F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sprocket power up kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket power up kit

Hello everyone!

I've been spotting same info over and over on this forum. I'm talking about sprockets.
Almost everyone says that going "-1/+1 or 2" makes the ride totally different, but without mentioning what those digits are all about. I heard about 520, 530 and other numbers. Is this mysterious measure goes as 1 to 10?

Here is a so called power up kit: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...I--608805.html

How would you determine what the sizes are? And what are the stock sizes?

Appreciate all answers!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Big subjects require big answers. I'll try to be brief.

I'll assume a 2001 -2006 F4i.
Your stock bike has a 525 pitch chain and sprocket combo. Pitch is the distance between the pins (the gap) on your chain. If you go with a 520 (popular conversion) you get a chain with smaller gaps and sprockets with smaller gaps between the pointy parts (we're going to call them teeth from now on). Same number of teeth but smaller sprocket size. This is a good thing because any time you can reduce the size and weight of something that is spinning really fast you decrease the energy required to spin it. Like going with a smaller wheel. You will go faster with smaller rotating mass. And, the smaller the pitch the less noise and wear on the parts.

Your stock bike comes with 16 teeth on the front sprocket and 46 on the rear. Adjusting the tooth count in front and rear sprocket changes the way the bike performs. A size increase (number of teeth) in the rear sprocket and/or a decrease in the front sprocket will favor torque for increased acceleration. A size decrease in the rear sprocket and/or an increase in the front sprocket will favor top end speed.

This kit you are looking at is a pretty popular thing to do. Going to a 520 pitch lighter sprockets and 520 pitch lighter chain along with different gearing will really put some pep in your bike. Do it! I triple dog dare you to!

Last edited by mike and ikes; 07-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM

I will, totally will do it. My bike is going to go through a lot of changes, including fairings and... like everything.
And you were right, it's a 2002 F4i.

So, of course I came up with new question. Do the pitch and amount of teeth relate to one another? If so, how?
As I understood, the famous phrase (-1/+2) means reducing front sprocket by one tooth and increasing rear by two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by 2H company; 07-17-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Pitch is just the distance between teeth. You can get a sprocket with less pitch (smaller distance between teeth) but have the same number of teeth as stock. The sprocket will be physically smaller than stock. This upgrade can be done alone and needs the same pitch chain purchased along with both sprockets.

-1/+2 is what your kit will have. Yes it would be a great way to go. Some people will have opinions about what works best for their bike (-1/+1 vs -1/+2) but the kit you are looking at is a great way to start. If you find you want more or less top end you may want to vary your tooth count on the rear. You shouldn't need to change from the standard performance mod of +1 on the front regardless of what you do on the rear.

Last edited by mike and ikes; 07-18-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Alright, you got me into it. I'm totally including this exact kit in my list.

The link I provided in the first post has that Vortex kit, which is -1/+2. Although according to what you say I shouldn't go -1 in front.
The top speed isn't really important to me, since I'm not going to race on this bike, but the torque at low gears sounds nice.
I guess that's the choice for torque then.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM

-1/+2 will increase your acceleration and decrease you top speed. Also a consideration your speedo and odom will be off (it will read higher than actual) so you may want to consider a speedohealer. I have the -1/+2 now my speed is off 17%, but I don't really care how fast I am going. I live in Maine we have Game Wardens not Cops.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Thx for the info ibiggers.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on what speedohealer is?

I live in Cali and we do have Cops.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM

A speedo healer calibrates you speedometer so that it reads correctly with your changes. It can compensate for factory error and the change in gears you choose to make.

heres a link
www.speedohealer.com

Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM

I edited my post. -1/+2 is what that vortex kit is. That is a good setup in my opinion.

A speedo healer is a device that plugs in and fixes your speedometer and odometer. After changing gear sizes your speedometer/odometer will be off. Same thing happens when you change tire sizes on your car. The speedometer is calibrated at the factory for the stock setup.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM

hey i lookin to order my sprocket kit and all the other stuff very soon also just a question if i get a power commander IIIUSB does it have any type of speedo healer on it or is it a totally seperate system?

Quick Reply: Sprocket power up kit