F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sprockets...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sprockets...

yea i would def. change the back sprocket too... unless you're wanting to stunt it as well i would maybe go -1/+3 if you still want that but -1/+2 will be plenty of acceleration. but ur bike, ur choice of course.

also i have a Q related to this topic
when i bought my bike the guy said he wasnt sure if the sprockets were -1/+2 or -1/+3
so i can just count the teeth on my back sprocket and if its 49 i have +3 and if its 48 i have +2, correct?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct it came stock with 46 teeth

Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Aly

Yea, I think I may end up putting the stock rear sprocket that came with it back on and just order a new front. I'm gonna go out and count the teeth on that rear sprocket thats on there now and figure out how big it really is. I have a feeling its not really "8 teeth bigger than sotck" like he said, now that I've been looking at them online.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

The sprocket sizes form a ratio. For every one turn of the front sprocket the rear sprocket turns a fraction of a turn.

If you think about pulleys - if you set it up to make it easier to lift something, you have to pull the rope further.

On a bike, same thing. Going down on the front or up on the rear makes it easier to turn the rear wheel, but it takes more rotations or in otherwords, a higher RPM. You trade ease of acceleration by giving up some top speed.

The 520 chain is lighter... less rotating mass to accelerate. It is supposed to be faster - but we're not talking much in terms of street use.

8 teeth bigger on the rear is a large number. Was it used for stunting?

My bike is an F4 and I run -1,+2... for ~14% change in ratio (I also went with the 520 chain). I think the F4i stock sprockets are slightly different. The F4 is stock 16 front, 45 rear. I think the F4i is 16 front and 46 rear with 525 chain.

Also note - when you change the sprockets the speedometer will be wrong. To fix that you'll need something like a speedohealer.

Great write up. Succint and learnable. Sorry, i didn't mean to steal the thread.
Having said that...and i just want a little more off the line would -1/+1 suffice? I'm not concerned about top speed. However, i "may" go to the track a couple of times, but that will be it. Or am i wasting money??

Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM

HockeyFan, a -1/+1 would be enough for what you are looking for. I have the -1 in the front only and 46 in the rear, and I can bring my front end up with a twist of the wrist. If you are not concerned with your top end speed, you will be happy with that set up. Besides, who goes over 150 mph anyways? Unless your on a track, driving that fast on a highway is very unsafe.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/MotoGe...115641QQsofpZ0

Heres a link on ebay that sells them. I have an RK kit like this also, and you will get different opinions from people on which chain is the best. I have had my RK for over a year now, with no adjustments and it rides great.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks Stephens. How do you find 2nd gear...is it still zippy enough for you? And how much the speedo off? It shouldn't be too bad.

They didn't have an 05' version for an F4i, but they are local and I'm sure they are a phone call away.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM

How do I find it or how doI like it? 2nd gear is just a click of the shifter bro.Performance wise itsstill very fast. But my riding style is a bit different than yours probably. I ride around town in 1st gear and don't use my second very much unless I am shifting up to go on the highway, sometimes I will use 2nd gear around town. 2nd gear is still quick and fast. I have a Two Bros. Racing pipe, so I like to roar around town making noise, so riding around in 1st will do that, and I ride the powerband.

As for the speedometer being off, I installed a Speedohealer to correct the speedometer. But the speedometer is pretty close to accurate in 6th gear on the highway only off 2-3 mph before I installed the speedohealer. In town in 1st gear, my speedo would read 35 but I was actually doing like 23-24 mph. I had a friend who has an 01 F4i all stock, so we measured the speed off of his bike. The speedohealer was about 100 bucks and worth the money, cuz now my odometer won't rack up extra miles and stays true. Once you install in, go to www.speedohealer.com and input your info the number of teeth on your sprockets and other infor asked, and then you can configure the speedohealer. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Sorry for the off track question but, how come I can't find any 48t sprockets on ebay ???

Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 AM

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...i--500305.html

Check out this site. Good place.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM

has ur sig always did that stephens?
if not its nice, i like it.

ok so im prob gonna have to invest in a speedohealer soon, so once i buy it i can just go to that site and configure it?
i dont have to figure out how fast im actually going and calculate percent error and all that?

Quick Reply: Sprockets...