F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems

Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 AM
Default Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems

Last Week I brought a 2002 CBR 600F4i. There was some known issues at purchase but it never affected the running of the bike.

When i bought the bike, i was told about the battery not charging or something of the sort. The Bike was sitting for a while. When i first rode of we had to push start it. Also had to add about 2 bottles of oil because it was smoking. (after adding the oil then it stopped smoking) Then i did the 1st thing i thought could solve the problem, changed the battery. the bike worked good for a couple of hours but once i would stop it would give me trouble to start. The Next thing i did was look into the rectifier, i didnt get to order that yet but i realized that the starter solenoid would get really hot, so i ordered another one.
Before it came we tried push starting the bike, that wouldnt work, we tried jumping it which also didnt work. It would just crank and crank and crank but wouldnt start. This Afternoon i got the solenoid switch and installed it After jumping the bike with my other bike battery (while the bike was off) i cranked it a couple of times, (about 4-5) and then it started up. ran like a champ. rode it up and down the block a couple of times and then hit a near by stretch and did 90mph, up and then 104mph back down. I then parked the bike, turned it off, then immediately turned it back on, and nothing it cranked until the battery died.

Additional Notes -
1.The Fan is wired to be on as soon as the key is switched to the on position. If this is not factory i would like to revert it.
2. Im not sure if its the radiator cap or neck. but at temperatures of about 230-240 It never goes up to 250 steam and coolant begins to leak out of the radiator through either the neck or the cap.
3.The Bike Doesnt Seem to keep time or trip data, i set the time, but as soon as i turn the bike off it looses it.

I Also just ordered new spark plugs. None of my local dealers had them available. I was quoted $14 each from one dealer and $19 from another, i found them on ebay for $39 for the set of four.. just about 10 each.. dam expensive plugs

***Also Added Some Videos Of Problems***
1.Trying to start it after replacing the solenoid - Click Here To Watch
It Actually starts this time but notice that it starts right after the f4i light comes on
2.Radiator Cap Leak - Click Here To Watch
Heres a video with the leaking cap, if you listen close you can hear the hissing coming from the cap. I also noticed that it seems like them made an effort to patch the hole but was unsuccesful, because under pressure it still leaks

Please Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cakesf4i; 07-31-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 PM

Ok so I took off the fairings to take a look to see if anything was loose, I traced the negative wire from the starter solenoid to a bolt that was on the main block of the engine, it was loose and i tightened it. Then i decided while the tank was off, that i should check the plug wires. Checking the plug wires or sockets or whatever you call it, i realized that they were just sitting on top of the spark plugs, pushing it down on a litte further they snapped in, so one by one until i popped on all four i popped them in reassembled the bike minus the fairings and tried to start the bike, (while i was taking it apart i left the battery to charge) and of course the bike still didnt start

Now im left with a couple of questions. What problem could possibly cause 1. for the bike not to start. 2. for the bike to loose complete power and memory every time it shuts off.

Im leaning more towards ordering the stator and the rectifier

Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Using the Search I found this

"To check the stator, take your multimeter, set it to ohms. Measure across all 3 leads of the stator. measure 1and2, 2and3, 1and3. They should all measure the same. It should be somewhere around .6 or .7 ohms. It may be different on that bike, but they should all be the same. If you have one or two of them out from the other, then the stator is probably bad. If they all measure good, your stator is fine and look into replacing the rectifier."

So I went out and bought a multi-meter. Located the cables where the stator connected to the rectifier and tested them. My Results Where as follows.
1&2 Sometimes read nothing or 0.3
2&3 Read 0.3
3&1 Read 0.3/0.4

So Im guessing that per the results my stator is bad, im gonna order one and then update back with the results.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know after you replace the stator.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 AM

I don't know much about the stator but it might be fouled plugs. If they were loose like you said, that shouldn't be good. I remembered when I was checking my valves that when I put the bike back, I did put the rubber things in, but forgot to plug it back and bike didn't start. I fouled one of the plugs and it filled up with gas.

If you still have the old battery, did you give it a check to see if it's actually bad? Bring it to an Autozone or Kragen and they can check for you. I made that mistake on my F2 until I found out it was my rectifier. Luckily I returned it. Lol I was too eager to ride.

I HIGHLY recommend you completely flush the bike of all fluids too. Coolant, brakes, and oil. Maybe gas too depending on how long it sat. Maybe the previous owner mixed too much water in the coolant because coolant shouldn't boil at those temperatures. (I'm not really sure lol but from what I learned in my ochem class, boiling points of elements can be altered when mixed) Brake fluids just because you said the bike was sitting, preventative measure. And definitely oil just because it's not good to mix oils, new/used, brands, viscosity, synthetic/full synthetic.

Good luck with your bike man and thanks for being one of the good guys. Who actually used the search button.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith View Post
I don't know much about the stator but it might be fouled plugs. If they were loose like you said, that shouldn't be good. I remembered when I was checking my valves that when I put the bike back, I did put the rubber things in, but forgot to plug it back and bike didn't start. I fouled one of the plugs and it filled up with gas.

If you still have the old battery, did you give it a check to see if it's actually bad? Bring it to an Autozone or Kragen and they can check for you. I made that mistake on my F2 until I found out it was my rectifier. Luckily I returned it. Lol I was too eager to ride.

I HIGHLY recommend you completely flush the bike of all fluids too. Coolant, brakes, and oil. Maybe gas too depending on how long it sat. Maybe the previous owner mixed too much water in the coolant because coolant shouldn't boil at those temperatures. (I'm not really sure lol but from what I learned in my ochem class, boiling points of elements can be altered when mixed) Brake fluids just because you said the bike was sitting, preventative measure. And definitely oil just because it's not good to mix oils, new/used, brands, viscosity, synthetic/full synthetic.

Good luck with your bike man and thanks for being one of the good guys. Who actually used the search button.
Well I Ordered A Full Set Of Plugs. "NGK LASER IRIDIUM spark plugs IMR9A-9H stk# 6999 pk X4" Bought them from a seller by the name of "streetstock123" They Where 39.99 for the 4 of them with 1.99 Shipping.
So you Can Say I Paid 10.50 a Plug. I did go out and get the oil filter and im going to get the oil this week, i might just do everything at once. Im Definitely changing all the fluids though. Gonna Look For a writeup on the coolant flush right now.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Ok...Great Great Great News. Yesterday The Spark Plugs Came. So Last Night or Early This Morning i should say i set out on putting them in. Now it was 1am and mosquitoes where eating me alive, but i still got the job done. The Approach i took was to remove the gas tank, remove air box, and then get them from the top. Now in my opinion as far as tools go you cant use a regular socket with a extension because theres a bar there that will make it all the more difficult for you. So I used a socket with a moving pivot which made it pretty easy. So After i finished up i tried to start the bike and of course with my luck it didnt start. So I Got Frustrated and went inside.

After Sleeping on it i came up with a theory off of a basic principal that a bike needs 3 things to start Air, Spark And Fuel. The Bike Was Getting Plenty of air, the spark was there new plugs and a fully charged battery. Hmmm So Fuel was the only problem left.
I Went and did some research and found out that there was a relay in the tail of the bike which i had removed. So I Went out plugged back in the tail part of the harness. Clicked Once No Start, Clicked twice...and whala it started right up.

Also While the Bike was down. I added the Stock r6 pipe. i love it love the sound great and easy mod. I had to cut the end of the D&D Pipe off and use it though. Im Also Selling the old D&D Can If anyone wants it $50 + Shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0009.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0020.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0021.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0010.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0011.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Heres Some Pics With The Plastics On As Well As a Video For Sound
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Attached Thumbnails Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0025.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0026.jpg   Starting Trouble, Battery Charging Problems-img_0027.jpg  
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. The R6 pipe looks pretty sweet on your bike.

As for why the bike would lose power/memory when it's shut off ... not sure what you mean but I know that when your battery dies or you disconnect your batter, your computer will reset your time/trip odometer (minus your regular odometer). So, each time you take your battery off the bike to charge it, you'll have to reset your clock. If your battery has a charge, your clock should stay on and your trip odo should still be the same when the bike is turned on again. If not, I'd talk to your dealer.