CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   steering is shaky, do i need a damper? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/steering-shaky-do-i-need-damper-33629/)

ikhoudvanu199 03-16-2007 09:30 PM

steering is shaky, do i need a damper?

when i was out riding at the beginning of this week(before the snow [:@]), i noticed that my steering is a little shaky...i feel like the handle bars are shaking, even when going straight, but especially when turning...im wondering what could be causing this, here are my ideas:
-im just riding super tense because of my crash and the condition of the roads
-the frame is bent from the crash :(
-i need a steering damper
-i need to change my body position and the way i hold my handle bars
if anyone can offer up some advice that'd be great
also, if you think i need a damper, how much am i looking to pay for my 06 f4i?

ampfp 03-16-2007 09:37 PM

RE: steering is shaky, do i need a damper?

possible causes I can think of:
1> Steering bearings are messed up (try shaking steering while stationary)
2> Wheel alignment problem (check it)
3> Wheel rim bent/dented
4> Frame or something else bent (max pain :( )

Cant think how it could relate to the way you ride...

ikhoudvanu199 03-16-2007 10:32 PM

remember, im a total n00b with this whole motorcycle thing

could anyone tell me how to check each of these things?

kup125 03-16-2007 11:06 PM

i say you might want to see if your tires are still balanced....

IDL 03-16-2007 11:33 PM

Yeah, like everyone else said..
Your steering should not be shaky going down the road. I think something has to be out of whack

ikhoudvanu199 03-16-2007 11:52 PM

how doi check my tire balance? is it something i can do at home, i only have a rear center stand

ADOLPH 03-17-2007 12:22 AM

HOW MANY MILES DO U HAVE ON IT? HAS IT BEEN LAID DOWN OR WRECKED?

BMoneyF4i 03-17-2007 12:55 AM

Your steering shouldn't be shaky, and I wouldn't ride till you find the problem. You should take your wheels, with tires on them, to a dealer, or bike shop and have them check your tire balance. Before you take the wheels off, or take your bike to the shop, shake your handle bars back and forth, the wheel should shake with it, with no slop. If your tire isn't just as responsive something isn't right. If you don't feel comfortable checking this stuff yourself just take your bike to a dealer/bike shop and tell them your problem.

ikhoudvanu199 03-17-2007 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: ADOLPH

HOW MANY MILES DO U HAVE ON IT? HAS IT BEEN LAID DOWN OR WRECKED?
2500 mi...and yea, i dropped it in jan at about 30 mph, only slid bout 10 ft on dirt

Anakedman 03-17-2007 12:17 PM

Check your air pressure in your tires. Consult manual for proper air pressure.

spotthedogg 03-17-2007 12:46 PM

+1 check your pressure, look at the tread condition any scalloping?

ikhoudvanu199 03-17-2007 01:26 PM

tire pressure is not an issue, it is exactly up to spec, i made sure of that before i went out at the beginning of the week

what is scalloping?

95camaro01f4i 03-17-2007 04:48 PM

i gona throw this out there cuase no one else has said it. did you let it sit on stands for the winter or the tires. if it sat on the tires it could have flat spots on them

chadd600 03-17-2007 08:58 PM

To check play in the steering, put the front tire between your legs tightly. grab bars and try to move them without the tire moving, you shouldn't be able too. One way to check your frame is too strip all body work and look close at all fasteners see if any have moved.If they have it won't be very much but it means something got bent.

ikhoudvanu199 03-17-2007 11:19 PM

it was sitting on the tires for the winter...but i kept moving it quite often...so i dont think thats the problem

and i didnt think of checking the tire w/ it between my legs...ive been mountain biking since i could walk, so i know that trick!:D

from what ive heard...it doesnt seem like the frame could be the problem...its a vibrating, no so much a misalignment problem

i just wish there wasnt 6" of snow on the ground...so i could go out and test everything out

Leveltwo 03-18-2007 02:57 PM

f4is have vibrations in the handlebars normally, is it a vibration, or can you see the handlebars shaking?

ikhoudvanu199 03-18-2007 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Leveltwo

f4is have vibrations in the handlebars normally, is it a vibration, or can you see the handlebars shaking?
ahhh...all these things to look for next time i ride...and 6 inches of snow on the ground

[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

orags 03-19-2007 07:38 AM

At what speed do you feel the vibrations?

Blue Fox 03-19-2007 09:50 AM

If it's vibrations (and they get more intense the faster you go).....usually it's a unbalanced (or flat spotted) tire. That's pretty cheap to check and rule out, so I would take it to a shop and have them rebalance your tires and check them over. If it stops......horay! If it continues, you know it's not the tires or wheels. (and have them do both front and back).

Also, if it's misaligned, usually the bike will pull slightly to either side. So I would check to see if it pulls to one side or the other.

Other than that, no clue.

Ruftags 03-19-2007 02:28 PM

I have the same problem intermitantly, it depends on the type of road I'm on, the rougher the worse it gets. From doin wheelies someone told me my front wheel bearings were egged out do to hard landings. Do u stunt at all or hit a large hole when you went down.?

ikhoudvanu199 03-20-2007 01:14 AM

most of the problems you have been telling me to look for, i cant, cause theres still 6" of snow on the ground

no, i dont stunt, at all...i only have 2500 mi under my belt...and dont plan on stunting

ninetyfivehp 03-20-2007 08:04 PM

doesn't sound like a bid deal. a wheel weight could have slung off when you lowsided causing a wheel balance issue.;)

ikhoudvanu199 03-20-2007 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivehp

doesn't sound like a bid deal. a wheel weight could have slung off when you lowsided causing a wheel balance issue.;)
a wheel weight? are there weights added onto the wheels to balance them?

<----n00b

kup125 03-20-2007 10:20 PM

^ you got it

ikhoudvanu199 03-20-2007 10:24 PM

and where would i find these? how do i know if one fell off?

cbr_newbie 03-21-2007 02:42 AM

u loser a bar end? sometimes i hear about people getting little wobbles from loosing one end. Also what kind of streets your driving on could affect how ur front tire reacts.. O another thing put your hand on top of the front tire and slide it down to the bottom around the peak of your tire, if you feel little waves buy a new tire =]

ikhoudvanu199 03-21-2007 02:48 PM

i lost a bar end in an earlier, minor drop...but didnt notice the vibrations then...i wish i could ride so i can get an idea what this is...but i will run my hand over my tire