CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   superbike spec F4i! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/superbike-spec-f4i-52521/)

woodyracing 10-21-2007 12:38 AM

superbike spec F4i!

I posted a little while ago about my intentions of fixing up my F4i into a track/street bike. The plan has changed a bit. I'm taking a year off of racing next year, so the project will be much more extensive. The plan is to make the F4i a superbike spec track bike. This may seem strange to most people that I'm throwing a lot of money into an uncompetitive bike but I love my F4i and I'd much rather make something awesome out of it than just buy a new bike.

Anyway, I'm getting started soon. The first item on the agenda is ordering a full exhaust and having it properly mapped. I'm most likely taking it to MSPCycles in Georgia for the dyno tuning. This has to be the first step because the F4i is currently running freakishly rich and I need to make sure a proper map will fix the issue and that there isn't an underlying problem. I also need to make sure the engine is going to hold up, its taken a pretty good beating mixed with a bit of neglect over the past couple years.

Of course the bike already has a decent bit done to it. Its track ready but I have easy connectors when/if I decide to put lights/signals back on it if it ever goes back on the street. I've got Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets, a GPR damper, Ohlins shock an endurance engineering subframe (light as hell and looks great too!), spool tabs welded on the swingarm, plenty of sprockets, good tires, aftermarket fairing stay, race gas cap, track bodywork of course, Vortex frame sliders, braided SS front brake lines, a PC3, K&N air and oil filters, and one of bootlegs shorty carbon fiber slip-on exhausts. As you can tell, most of my previous mods weren't intended for appearances or power and both of those are the key elements in this build so some of the stuff will have to go.

I will probably be getting an Akra full exhaust but when I get the bike dyno tuned, I would like to be able to put the shorty can on the akra headers to get a run with both cans. If running the shorty can does not make much of a difference and doesn't look ghetto rigged onto the akra headers I may keep that on there but if the akra does perform better with its own can, I'll have to run it like that. It will be mapped for VP racing fuel, most likely MR9 (thats some good sh!t), which also means it probably won't be used for a commuter bike lol (it'd be too expensive to ride daily anyway). I would, however, like to make it streetable. I may possibly return to the idea of the 30-second track bike, but this time making it the "30-second Superbike" haha. That takes me back of the whole problem of figuring out a way to mount a headlight in a way that is removable and not in the way. I still hadn't come up with a good solution for that one.
I considered running it as a naked bike on the street using a single headlight with bracket like most of the naked bikes use (SV650, 599, 919, Ducati Monster, etc) and just removing that and popping the fairings back on for trackdays but that would probably take more than 30 seconds and I don't think it would look as good that way. I guess I could suck it up and buy a set of sharkskinz plastics that have the headlight hole cutout with brackets. I could just use one side of the stock headlight and have the other side filled in and have my number plate painted on juts one side. Having that headlight would force the bike to be a trackday bike rather than a race bike though, which kinda sucks even though I didn't intend on actually racing it. I don't know but thats a start at least

I'll have to sell my SV650 race bike this winter to pay fund the project, once I do that the fun will really begin lol. The next major mod will be a new front end.The plan is to use the front end from an 01+ GSX-R1000 but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the[URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-06-07-Suzu

woodyracing 10-21-2007 01:41 AM

RE: superbike spec F4i!

I would like to mention that when I first began looking into the front end swap I was shocked at how many threads asking for info on doing a USD conversion were met with major bashing. It was very disheartening to find how people were being insulted for even suggesting it. That is ridiculous to me!

Most of the people doing the bashing it were doing it under the reasoning that "our bikes weren't designed for these forks"
I'm not sure if these people have noticed but "our bikes" weren't designed for anything but the parts they came with. Changing suspension components to something that it "wasn't designed for" doesn't in itself make the bike handle much differently. This isn't magic, its just physics. Your dealing with spring rates, rebound and compression damping, etc not magic potions. Now, yes if you put on a different suspension component and do keep the correct geometry (notice I said "correct" geometry not "stock" geometry), it can have a huge effect but that has nothing to do with the parts themselves, its how they were installed. Its the same as removing your forks and them putting them back on without attempting to put them at the same height.

