F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Squids...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squids...

So I just got back from a nice long trip to San Diego, courtesy of the USN. I had a great time, all that good stuff. I would have taken my bike down if it wasn't in the shop getting new plastics. Well while I was down there I saw an idiot.

I don't know what he was riding, but it wasn't a honda. I leave the base and get behind this squid, noticing the nice fact that he is wearing shorts, a tee shirt, flip-flops, with a back pack. The car he was tailgating signaled and made a right hand turn. The rider went into the other lane with oncoming traffic to get around the car, turned all the way around in his seat to flip the bird about 30 yards before a red light. CAN WE SAY "SMART"? Well I follow this idiot for a while and he ends up going the same way I am and we go around a cloverleaf onramp to the I-5 North. Now a normal rider would keep his body inline with his bike doing 45-50 around this curve, a practiced rider or even your average squid would hang off to the low side to get more speed. Not this guy... He took the corner at about 50 and was hanging off his bike to the outside. Looked real unsafe and retarded. Where do these a-holes get their endorsement? Crackerjack boxes?

So enough of that. So my trip to San Diego was 5 weeks long, I dropped my bike off before I left. Figured that it would be done when I got back and I would be able to do the oyster run. Well I get back Saturday and call the shop, and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue as to what was happening with my bike. He was gonna talk to some mechanic and call me back. Never happened. So I figured it would be another week or so till it is done. I go out and buy a new Jacket, Gloves, Pants cause I need them, with the weather turning and all. So come to yesterday I call the shop again and talk to someone new. Again they didn't know, and would need to talk to someone else, they were gonna call me back in 10 minutes. I wait a few hours, get fed up and go on down to the shop.
Dear Diary "Jackpot" well talk to the person behind the counter and got some apologies. Bike is done!!! Go figure, I just spent a good chunk of my deductible for new gear. Gonna go in on friday and pick her up after payday!! Been long enough.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Squids...

i went up to the bay area for 5 days of 50 riding(hit up skateparks, streets, you name it on minibikes, awesome ride to say the least) well we were in the local "stunter" spot and we hear a gsrx rev up so we go see this guy trying to wheelie his bike. well we start to go over to his area and the cameraman with us said "lookout this guys going down" so we get out of the way and he starts filming. next run through the parking lot i hear him shift to 2nd and drop the clutch. he popped it up to the BP but he was totally sideways, revved it and swapped side to side on the rear wheel then he gives it too much and the bike loops and flies up into the air landed on the side and slid for about 200ft into a fence. not moments earlier we were watching from where the bike slid!
i was shoked, the rider was ****ed up, ripped his jeans and had road rash all up his left side and back. turns out it was a BRAND new bike and this guy was out destyroying it. it wouldnt start after it was dropped, i wouldnt be surprised if that bike was totaled.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys never heard the expression "squid" before...... Enlighten me

Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

ridin with no skill, no helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, or common sense. highchair in a wifebeater. [&:]

Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Squid - Some say comes from "Squirelly kid" another possible origin is that a squidly rider (ie no skill) can't turn for ****, just like a squid. Squids can't change direction very well, the shoot in one direction really quick, stop, change vectors, then shoot off in another direction. Just like a rider that can't negotiate a turn.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM

I have to chime in here: I agree with almost all of the definitions of a squid, except, riding without a jacket. And I guess I have to put that into context. If I'm hitting the twisties, then yeah, I have all my gear on, but tooling around town, if its hot, then I don't wear a jacket. I ride my bike everyday, 365 days a year. So everywhere I'm going, I'm on my bike and it sucks having to carry my helmet and jacket everywhere I go (when its hot). And damn it, I don't want to be a squid!

While I used to flame on people wearing shorts, I have lighten up. I could never wear shorts, but in reality, they don't provide much protection. And wearing pants isn't the difference between life or death.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx for the clarifications!!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 PM

There are trade offs to riding in my opinion. To do it safely and stay looking as good as I do, I swear by wearing jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, pants, etc... I am willing to deal with carrying my jacket and helmet around, and if need be a back pack for somthing to change into/ carry my extra schtuff. I just never thought it was smart, safe, prudent to not wear some safer clothing.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 AM
IDL

I can't imagine not wearing a helmet..

It's law where I am but even if it wasn't, kinda sketchy

Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 AM

I've heard the term 'squid' trown around before. Mostly in the context of a 'newbie rider'.

Is it just a general term or is it something you just call motorcycle idiots, just like 'ricer' has become the new namesake for automotive morons.

Quick Reply: Squids...