F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Steering stabalizer... worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabalizer... worth the $$$?

Well me and a friend were talking and he said that i should get a steering stabalizer if im going to be doing wheelis. I thought that it would hurt me and not help, i was under the impression that if you land the front tire on the ground crooked and had a stabalizer it would try to keep the wheel in the direction it landed. I mainly just street ride and a wheelie or race here and there. Ill probably never take it to the road course. So what do you guys think?

Old 08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Steering stabalizer... worth the $$$?

everyone i talk to that has one says they'll never ride another bike w/out one. They will always have one. I think you have the wrong idea about how they work, but then again I don't know exactly how they work.

My friend just put one on his RR after he hit some tracks and his front tire was going wild, he had to down shift and gun it to pick it up off the ground to stabilize it. After that he bought one, and he said he would never go without one.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth the $$$?? ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!![sm=signs007.gif] The purpose of the steering damper is to keep the bars from oscillating on their own, aka tankslapper. Now doing wheelies, damper or no damper, you must keep them straight when you land or your gonna go somewhere you don't want to go... period. If you land crooked, yea the damper might hold it in that direction, but without a damper it's more than likely going to jerk all the way to one side or the other, which leads to a tankslapper... not good!

[sm=trust_me.gif], get one and you won't regret it. After riding with a damper riding without one feels weird, lol. I remember one time in particular my damper saved my *** hardcore. One sunday afternoon, I was coming home from one of our sunday group rides. It was pouring down rain (like it did everyday about that time), and I was going from one highway to another, going across a long curved overpass with metal expansion joints going across the road (on the curve). I wasn't going that fast at all, but I guess I hit it just at the right angle the front tire started to slip out then caught traction again. It snapped the steering pretty good, and I could feel it hit the resistance of the damper. Aside from scaring the crap out of me, kept on going with no harm done. I kissed that damper when I got home [sm=hail.gif]

Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

if you ever try doing an endo then by god you need one,

as far as wheelies it helps for sure if you drop one down crappy your front tire always has a chance to tank slap, with a dampner it stops that.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:26 AM

So now which brand is best and where do i get it from?

Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 AM

yes, it is worth the money... I would never ride w/out it... I had a gpr, and it SUCKED... I stick with scotts all the way, on dirt or street.

I have one for sale off my totalled 600rr... its been on for 1 1/2 months.. EXCELLENT CONDITION...
I have a guy buying it tomorrow, but if he falls through, its yours for 350 shipped. thats the full mount kit, and damper body...

scotts is definatelly the way to go.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:57 AM

LMK, if that deal falls through and as long as it fits on my 02 f4i consider it sold to me.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 AM

How about either of these on ebay? Their alot cheaper but is it really worth spending the extra for a scotts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GPR-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-04-2005, 08:43 AM

the gpr is the stabilizer i had prior... junk to me... sold it for 200 cause it wasnt my type...

scotts saved my *** a few times tell ya that.. comin down wheel slightly turned at 90 mph in a wheelie, woowheee im alive still lol, didnt help with a semi truck, but eh lol...

ill let u know today.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an Ohlins on mine, works great! I've been real happy with it

Quick Reply: Steering stabalizer... worth the $$$?