CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   steering is shaky, do i need a damper? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/steering-shaky-do-i-need-damper-33629/)

spotthedogg 03-17-2007 12:46 PM

RE: steering is shaky, do i need a damper?

+1 check your pressure, look at the tread condition any scalloping?

ikhoudvanu199 03-17-2007 01:26 PM

tire pressure is not an issue, it is exactly up to spec, i made sure of that before i went out at the beginning of the week

what is scalloping?

95camaro01f4i 03-17-2007 04:48 PM

i gona throw this out there cuase no one else has said it. did you let it sit on stands for the winter or the tires. if it sat on the tires it could have flat spots on them

chadd600 03-17-2007 08:58 PM

To check play in the steering, put the front tire between your legs tightly. grab bars and try to move them without the tire moving, you shouldn't be able too. One way to check your frame is too strip all body work and look close at all fasteners see if any have moved.If they have it won't be very much but it means something got bent.

ikhoudvanu199 03-17-2007 11:19 PM

it was sitting on the tires for the winter...but i kept moving it quite often...so i dont think thats the problem

and i didnt think of checking the tire w/ it between my legs...ive been mountain biking since i could walk, so i know that trick!:D

from what ive heard...it doesnt seem like the frame could be the problem...its a vibrating, no so much a misalignment problem

i just wish there wasnt 6" of snow on the ground...so i could go out and test everything out

Leveltwo 03-18-2007 02:57 PM

f4is have vibrations in the handlebars normally, is it a vibration, or can you see the handlebars shaking?

ikhoudvanu199 03-18-2007 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Leveltwo

f4is have vibrations in the handlebars normally, is it a vibration, or can you see the handlebars shaking?
ahhh...all these things to look for next time i ride...and 6 inches of snow on the ground

[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

orags 03-19-2007 07:38 AM

At what speed do you feel the vibrations?

Blue Fox 03-19-2007 09:50 AM

If it's vibrations (and they get more intense the faster you go).....usually it's a unbalanced (or flat spotted) tire. That's pretty cheap to check and rule out, so I would take it to a shop and have them rebalance your tires and check them over. If it stops......horay! If it continues, you know it's not the tires or wheels. (and have them do both front and back).

Also, if it's misaligned, usually the bike will pull slightly to either side. So I would check to see if it pulls to one side or the other.

Other than that, no clue.

Ruftags 03-19-2007 02:28 PM

I have the same problem intermitantly, it depends on the type of road I'm on, the rougher the worse it gets. From doin wheelies someone told me my front wheel bearings were egged out do to hard landings. Do u stunt at all or hit a large hole when you went down.?