F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speedohealer install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedohealer install question

So i am trying to install the speedo healer and the instructions say to attach to a pink, green, and black, connector. I found a connector that has a pink and green wire but unsure if it has a black but its under everything and at a spot that my big monkey hands cant reach (sorry for no picture but i couldnt get a decent one of it). Its on the right side behind the engine at the bottom. Anyone have any idea how to get to it or to make sure its the right one? I really dont want to take off the subframe to access this wire. Thanks guys

Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It should be the right one. When I installed mine, I had to remove the top two bolts of the subframe so I could tilt it down, and get the coolant reservoir out of the way. I couldn't move the reservoir without unattaching the subframe.

So beyond taking your bike apart, maybe find someone with little girly hands?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
It should be the right one. When I installed mine, I had to remove the top two bolts of the subframe so I could tilt it down, and get the coolant reservoir out of the way. I couldn't move the reservoir without unattaching the subframe.

So beyond taking your bike apart, maybe find someone with little girly hands?
+1
I also had to remove the bolts of the subframe inorder to move the coolant reservoir. It was a bit more complicated than the instructions implied.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 AM

I installed today SpeedoDRD. Fortunately I have small hands so all I needed to do was pull up the tank and remove all overflow hoses off my way. Then I had enough room to put my right hand next to the rear spring and my left hand over the front sprocket cover so I could disconnect the plug. It wasn't easy but doable if you have small hands like I do.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM

thank guys hopefully this weekend ill be able to finally finish this

Old 10-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I installed my speedodrd on my 01 F4i recently and wanted to comment here just in case somebody like me is googling for tips.

1) On the 01 F4i the speed sensor is behind the starter motor, a wire comes out from it under the thermostat. it's a black 3P connector, it's the only black 3P in the area. (There's a red one that goes to the clutch cover)

2) How I reached it (couldn't find this info anywhere else) I did not have to move coolant reservoir or subframe. Did not see any way I could put a hand in from the left near sprocket cover on mine.

Opening #1: Remove the tank, keep the airbox on but you may have to disconnect a hose on the airbox, on the right side of the airbox there's a gap between the throttle body and frame that you can put one hand in. (If you have big hands I'm sorry you probably won't fit)
Opening #2: Disconnect the clutch cable (just one bolt) and there's a nicely sized gap between frame and clutch cover. Thru this you can see the connector.

3) When speed sensor connector is disconnected, the speedo will still show 0 MPH. (I was expecting it to blank out) It stays at 0 though no matter what you do.

4) CHECK YOUR KILLSWITCH!!!! I kept testing the speedo drd and couldn't figure out why the speedo drd wouldn't work, because I clearly had the right sensor. Test mode showed nothing. I didn't know this but if your killswitch is on, speedo will only show 0 MPH, as if the sensor is disconnected.

Extra Tip: Check your speed with GPS. I was going to be lazy n go with the -11.2% from online calculations, but figured why the heck not, make it accurate. At highway speeds I was a whopping -15.5%. (-1/+2) Don't expect stock to be spot on.

Hope this helps somebody.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Thats interesting. I have to get to the same plug. I have a GIPRO Gear Indicator to fit. The guy who sold it me said its no problem to get to the speed sensor. He said just tilt the tank back and its next to the top of the rear shock, unplug it and plug the new connectors in.

From what you guys are saying it is still quite hard to get to. Crap, I have big hands...