F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sound at ~ 5k+

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call BS on that video too. I tried to save some $$$ by doing the auto cctl mod in that video above, but it was a complete waste of time. Get a manual APE and you'll never have to think about it again...plus you'll be amazed how smooth your motor sounds afterwards.

Takes a couple tries to get the tension just right. Follow the instructions in that forum thread and you'll be good. I tightened mine while idling until the chain noise went away, gave it another 1/2 turn, then tightened it down. If you hear "rattling" then it's too loose...if you hear "whirring" then it's too tight. Find that sweet spot with no noise.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM

I think mine is making the same noise but I only have 6k miles on it. This normal?? And does it effect any performance or just an annoying noise that I can deal with

Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM

It doesn't affect performance or reliability. It's an annoyance that costs $50 to cure.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking I'll go the manual APE route. While automated things can be good, it is somehow always encouraging to me to have manual control over certain things, feels more robust... assuming you know what you're doing

I do have one more question though. Can someone clarify this for me: The original owner is said to have replaced the original CCTL, which is known to be faulty, with the updated version. If this is so, could what I am dealing with still be an issue of the CCTL, does the updated one also have an issue? Or could it be that all this is something else entirely? I guess I ask bc I was under the impression that with the replaced CCTL there should be no issues.

Thanks again!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by stingray
Get a manual APE
Where can I find one, btw? I'm searching... no luck. At work, would like to order ASAP, so it gets shipped ASAP. