F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speedohealer Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedohealer Calibration

I've got a 2005 F4i, and a Speedohealer on the way. I'm trying to get my calibration ready, and just did a test ride with a GPS. I got 76.5 mph on the GPS at an indicated 80 mph, and 66.5 mph on the GPS at an indicated 70 mph.

This indicates that my speedo has an error of +5.3%.

Does anyone else out there with an F4i have a Speedohealer and have your calibration? How does this compare? With the slight GPS lag, traffic, and difficulty keeping exactly at a set speed (overpasses, etc.)...getting these numbers is harder than I thought it would be.

Any data would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Speedohealer Calibration

I got my cop buddy to run a radar comparison on my bike. My difference was about 13.4 percent but that is because I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. I would definately get the differences at several speeds. I got the readings at indicated speeds of 30,45,60,75, and 90. You will want to get the numbers at as many different speeds as you can to make sure the adjustment percentage is as accurate as possible.

T

Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

Agreed. That was my plan going out, but, since it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, I got a couple (which matched pretty well I think), and hoped to get some validation from these forums.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Retired Administrator

I went with 70 mph for my settings. It's in the middle of what I ride so it should be the most accurate for me.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 AM

How far off are our bikes typically at these normal highway speeds? 45, 55, 75?

I'm on a new 06 RR & wondering about this too.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Posted my data in the original post. Just under 5 mph error at 70 (indicated was high). Don says his RR displays a slightly higher error.

I'll find out today what the real number is for sure.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:09 AM

Well, I got the thing installed, but it took alot longer than I expected. Compared to the PCIII install, this is alot more work.

The pictures of the installs on the SpeedoHealer site are a little misleading. The connector for the speed sensor on my bike was underneath and forward of the coolant reservoir (right side of bike). So, reaching it was difficult, and unplugging it, and plugging in the y-harness for the SH was a little bit of a magic trick. The pictures make the connector look like it's "right there" like the PCII connector.

At any rate, it's installed and working...I'll check the calibration tomorrow.

I'm tired.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Took the bike out today and checked the calibration with the GPS. It appears that my numbers were correct for my bike. So, the bike, stock gearing with ~1200 miles of wear on the tires should give you about 5.3% of error.

The SpeedoHealer directions only suggested a 5% setting. I went ahead and entered 5.3%, and it appears to be right on.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 AM

I just installed the SpeedoHealer. They are very helpful folks. I had a hard time finding the sensor where you are supposed to hook up the wire and they pointed me in the right direction to locate it. It works great. I love knowing exactly how fast I'm going. I used a GPS to calculate the calibration factor which turned out to be -5.7. In fact they liked my pics so much, that they used them in their installation section. There are some pics there that show exactly where the sensor is.
Check it out... http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pic...i/tutorial.htm
Ha, just read the rest of this thread... I guess I should mention that my bike is a 2006. Perhaps that's why your sensor is in a different location. You definately need small hands.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:41 AM

Mine is probably the same location, but was just taped together a little further in than I expected.

My hands are kinda big, that might be the whole problem.

Quick Reply: Speedohealer Calibration