There is very slight difference in rigidity but not enough for a street rider to notice and certainly nothing that would "ruin the handling"
Until the last couple years the only motorcycle chassis that were designed focusing on the physics and effects of rigidity as a handling factor were GP bikes, the F4i wasn't designed with a frame engineered for specific stiffness to work with only forks of a certain rigidity. The frame was designed to make the right shape and to hold all the partsin, the forks were brought over from the F4, they were slapped together, etc.

anyway, I believe I have settled on using the Sharkskinz street fairings. I'll have my painter fill in one side of the headlight hole and cut off one side of a set of stock headlights so that it has that endurance race bike look and so I can have my number plate painted on the othe side

woodyracing 10-21-2007 11:09 AM

wow, still no replies? come on guys!

I figured this would launch a pretty good debate on whether or not I'm insane for building a "superbike" F4i

anyway, here is the "before" shot, hopefully in less than year we'll have an "after" shot to go with it!
http://www.woody-racing.com/before.jpg

BishMatrix 10-21-2007 12:12 PM

Ambitious and expensive good luck hope it turns out like you picture

rodantking 10-21-2007 03:21 PM

What are adjustable triple-trees?

zach4i 10-21-2007 03:48 PM

why dont you just buy a ducati they come stock with all that shiznit

rodantking 10-21-2007 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: zach4i

why dont you just buy a ducati they come stock with all that shiznit
I aready said why. He likes the F4i. Whats wrong with that? He's not asking for you to pay.

halik008 10-21-2007 04:14 PM

i say just buy a new bike then keep the f4i as your project race bike that you just slowly build up to prefection. That way you can keep racing while making ur f4i into a real monster

suicidal 10-21-2007 06:06 PM

Thats nuts, I'm excited to see the end project. Do something different, thats my motto! Do you have more pictures of the bike before?

fishfryer527 10-21-2007 06:43 PM

I hope it works out for you as you hope, sometimes so many big changes and mods to avehicle just make it harder to set it up (will you have to revalve the front forks?), but all those mods look great. Wheels alone will make a huge difference. Good luck, keep us posted.

some guy #2 10-21-2007 06:56 PM

Does anybody race f4i's in superbike now? Will it be able to compete without any motor work?

woodyracing 10-21-2007 08:18 PM

thanks for the encouragement everyone, I appreciate it

some guy #2: I'm using the term "superbike" in the sense that its used in club racing, meaning that the bike has modifications too extensive to compete in stock classes. I guess most people nowadays read the word "superbike" and associate it with 1000cc pro racing classes that take that name (AMA, WSBK, BSB, etc).

When I first started toying with the idea of a "superbike" project, I had intended to do a couple races next year on it and as I said, with these modifications it would only be allowed in the 600 and 750 Superbike classes with WERA, hence why I started using the term. At this point, though, I'm really just planning on using this for trackdays and maybe one or two races down the road just for the hell of it. If I do race it, we're talking about club racing here, not pro racing so you don't have to have the absolute best bike to do well, its more about being a good rider than what size budget you have. Plus, in club racing, most riders don't have seperate bikes dedicated for the superbike classes, so it shouldn't be very far down.

rodantking: Attack triple clamps allow you to adjust the angle that the forks are attached to the frame by changing machined offsets where the steering stem attaches to the clamps. Attack will also custom make triples for situations like mine so that the GSX-R forks will bolt right into their triple tree on my F4i. The adjustability allows you to make small geometry changes, changing the rake and trail of the front end.

