think). Somebody once told me that rear brake usage can affect how the rear wears. In the MSF class I took, they did emphasize using the rear brake, so maybe I've been over-doing it? I dunno, seems kinda crazy.

Around here, the roads are mostly concrete (Texas). There are some ashpalt roads, but they are mostly residential. Most roads (including residential) are concrete.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They emphasised on using rear brake?? I mean you must use both, but this article is a good read:
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP030.html
Sorry to threadjack...

Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Awesomearticle. Sounds like the MSF course material isn't so applicable to braking...

Offering good info is never threadjacking IMO.

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

glad I live in Texas, tires are not even in the inspection prosess. it's great, turn the bike on, honk the horn, show the high beam, your done.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Ok weird what part of Texas do you live that they checked the tires? That's not part of the prosess I think they wanted you to buy new tires at the dealership.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 PM

2740??? I have the stock tires my 06 f4i....but I have like 3500 miles on em....Mine are fine. They still look new, and I tear it up.I'm ready to replace my chain...not my tires...Was your bike new or used...maybethe tires had some miles on them when you bought the bike?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Nope, I bought my bike brand new in Nov '05. Mine definitely don't look new. Did yours come with Dunlop 208s or 207s? I have 207s...I wonder if that's the difference.

I have a Vehicle Inspection Rejection Receipt, a form from the Texas DPS (with the signature of the Director of the Texas DPS on it). It has a checkbox under "Rejected for Defective" on it.

RojerLockless: Possibly your area of TX just doesn't check for it religiously?

My rear has some tread left on it, but at the center, there's very little. I've got about 1/2" or so of chicken strips on the edges of the rear. The front looks OK to me, but they said the wear bands were showing. I didn't look for them very hard because I figured the rear was close anyway, and I was going to do them both at the same time.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Nope I have same tires....I'm glad I live in AZ. We don't have inspection sticker B/S. I could run slick tires on the street...no one would care.

Quick Reply: Surprise re: Tires