F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Summer Bike Overhaul Project

Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summer Bike Overhaul Project

I'm just going to make one thread for all my tinkering questions so that I don't blow up the forums (and so that I don't have to track multiple threads).

This morning's question: Braided Brake Lines

I see some of you got in on the braided brake line group buy; too bad for me I was too late for it!

Since the moto-heaven lines were good enough for a group buy, I'll probably pick some of those up. For the other folks that picked some up (or bought other lines):

Did you just get stock length, or did you get a little extra? If you got extra, why?

I notice some other sites have different options for angled banjo heads: Is there any benefit to that or should I just order the regular kit?

Titanium seems to carry a pretty heavy premium; is there any real benefit, or is it just a weight reduction thing?

Is it really worth $40 for colored bolts, or should I just get a can of spray paint for $7 bucks at the Depot and color my own bolts?

Any tips on changing the brake fluid for a noob who's never done it? Is there a cheapish tool out there that makes it easier, or am I good with the usual assortment of tools? Anyone ever used speedbleeders with stainless lines, and if so would those help at all (and which ones should I get)?

Anyone happen to pick up the transparent denim lines, and if so could you snap a shot or two of them on the bike?

Thanks much

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Titanium is a race track option, no point to the street.

I can't tell from the teeny pic of your bike what model it is, but if you are running DOT3, don't paint the bolts, the fluid (which you will spill some) will eat the paint. Some things just wear better with the powdercoat/anodize finish. (This being one of them, imo)

If you order bike-specific kit, you don't have to worry about the angles or lengths. If not, get some string to follow your lines and measure those and make note of the angles on the ends.

I have heard nothing but raves on the speed-bleeders (including my dad, the ultimate sceptic). I'm just too cheap and already have a vacume pump, ;-)

If you do a search in the how-to section on bleeding brakes, you'll find several excellent threads. I like to cross-reference several different threads, so I get all of the juicy tid-bits of advice.

Be aware that the lines are considerably smaller diameter than stock, so you will want to figure out a clean way to secure them through the old runs.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the lines, do the research and over-haul the calipers (and change the pads if they need it). That gives you complete assurance of a VERY critical sub-system on your bike.

If you aren't in a hurry, haunt ebay. I picked up a complete set of lines (front and rear)for a total of $80, but it took me 3 months of regular searches to do it.

Good luck and remember...Enjoy the wrenching in it's own right. Don't rush through it just to get back in the saddle.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 05-01-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks Ern

My bike's an 01 F4i, so I think it uses DOT4. From what I understand, though, brake fluid is pretty bad no matter what kind it is, and no matter what it gets on. Good point about the paint. It turns out I may be getting some other stuff powder coated anyway, so it'll probably be cheaper for them to just coat the OEM bolts.

I'll check out some of the brake bleeding threads and see if there's something on Youtube.

I had the brakes replaced ~ 2000 mi ago, so I imagine they're still fine. The shop checked out the calipers at the same time, so those should be good also. On the other hand, most of the bike is going to end up on the garage floor for a while, including the wheels, so double checking is probably a good idea. Would a micrometer be useful for that?

There's going to be enough stuff getting replaced that I'll want to make sure everything is working just-so before I try to ride it anywhere.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to enjoy the wrenching; I was never a bike fan of mechanic stuff before I bought my bike, but now I want to know how everything works (and clean it up, cause the clean looking bikes floating around here put mine to shame!)

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 PM

Okay, I think I have my plan worked out, more or less.

Any thoughts on any of the following? I plan to paint or powder coat the frame (matte black), pegs, wheels (both red), tank, and headers (both white.)

Planned Upgrades:

Playboy Fairings & Clear Windscreen (Replace yellow w/ red, gold w/ Gray, add custom graphic to the nose.)
Bolts (Black? White? Red?)
HID Kit (5-6k)
Integrated Mirrors
Stainless Steel Lines (Front & Rear, Steel Banjo & Trans Red Lines):
Levers (Red w/ Black Adjuster)
LED Gauge Swap
Gas Cap
Stompgrip (Black/Clear?)
Exhaust
Undertail

Pics of the bike currently to come later for before & after goodness.

Last edited by vegas_rebel; 05-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Pulled the trigger on the fairings from CBRFairings today ($665 shipped) and gloss black bolts from bikebolts.com ($39.11 after the discount code).

Bikebolts is easy to order from, and their shipping is cheap, but that's about all I can say.

CBRFairings has been very accommodating with my questions and requests, so we'll see how the ordering process and install goes, plus whether they give me a discount for showing pics of my bike.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that should look great! I like your colour choices! What does the custom nose graphic mean?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks

The graphic is from an old game I used to play. The group that the symbol represented (Glass Walkers) believed (briefly) that the answer to basically any problem was technology, properly applied. I like the philosophy, adopted the symbol, and have the graphic inked on the back of my neck. I painted it on my old fairings, but wanted it more professionally done on this set. So now it'll be on the nose, and my new GLSWKR custom plates

Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that they chose a Chinese character to respresent such a philosophy. It seems to me that idea goes against everything the Chinese people believe in? Not trying to be critical, I think it is a really cool looking symbol! I also think the idea of techonology solving all of our problems will become more and more apparent as technology evolves. I read recently that if computer processor speeds grow exponentially at the same rate they are right now we will be able to create god by the year 2050. It was a very interesting theory, but the basic principal was that a super computer of that era will be able to process the equivelant amount of data as 5 million human brains simultaniously, essentially making it a diety. Sorry for going off topic, enjoy your build!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM

I don't think it's Chinese in specific, just tribal looking. It's not a Kanji or anything, and I don't think it has any meaning outside of the game.

You're right about tech, though. I'm really into that sort of stuff (some of my writing is on the blog linked.) God by 2050 seems a little optimistic, but Ray Kurzweil's Singularity is pretty close to what you're talking about.

In on-topic news, CRBRFairings sent me a notice that my fairings went into production already, but also said that they can't do the graphic (which is aggravating, because they said they could first.) I have an email in for clarification, but may end up having to get a vinyl decal or something done.

I saw LJ Harp used to do decals, anyone know if he still does? There's a site that'll make it for ~15 bucks if not.

Edit: Never Mind. They "checked with the designer" and are now able to do the decal. So, woot. Still might retain LJ's services if he's available though. I have another decal idea... mwaha.

Last edited by vegas_rebel; 05-04-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 AM

Pics taken today as a baseline.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0049.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0050.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0051.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0052.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0053.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summer Bike Overhaul Project