Zach4i: I would much rather spend my time and money working on my F4i than spending money and taking a huge loss to buy a new bike that after spending that much money, I wouldn't have any left to modify or customize it at all anyway. The mods I'm adding to the F4i will make it a much better track bike than a new stock 600 anyway. I'll wind up with similar power, much better suspension, better brakes and the lighter wheels/rotors will make a significant difference in accleration, handling, and braking as well. Plus it will look a thousand times better and more unique than having the same R6 or 600RR that I saw a dozen of when I drove through town the other day. And thats not even considering that my budget for this entire project is under $7k, that wouldn't buy any modern 600 and wouldn't even put a dent in the cost of a new Ducati thats track worthy so I think I'm coming out much better the way I'm going. Plus I'll have the pride of completing a complex and interesting project of making a bike I love much better in every aspect.

suicidal: I've got literally hundreds of pics, be careful what you wish for! lol I'll post a couple more though

fishfryer: It will be more complicated to find a perfect setup but GMD Computrack makes the entire process much easier. They have real-world data from thousands of race bikes, an unbelievable amount of experience, and computer simulations tot figure out the best geometry set ups and I've got them and Thermosman (and John @ CTR Suspensions if I need even more help) to get the best supsension set-up. I'm sure the forks will have to be revalved and resprung, I'd atually like to try the Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges that everyone has been raving about but that will probably be a good bit down the road.
It will probably take a decent bit of track time just working out suspension beforewe really get it dialed in but thats fine, its all part of the process. I've never ridden with aftermarket wheels but I've heard tons of people rave about them so I'm definitely excited to see what kind of difference they make as well as how much the front wave rotors and machined down rear rotor help. USD forks themselves have a good bit less unsprung

woodyracing 10-21-2007 08:40 PM

believe it or not this is what the F4i looked like when I bought it in Feb 2004:
http://www.woody-racing.com/waybefore.jpg

a couple more semi-current pics:
http://www.woody-racing.com/before2.jpg
http://www.woody-racing.com/before3.jpg

rolandk 10-21-2007 09:49 PM

Best of luck to you on your projectbut I'm gonna respectfully disagree with your logic thatspending all that money on an old school bike is better than buying a newer one. If it makes you happy thats all that matters and is totally cool but around here $6500 will buy you a KILLERnewer track bike that is very competetive in SS.

woodyracing 10-21-2007 10:13 PM

yeah, for sure I could buy a good 600 ss legal race bike for cheaper than I'm spending on this project but that wouldn't fit my need in this case. If I were going to be racing, I would have kept my SV but this is for trackdays, the rare street ride, and mostly just to have a cool project to fill an otherwise empty year. I won't be racing so a track bike would just sit in my garage for a little over a year.

I was primarily responding to the idea that buying a new 600 street bike (Ducati was mentioned as well) would be cheaper than building my F4i up to the same level.

snowboarding82 10-21-2007 10:58 PM

I like how the bike looks now! The only thing I would change is an exhaust under the seat. I really really really like the galfer rotors though I think that will be my winter project new brake system I love the blue! =D

oodayvidoo 10-21-2007 11:11 PM

i'm pretty much a newb to this superbike thing but i just wanna say that i like to Carrozzeria rims and the PVMs. those look pimp. also do they come w/ those rotors on them?

dondi 10-24-2007 12:01 AM

I think you get the award for the most interesting and ambitious project I've ever seen suggested on a motorcycleforum. Not saying that there hasn't been; just that I've never seen one...

I say go for it. What you are doing is what everybody dreams of doing to their bike.... but how many people ever get the chance to do it?

I hope you go forward with this. My selfish motive is that I will probably never be able to do this but maybe I can live vicariously through you.

I think it would be neat if you documented the project in a on going thread.

Good luck.

FLYOU 10-24-2007 01:57 AM

yeah man, good luck! if you ever in columbus OH, let me ride it!

