F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

superbike spec F4i!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: superbike spec F4i!

Does anybody race f4i's in superbike now? Will it be able to compete without any motor work?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM

thanks for the encouragement everyone, I appreciate it

some guy #2: I'm using the term "superbike" in the sense that its used in club racing, meaning that the bike has modifications too extensive to compete in stock classes. I guess most people nowadays read the word "superbike" and associate it with 1000cc pro racing classes that take that name (AMA, WSBK, BSB, etc).

When I first started toying with the idea of a "superbike" project, I had intended to do a couple races next year on it and as I said, with these modifications it would only be allowed in the 600 and 750 Superbike classes with WERA, hence why I started using the term. At this point, though, I'm really just planning on using this for trackdays and maybe one or two races down the road just for the hell of it. If I do race it, we're talking about club racing here, not pro racing so you don't have to have the absolute best bike to do well, its more about being a good rider than what size budget you have. Plus, in club racing, most riders don't have seperate bikes dedicated for the superbike classes, so it shouldn't be very far down.

rodantking: Attack triple clamps allow you to adjust the angle that the forks are attached to the frame by changing machined offsets where the steering stem attaches to the clamps. Attack will also custom make triples for situations like mine so that the GSX-R forks will bolt right into their triple tree on my F4i. The adjustability allows you to make small geometry changes, changing the rake and trail of the front end.

Zach4i: I would much rather spend my time and money working on my F4i than spending money and taking a huge loss to buy a new bike that after spending that much money, I wouldn't have any left to modify or customize it at all anyway. The mods I'm adding to the F4i will make it a much better track bike than a new stock 600 anyway. I'll wind up with similar power, much better suspension, better brakes and the lighter wheels/rotors will make a significant difference in accleration, handling, and braking as well. Plus it will look a thousand times better and more unique than having the same R6 or 600RR that I saw a dozen of when I drove through town the other day. And thats not even considering that my budget for this entire project is under $7k, that wouldn't buy any modern 600 and wouldn't even put a dent in the cost of a new Ducati thats track worthy so I think I'm coming out much better the way I'm going. Plus I'll have the pride of completing a complex and interesting project of making a bike I love much better in every aspect.

suicidal: I've got literally hundreds of pics, be careful what you wish for! lol I'll post a couple more though

fishfryer: It will be more complicated to find a perfect setup but GMD Computrack makes the entire process much easier. They have real-world data from thousands of race bikes, an unbelievable amount of experience, and computer simulations tot figure out the best geometry set ups and I've got them and Thermosman (and John @ CTR Suspensions if I need even more help) to get the best supsension set-up. I'm sure the forks will have to be revalved and resprung, I'd atually like to try the Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges that everyone has been raving about but that will probably be a good bit down the road.
It will probably take a decent bit of track time just working out suspension beforewe really get it dialed in but thats fine, its all part of the process. I've never ridden with aftermarket wheels but I've heard tons of people rave about them so I'm definitely excited to see what kind of difference they make as well as how much the front wave rotors and machined down rear rotor help. USD forks themselves have a good bit less unsprung

Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM

believe it or not this is what the F4i looked like when I bought it in Feb 2004:

a couple more semi-current pics:

Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM

Best of luck to you on your projectbut I'm gonna respectfully disagree with your logic thatspending all that money on an old school bike is better than buying a newer one. If it makes you happy thats all that matters and is totally cool but around here $6500 will buy you a KILLERnewer track bike that is very competetive in SS.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM

yeah, for sure I could buy a good 600 ss legal race bike for cheaper than I'm spending on this project but that wouldn't fit my need in this case. If I were going to be racing, I would have kept my SV but this is for trackdays, the rare street ride, and mostly just to have a cool project to fill an otherwise empty year. I won't be racing so a track bike would just sit in my garage for a little over a year.

I was primarily responding to the idea that buying a new 600 street bike (Ducati was mentioned as well) would be cheaper than building my F4i up to the same level.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 PM

I like how the bike looks now! The only thing I would change is an exhaust under the seat. I really really really like the galfer rotors though I think that will be my winter project new brake system I love the blue! =D

Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM

i'm pretty much a newb to this superbike thing but i just wanna say that i like to Carrozzeria rims and the PVMs. those look pimp. also do they come w/ those rotors on them?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 AM

I think you get the award for the most interesting and ambitious project I've ever seen suggested on a motorcycleforum. Not saying that there hasn't been; just that I've never seen one...

I say go for it. What you are doing is what everybody dreams of doing to their bike.... but how many people ever get the chance to do it?

I hope you go forward with this. My selfish motive is that I will probably never be able to do this but maybe I can live vicariously through you.

I think it would be neat if you documented the project in a on going thread.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 AM

yeah man, good luck! if you ever in columbus OH, let me ride it!

([sm=badidea.gif])

Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 AM

if this is how a ss f4i goes over i dont wanna know yalls thoughts on turning an f4i into a trike for my gf .. i dig the thought of it as a ss ..hell i wanna run my f4i in the stock classes just cus there isnt out there being repped all i keep seeing are rr's

Quick Reply: superbike spec F4i!