F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

superbike spec F4i!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: superbike spec F4i!

HRC makes a power up kit that overhauls the engine and increases RPMs. haven't been able to find anyone that has it to sell though. some advice though, get ceramic wheel bearings (biggg difference as in -.2 second in a 1/4mi), get PAIR valve blockoff plates, and have the head ported/polished, 7-angle valve job, and milled ~1/1000th of an inch. F4is are designed to run on 87 pump gas (so it says in the manual) and you won't get anything out of higher octane ratings unless you increase compression via head mill. if you've got someone who has a flow bench you can fill the intake side in with epoxy and drill out your own intake to get the highest gas velocity. braketech makes ceramic rotors.. 1lb 5.6oz @ 5mm thick. those are the best you can get esp with carbon material brake pads. i wouldn't bother with steel lines on the rear you will barely be using them. looks like you've got a pretty solid project man... keep us posted!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 PM

The HRC kit parts are ungodly expensive and very difficult to buy. I found a well built F4i motor for a pretty good price that I may buy if its still available when I get the $ together. Unfortunately I'm still not working much because of the collarbone, a good bit of my job requires a decent arm, which I don't currently have so money is pretty tight.

the MR9 race fuel isn't high octane, its around 91 I believe. It works very well with stock motors with a custom map (actually runs great in my stock motor SV without a PC3).
The braided lines for the rear is mostly for appearance. The rear rotor will be lightened as well but mostly for the weight. For the front brakes, I'm still not sure what I'd like to do. Performance is important but since it will only be used for trackdays I don't want to sacrifice too much in the appearance and cost departments. Right now I'm leaning towards the entire brembo kit. If I build it gradually, I may just go with the Galfers.
I'm definitely looking into the ceramic bearings, I was reading an article last night about them in a magazine from a while back. I believe we actually have a resell account with one of the companies they mentioned that makes them so I'll be looking into that in the next couple days (they ain't cheap so it would be very helpfull to get them at distributor pricing.

I'm still not 100% on the entire project. There are some other projects I'd like to have money for at the same time. This is the one I'd rather do but I still don't want to give up on the others. I'd like to buy either a used DRZ-400SM for rainy day commuting and general screwing around or a mini-motard (well set-up CR85 or CRF150) to do some racing on while I won't be able to roadrace. I'd also like to buy a good air/electric automatic tire changer to make some cash on the side (I've got a manual no-mar changer which is good for occasional changes but its a real workout, not something I want to that often).
I am 100% sure that I'm going to be doing a bit of work on the F4i but the rest of it isn'tdecided yet. I may just start off with the bodywork, getting it all street legal-ish, then add the rest as I go. Do the exhaust/tuning, then the wheels, then brakes, etc and I'll probably wait to do the front end swap until I can afford the Ohlins forks I want. I'll let ya'll know when I figure out exactly what I'm doing

Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Wow woody, so are you getting out of actual competition? I mean thats what is sounds like. If that is so man, to bad. I wanted to dice it up with you a little next summer. I've finally got my 07 600RR all set up. Still got the F4i hangin around as my commuter bike though. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM

just taking a break, moving down to Florida to go to Wyotech for just over a year. The plan is to be back racing something in 2009. No idea what, I'd be better off buying a new SV but as much as I sucked on that bike this year I kinda hate to do that again. Like I said, I could buy a 600 but I just don't think I want to jump into that class. Especially in the expert ranks, I would be fighting for 15th place the whole year, most likely.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Good luck with this project. I admit, I don't know much about this...so hard to comment. But you've given me some ideas for my F4i. I'm taking it to the track in Nov.

Where in FL are you moving to?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM

wyotech is a good school,one of the teachers,mike tarpey,works on my bike.i need to go to school

Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woodster...the bike is going to be one bad ****...but my worries is...um...uh...
um...how do i put this...
um...all the bling you put into it...vs...your tendency to do kartwheels in the dirt...do you understand what i'm saying? ;-)
that is going to break mah heart!

hahahhaha...it's going to be one bad F4i...i'm all for it!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM

lol yeah I have been a bit crash prone this year (5 in one year lol)
to be fair, though, only two of them were caused by me. I had 2 front end tucks (I f'in hate my SVs front end), one avoiding a down rider, one mechanical (losing brakes at the end of RA back straight), and got hit from behind once.
thats with more than 40 days on track, most of which racing, this year.

anyway, this whole situation is becoming a bit more complicated. I stopped by a local dealership that helps me out a bit with some discounts on stuff and the topic was brought up of them getting me a deal on a new GSX-R600. We talked about me getting a new bike, using next year to prep it while breaking it in street riding while at wyotech and then coming back and racing on it in 2009. They're looking into what kind of price they could get me one for with a "sponsorship" type discount. Thats definitely not what I had planned to do but I'm kinda getting into the idea. Hopefully with a year to do some trackdays and ride the bike on the street I would be comfortable enough with the bike to go well on it when I get ready to do a full race season on the bike.

Even with a good deal (I doubt they'll go as far as selling it to me for dealer cost), I would probably have to sell or part out the F4i along with selling the SV so it would be a big sacrifice but then I would have a good bike (a good project as well) and would also be ready to go racing as soon as I'm done down in Florida. Either way, I'm just realizing how strange its gonna be to only have 2 motorcycles next year lol

I hate to say it but its very possible I may not own any Hondas pretty soon
I'll still have the Ruckus though, can we have a section on here for the Ruckus?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM

ill give you the ruckus board if i can post about my 125cc off brand bike in there..dont knock it yeah i know its off brand but i got it new in a factory crate for 430bucks shipped ..its a blast and a half.. but yeah keep us informed on what youll be running and gsx-r's are nice bikes though the i dont like the way i sit on them .at 6'2' i sit a lil high on the huggers. atleast the f4i i can sit more upright and more comfertably manuver my longer arms

Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM

Well folks, this project has been officially canned.
I can't even explain how dissapointed I am but unfortunately this is one of those times where what I need to do is more important than what I want to do.
I am very excited about getting a new bike, don't get me wrong, it just really really really really sucks that I'm going to have to sell my F4i. Easily my favorite of all the bikes I've owned.

I've decided on buying an 08 GSX-R600 or R6, depending on which I can get cheapest and earliest. I don't have a favorite of the two yet since there aren't any reviews/comparos yet but I know I liked the 07 GSX-R more than the 07 R6 but that was just because of a few issues that we don't yet know if Yamaha addressed for 08, so we'll see. Again, the decision will be 90% based on cost, I really need to get one close to dealer cost and thats not an easy task

Unfortunately all this means is that I won't own a Honda anymore (other than the Ruckus) which is going to be a bit strange for me cause I love my RR and F4i (mostly the F4i lol).

Anyway, here are my two possibilities:

Quick Reply: superbike spec F4i!