([sm=badidea.gif])

sofakingtore420 10-24-2007 03:40 AM

if this is how a ss f4i goes over i dont wanna know yalls thoughts on turning an f4i into a trike for my gf .. i dig the thought of it as a ss ..hell i wanna run my f4i in the stock classes just cus there isnt out there being repped all i keep seeing are rr's

Ace_f4i 10-24-2007 11:45 AM

HRC makes a power up kit that overhauls the engine and increases RPMs. haven't been able to find anyone that has it to sell though. some advice though, get ceramic wheel bearings (biggg difference as in -.2 second in a 1/4mi), get PAIR valve blockoff plates, and have the head ported/polished, 7-angle valve job, and milled ~1/1000th of an inch. F4is are designed to run on 87 pump gas (so it says in the manual) and you won't get anything out of higher octane ratings unless you increase compression via head mill. if you've got someone who has a flow bench you can fill the intake side in with epoxy and drill out your own intake to get the highest gas velocity. braketech makes ceramic rotors.. 1lb 5.6oz @ 5mm thick. those are the best you can get esp with carbon material brake pads. i wouldn't bother with steel lines on the rear you will barely be using them. looks like you've got a pretty solid project man... keep us posted!

woodyracing 10-24-2007 12:27 PM

The HRC kit parts are ungodly expensive and very difficult to buy. I found a well built F4i motor for a pretty good price that I may buy if its still available when I get the $ together. Unfortunately I'm still not working much because of the collarbone, a good bit of my job requires a decent arm, which I don't currently have so money is pretty tight.

the MR9 race fuel isn't high octane, its around 91 I believe. It works very well with stock motors with a custom map (actually runs great in my stock motor SV without a PC3).
The braided lines for the rear is mostly for appearance. The rear rotor will be lightened as well but mostly for the weight. For the front brakes, I'm still not sure what I'd like to do. Performance is important but since it will only be used for trackdays I don't want to sacrifice too much in the appearance and cost departments. Right now I'm leaning towards the entire brembo kit. If I build it gradually, I may just go with the Galfers.
I'm definitely looking into the ceramic bearings, I was reading an article last night about them in a magazine from a while back. I believe we actually have a resell account with one of the companies they mentioned that makes them so I'll be looking into that in the next couple days (they ain't cheap so it would be very helpfull to get them at distributor pricing.

I'm still not 100% on the entire project. There are some other projects I'd like to have money for at the same time. This is the one I'd rather do but I still don't want to give up on the others. I'd like to buy either a used DRZ-400SM for rainy day commuting and general screwing around or a mini-motard (well set-up CR85 or CRF150) to do some racing on while I won't be able to roadrace. I'd also like to buy a good air/electric automatic tire changer to make some cash on the side (I've got a manual no-mar changer which is good for occasional changes but its a real workout, not something I want to that often).
I am 100% sure that I'm going to be doing a bit of work on the F4i but the rest of it isn'tdecided yet. I may just start off with the bodywork, getting it all street legal-ish, then add the rest as I go. Do the exhaust/tuning, then the wheels, then brakes, etc and I'll probably wait to do the front end swap until I can afford the Ohlins forks I want. I'll let ya'll know when I figure out exactly what I'm doing

qikbird14 10-24-2007 12:49 PM

Wow woody, so are you getting out of actual competition? I mean thats what is sounds like. If that is so man, to bad. I wanted to dice it up with you a little next summer. I've finally got my 07 600RR all set up. Still got the F4i hangin around as my commuter bike though. Good luck with what ever you decide.

woodyracing 10-24-2007 01:03 PM

just taking a break, moving down to Florida to go to Wyotech for just over a year. The plan is to be back racing something in 2009. No idea what, I'd be better off buying a new SV but as much as I sucked on that bike this year I kinda hate to do that again. Like I said, I could buy a 600 but I just don't think I want to jump into that class. Especially in the expert ranks, I would be fighting for 15th place the whole year, most likely.

rogcbr 10-24-2007 09:03 PM

Good luck with this project. I admit, I don't know much about this...so hard to comment. But you've given me some ideas for my F4i. I'm taking it to the track in Nov.

Where in FL are you moving to?

zach4i 10-24-2007 10:22 PM

wyotech is a good school,one of the teachers,mike tarpey,works on my bike.i need to go to school

Tahoe SC 10-25-2007 01:15 PM

woodster...the bike is going to be one bad mofo...but my worries is...um...uh...
um...how do i put this...
um...all the bling you put into it...vs...your tendency to do kartwheels in the dirt...do you understand what i'm saying? ;-)
that is going to break mah heart!

hahahhaha...it's going to be one bad F4i...i'm all for it!

woodyracing 10-25-2007 04:31 PM

lol yeah I have been a bit crash prone this year (5 in one year lol)
to be fair, though, only two of them were caused by me. I had 2 front end tucks (I f'in hate my SVs front end), one avoiding a down rider, one mechanical (losing brakes at the end of RA back straight), and got hit from behind once.
thats with more than 40 days on track, most of which racing, this year.

anyway, this whole situation is becoming a bit more complicated. I stopped by a local dealership that helps me out a bit with some discounts on stuff and the topic was brought up of them getting me a deal on a new GSX-R600. We talked about me getting a new bike, using next year to prep it while breaking it in street riding while at wyotech and then coming back and racing on it in 2009. They're looking into what kind of price they could get me one for with a "sponsorship" type discount. Thats definitely not what I had planned to do but I'm kinda getting into the idea. Hopefully with a year to do some trackdays and ride the bike on the street I would be comfortable enough with the bike to go well on it when I get ready to do a full race season on the bike.

Even with a good deal (I doubt they'll go as far as selling it to me for dealer cost), I would probably have to sell or part out the F4i along with selling the SV so it would be a big sacrifice but then I would have a good bike (a good project as well) and would also be ready to go racing as soon as I'm done down in Florida. Either way, I'm just realizing how strange its gonna be to only have 2 motorcycles next year lol

I hate to say it but its very possible I may not own any Hondas pretty soon :(
I'll still have the Ruckus though, can we have a section on here for the Ruckus?

sofakingtore420 10-25-2007 08:06 PM

ill give you the ruckus board if i can post about my 125cc off brand bike in there..dont knock it yeah i know its off brand but i got it new in a factory crate for 430bucks shipped ..its a blast and a half.. but yeah keep us informed on what youll be running and gsx-r's are nice bikes though the i dont like the way i sit on them .at 6'2' i sit a lil high on the huggers. atleast the f4i i can sit more upright and more comfertably manuver my longer arms

woodyracing 10-28-2007 08:49 PM

Well folks, this project has been officially canned.
I can't even explain how dissapointed I am but unfortunately this is one of those times where what I need to do is more important than what I want to do.
I am very excited about getting a new bike, don't get me wrong, it just really really really really sucks that I'm going to have to sell my F4i. Easily my favorite of all the bikes I've owned.

I've decided on buying an 08 GSX-R600 or R6, depending on which I can get cheapest and earliest. I don't have a favorite of the two yet since there aren't any reviews/comparos yet but I know I liked the 07 GSX-R more than the 07 R6 but that was just because of a few issues that we don't yet know if Yamaha addressed for 08, so we'll see. Again, the decision will be 90% based on cost, I really need to get one close to dealer cost and thats not an easy task

Unfortunately all this means is that I won't own a Honda anymore (other than the Ruckus) which is going to be a bit strange for me cause I love my RR and F4i (mostly the F4i lol).

Anyway, here are my two possibilities:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7...cwhe192ci1.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4...ahar612tl6.jpg

rolandk 10-28-2007 08:59 PM

Just out of curiousity, why not a 600RR? Its the top rated 600 and you could find anew or used'07 pretty cheap.

woodyracing 10-28-2007 09:13 PM

The 07 RR is the best 600 of 07 but its more expensive, contingency sucks, parts are expensive (HRC parts are ungodly expensive and nearly impossible to actually get), no slipper clutch doesn't help, and they aren't very popular in club racing so its more difficult to buy/borrow spare parts in case of a crash, etc. I've also heard that a lot of people are having trouble finding the right geometry set-up for the RR. If I were just wanting a street or trackday bike it would definitely be my top choice but for racing I've gotta go with Yamaha or Suzuki.

all that and the local shop that I would have to get it from still hasn't gotten any 07 RRs in yet and don't know when they will. Its really f'ed up, they had one 06 600RR that they wouldn't sell for a penny less than the 06 MSRP so they just let it sit in their shop this entire year and didn't get any 07 600RRs because of it. They just sold that 06 and are going to be waiting on the 08s to come out but they're giving me the impression that they aren't going to be getting any before spring. I could get the RR somewhere else but obviously I'm not going to be able to walk into an out of town dealership and get a bike for much less than MSRP and there's no way I'd get it for close to dealer cost.

Jaybird180 10-29-2007 10:27 AM

Go with the Gixx. I've heard stories from a local wrench about Yamaha motors (R6 and R1) blowing up. GSXR's are still cracking frames though, so it's tough.

Think you can find that article on ceramic bearings? .2 seconds is a lot.

Jaybird180 04-03-2008 03:14 PM

Where are you on this Woody?

woodyracing 04-03-2008 03:39 PM

sold the F4i and bought a CR85 mini motard
still regret letting go of the F4i but the motard is unbelievably fun

planning to get an 08 R6 in 09 to race in 09/2010 but thats a pretty good ways off

never did find that ceramic bearing article, sorry

Stephens 04-03-2008 05:02 PM

Nice bike bro, if I didnt have a baby on the way. I would be on my way to MS.

ReSpEcT 04-03-2008 06:40 PM

R1 front end swap looks alot sexier on the F4i compared to most other swaps...I think its just the look of those black forks, hehe.....=-)

woot 10-04-2009 07:40 AM

I found this thread a full 2 years after... :( I like you love my current bike - the F4. Same frame as yours, slightly different rear subframe and slightly different brakes on the front. Otherwise - pretty similar handling characteristics.

I'm currently riding an F4 - did a few track days - did the school - and now am hooked. I'm lucky in that we have a sportsman class for 10 year old bikes - meaning the F4 is a perfect match for the class.

So I'm starting to build it up - I'm looking for lots of parts on a tiny budget. At the moment my feeling is the rear shock will give me the most gain.

If you remembered much of your setup, or what parts you found gave the biggest gain on the bike I'd always be interested.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to want to turn in. There are a couple of turns where the bike feels a mile long. It has been suggested at the track I beef the rear suspension up, and add some ride height to the rear. Hopefully that'll keep the back from squatting so much which I think is causing it to lift the front and causing the front to want to shimmy/slap on the back straight.

My current shopping list includes:

- rear shock
- valved forks
- F4 rims/rotors for spares (f4i wheels were different I think)
- damper (rough track and with the rear suspension as it is the front is getting slappy at times)
- tire warmers
- tires (so many tires :()
- rear sets... although may become moot with the new rear suspension

I've already got the motor setup with K&N and a full M4 system... seems to be running well for amateur level racing anyhow.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

mikeswe 10-04-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by woot (Post 844507)
So I'm starting to build it up - I'm looking for lots of parts on a tiny budget. At the moment my feeling is the rear shock will give me the most gain.

If you remembered much of your setup, or what parts you found gave the biggest gain on the bike I'd always be interested.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to want to turn in. There are a couple of turns where the bike feels a mile long. It has been suggested at the track I beef the rear suspension up, and add some ride height to the rear. Hopefully that'll keep the back from squatting so much which I think is causing it to lift the front and causing the front to want to shimmy/slap on the back straight.

I'm also in the process of modifying my 2002 FSport (F4i) for track riding. I read on another forum that one way to improve the handling is to put shims between the shock upper mount and the frame. They recommended a 4mm spacer, I don't know what that will do with ride height but I guess around 25-30mm. Worth trying, the standard shock is of decent quality and it's very expensive to get an aftermarket one.

hondajunkie 10-05-2009 03:56 PM

Holy underwear!!
What an old thread! :icon_cankick: