F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sprocket & Chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket & Chain

I am putting on my new Michelins, and noticed a bit of wear on my rear sprocket. In order to replace the sprocket I read it is recommended to replace the chain. I have heard that Vortex and RK and D.I.D. are really good. My count is 16/46. If I raise or lower the count in the front or the rear, how does it affect performance. I know if you increase the rear, you lose the high end and can pop wheelies pretty easy. But what is a 520 conversion?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sprocket & Chain

im not 100% on this one but im pretty sure

the 525 you have is stock, 520 is a thinner chain built for top end i think, i think its used for gp stuff, like a 530 would be for drag, but like i said dont hold me to that i could be wrong

Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 PM

From my understanding (I might be wrong) is that the stock 525 chain has 120 links and a 520 chain has 110 links, as well as width. I'm not 100% sure but that's what I understand from what I've read. But with a 520 chain, you'd need sprockets that are designed for 520.

Advantages are lighter weight (less rotational mass) so theoretically, more power to the wheels.

If someone with more knowledge on this could jump in, that'd be great

Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 PM

tahoe where you at mang, need you on this one, but im pretty sure what i said was money, still like to hear it from you

Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM

520's are a smaller chain, mainly for less weight=less rotating mass. Some may say you dont need it on the street but its your preference. The chains are cheaper but you have to replace them more often. I have -1,+1 renthal sprockets with a 520 RK chain.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 AM

one tooth down on thefront is equivalent to 3 teeth UPin the rear, going down in front and/or up in the rear lowers the gearing
for example (I'm completely making up numbers here) say on a stock bike you'll hit redline in first gear going about 70mph, if you lower the gearing, you might wind up only going 60mph at redline in 1st gear but you'll get there faster, 2nd gear will move closer to what first gear was, etc so you'll accelerate from a stop faster but you will also lose top speed
one common misconception is that sprockets alter the power output of the bike, a lot of people will say it increases power in the lower revs but that can only be done in the engine and/or transmission, gearing just affects how that power translates to the rear wheel

by "lowering" the gearing all your really doing is adjusting the RPM/Speed relationship, not actually changing power characteristics so your not losing "top end" your losing top speed, two very different things

a 520 conversion is very popular but for street riding you won't ever notice the loss of some rotating mass but the chain/sprockets will wear faster. The stock 525 is a good compromise between weight and durability. Even most racers just use the 520 because those size sprockets are easier to find at the track or at local shops in a pinch.

I like Vortex sprockets and RK chains, the vortex sprockets are aluminum and will wear faster than steel sprockets but not by much. I can only speak from personal experience but RK chains have always done well for me.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 AM

Thanks woody for the input. That really helps me make my decision. I think I will go with 15/46. I am not really interested in doing wheelies. Don't need any tickets and I don't want to tear up my bike in an accident.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:45 PM

The 15/46 is the way to go! Make sure and spend the extra $30 and get the o-ring chain. It will last 5 times longer.

Stephens: Its good to see another Nebraska tag once in a while.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM

i say no 520 for street...doesn't do anything...track...totally.

the difference was already covered but i have some things to add...

you get better conversations going at starbucks if you have the 520.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tjruger

The 15/46 is the way to go! Make sure and spend the extra $30 and get the o-ring chain. It will last 5 times longer.

Stephens: Its good to see another Nebraska tag once in a while.
All I can say is "Go Big Red"

Quick Reply: Sprocket & Chain