F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Stator Vs. R/R With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try this guide. It's a general diagnostic guide from an aftermarket stator / rr maker but I think a regular multimeter is all that's needed for their tests. Voltage and resistances, no amp

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you kuro, i'm going to run through that tomorrow morning as its 9:30 now and my neighbors would hate me. so its either the R/R or the stator, I'm half tempted to buy both.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:29 AM

ok next test is to do the same thing, w/ the bike running on VAC. ( stator isolated/disconnected, motor running.) honda doesnt give a spec but it should be between 15-100 vac, if a coil is the problem it should make it self known here.

there is another test just like this with it plugged in and the motor running, but i cant remember the spec so ill check back tomo. 10-20 vac?>not sure

im not sure if a diode test on the rectifier would be relevant as i would think it would overcharge if that was the case. but ill look into that as well.

let me know what you get, if its not the stator you can check the rect/reg...if not that then you might have to start lookin for grounded wires

Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 AM

It's either the stator or R/R as you've figured out.

Unplug the stator wires and test each one for AC voltage at 5k rpms.

There should be three wires. Test A-B, A-C, and B-C. All should be 50+ volts.

Also, test the continunity of each yellow wire to ground. if you have continuity, then your stator is shorted out.

Doesn't anyone buy a service manual anymore?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Most likely th R/R... i had the same problem with my f3 just a few months ago... i thought it was the stator but there is so much extra work involved in testing and installing a new stator PROPERLY

i know everyone would say you get what you pay for but i bought a new R/R from an ebay vendor from hong kong... it was only $28 and i figured, you know what, i can return it if it doesnt work but its worth a try... and i had already spent money on battieries getting the charging system checked and what not so i was tapped...

I bought it and it worked well and i havent had any charging issues for a few months now... shipping is a little slow so u might have to deal for a week or 2 but try it. beats buying a new one for 200

28 vs. 200 is instant win

Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Thank you everyone for the help, It was a Bad R/R it was double checked by the shop and I was confirmed, ordered a new one, gonna put it in myself. Thanks again, yay for no more dead batteries.