CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   superbike spec F4i! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/superbike-spec-f4i-52521/)

rolandk 10-28-2007 08:59 PM

RE: superbike spec F4i!

Just out of curiousity, why not a 600RR? Its the top rated 600 and you could find anew or used'07 pretty cheap.

woodyracing 10-28-2007 09:13 PM

The 07 RR is the best 600 of 07 but its more expensive, contingency sucks, parts are expensive (HRC parts are ungodly expensive and nearly impossible to actually get), no slipper clutch doesn't help, and they aren't very popular in club racing so its more difficult to buy/borrow spare parts in case of a crash, etc. I've also heard that a lot of people are having trouble finding the right geometry set-up for the RR. If I were just wanting a street or trackday bike it would definitely be my top choice but for racing I've gotta go with Yamaha or Suzuki.

all that and the local shop that I would have to get it from still hasn't gotten any 07 RRs in yet and don't know when they will. Its really f'ed up, they had one 06 600RR that they wouldn't sell for a penny less than the 06 MSRP so they just let it sit in their shop this entire year and didn't get any 07 600RRs because of it. They just sold that 06 and are going to be waiting on the 08s to come out but they're giving me the impression that they aren't going to be getting any before spring. I could get the RR somewhere else but obviously I'm not going to be able to walk into an out of town dealership and get a bike for much less than MSRP and there's no way I'd get it for close to dealer cost.

Jaybird180 10-29-2007 10:27 AM

Go with the Gixx. I've heard stories from a local wrench about Yamaha motors (R6 and R1) blowing up. GSXR's are still cracking frames though, so it's tough.

Think you can find that article on ceramic bearings? .2 seconds is a lot.

Jaybird180 04-03-2008 03:14 PM

Where are you on this Woody?

woodyracing 04-03-2008 03:39 PM

sold the F4i and bought a CR85 mini motard
still regret letting go of the F4i but the motard is unbelievably fun

planning to get an 08 R6 in 09 to race in 09/2010 but thats a pretty good ways off

never did find that ceramic bearing article, sorry

Stephens 04-03-2008 05:02 PM

Nice bike bro, if I didnt have a baby on the way. I would be on my way to MS.

ReSpEcT 04-03-2008 06:40 PM

R1 front end swap looks alot sexier on the F4i compared to most other swaps...I think its just the look of those black forks, hehe.....=-)

woot 10-04-2009 07:40 AM

I found this thread a full 2 years after... :( I like you love my current bike - the F4. Same frame as yours, slightly different rear subframe and slightly different brakes on the front. Otherwise - pretty similar handling characteristics.

I'm currently riding an F4 - did a few track days - did the school - and now am hooked. I'm lucky in that we have a sportsman class for 10 year old bikes - meaning the F4 is a perfect match for the class.

So I'm starting to build it up - I'm looking for lots of parts on a tiny budget. At the moment my feeling is the rear shock will give me the most gain.

If you remembered much of your setup, or what parts you found gave the biggest gain on the bike I'd always be interested.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to want to turn in. There are a couple of turns where the bike feels a mile long. It has been suggested at the track I beef the rear suspension up, and add some ride height to the rear. Hopefully that'll keep the back from squatting so much which I think is causing it to lift the front and causing the front to want to shimmy/slap on the back straight.

My current shopping list includes:

- rear shock
- valved forks
- F4 rims/rotors for spares (f4i wheels were different I think)
- damper (rough track and with the rear suspension as it is the front is getting slappy at times)
- tire warmers
- tires (so many tires :()
- rear sets... although may become moot with the new rear suspension

I've already got the motor setup with K&N and a full M4 system... seems to be running well for amateur level racing anyhow.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

mikeswe 10-04-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by woot (Post 844507)
So I'm starting to build it up - I'm looking for lots of parts on a tiny budget. At the moment my feeling is the rear shock will give me the most gain.

If you remembered much of your setup, or what parts you found gave the biggest gain on the bike I'd always be interested.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to want to turn in. There are a couple of turns where the bike feels a mile long. It has been suggested at the track I beef the rear suspension up, and add some ride height to the rear. Hopefully that'll keep the back from squatting so much which I think is causing it to lift the front and causing the front to want to shimmy/slap on the back straight.

I'm also in the process of modifying my 2002 FSport (F4i) for track riding. I read on another forum that one way to improve the handling is to put shims between the shock upper mount and the frame. They recommended a 4mm spacer, I don't know what that will do with ride height but I guess around 25-30mm. Worth trying, the standard shock is of decent quality and it's very expensive to get an aftermarket one.

hondajunkie 10-05-2009 03:56 PM

Holy underwear!!
What an old thread! :icon_cankick: