Standard MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40-50mpg. highway. 87 octane.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooStar
I'm always surprised how some of you guys get 40+. I got a 06 & the only time I saw 40+ mpg was on my first few rides in 06, after that I've always got 30-33 mpg on my daily commute 50/50 city/freeway.

Weekend rides usually give me about 25-28 mpg & the worst I ever got was about 21 mpg.
I'm always surprised how some of you guys get 30-. I have an '01 with over 35k miles on it. I don't think I've gotten a single tank below 35 mpg, whether I was flogging it or not. My average over the last year has probably been about 44-45 mpg.

I use midgrade gas and have Pilot Power 2CT tires.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how hard you ride. if I were to go 90mph on the freeway, I doubt I would get 40+mpg. Funny thing is that on my 08 1000rr, it doesn't matter if I rode 70mph or 90mph, it will always gave me 40-43mpg.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
depends on how hard you ride. if I were to go 90mph on the freeway, I doubt I would get 40+mpg. Funny thing is that on my 08 1000rr, it doesn't matter if I rode 70mph or 90mph, it will always gave me 40-43mpg.
haha yeah my f4i only got 38mph when my average speed was 90-120 for an entire tank. (boring *** North Dakota Interstate)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM

I'm running an average of 42mpg this season for commuting; although I did have a couple tanks at 38mpg when it was colder out (Early March)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SPR-GRN
I'm suprised nobody has asked about the tires..
I'm assuming you run pilot powers (or similar street tires); what is your tire pressure front and rear? I ran into an issue where my fuel economy dipped to the low 30's for regular riding, turned out after I had lent my brother the bike he dropped the tire pressure for some more aggressive riding and never brought it back up, it was at 27 front and 35 rear, vs. my usual 36/42 for sport touring/commuting duty.

02 F4i, Yosh pipe, stock air filter.
^ +1 I was thinking the same thing while I was reading through this. Another issue could be the gas. I know in California we have winter gas and summer gas which affects gas mileage as well.

I just changed my spark plugs and gained a few mpg, but on avg I float around 38 in the summer and 33-35 in the winter just regular commuting. I've been running 35/35 front/rear for a little extra grip in the back, but might try bumping back up to 36/42 and see if I can squeeze a few extra for commuting.

Yosh Pipe, K&N Filter, 87 octane, t6 Oil every 3k.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM

I have only had my f4i for 2 months and put about 1500 miles on it... But I have been getting around 50 mpg, my best was 54 but that was when I was riding VERY conservatively ( around 3500 rpm) but as I've been reading it sounds like its better to run around 5-7k rpms so I will start doing that and see what my mpg is.. Btw it's an 03 f4i with 6k miles on it. Mostly stock other than a few cosmetic additions

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by lewisF4i
...sounds like its better to run around 5-7k rpms so I will start doing that and see what my mpg is.
Um, doubtful. I don't think too many forum members get the kind of mileage you're getting.

If you're cruising and let off the throttle suddenly, you don't want the rpm to be so high that you're jolted forward. On the other end of the spectrum, you don't want to be cruising at an rpm so low that you need to shift down to accelerate. I usually shift right around 4500 rpm; feels like a happy median.

Edit: Not saying you shouldn't experiment and find out what works best. I'm just noting my observations.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kowen1208
you don't want to be cruising at an rpm so low that you need to shift down to accelerate.
Ummm, what? Of course you do, thats the point of cruising. Higher rpm's = less gas mileage. In 5yrs and 53,000miles of phoenix commuting [3rd worst city for traffic in the country] I've never been in a situation that required me to downshift multible gears to get out of the way and downshifting one gear takes no time at all. If you pay attention to your situation at all times and anticipate problems and *** hats running lights, changing lanes, not stoping when they should etc. then you won't have a problem. And to top it off the bike can accelerate just fine from 3000rpm. Now I know everyone's going to yell "thats rediculous, these things are turds at that rpm!". Well yes compared to high rpm they are. Compared to how quick you get a car to move the bike does just fine at 3k.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Ummm, what? Of course you do, thats the point of cruising. Higher rpm's = less gas mileage. In 5yrs and 53,000miles of phoenix commuting [3rd worst city for traffic in the country] I've never been in a situation that required me to downshift multible gears to get out of the way and downshifting one gear takes no time at all. If you pay attention to your situation at all times and anticipate problems and *** hats running lights, changing lanes, not stoping when they should etc. then you won't have a problem. And to top it off the bike can accelerate just fine from 3000rpm. Now I know everyone's going to yell "thats rediculous, these things are turds at that rpm!". Well yes compared to high rpm they are. Compared to how quick you get a car to move the bike does just fine at 3k.
By "accelerate", I don't mean being able to blow by someone. What I'm getting at is you don't want to be cruising at such a low rpm that the bike is going to labor heavily if you give it more throttle. Like you said, the bike can accelerate just fine from 3000 rpm. If I'm going through neighborhoods, I'll shift around 3250 and settle in at around 2500 in 4th gear (25 mph). I wouldn't cruise at a lower rpm than that, though, because if I need some extra power to speed up and avoid an accident, the time it takes to shift could be huge.

Basically, I don't disagree with anything you said. Maybe you were just thinking I'm a high rpm junkie like a lot of the others on here. No need to be cruising at 6k on city streets.

Quick Reply: Standard MPG?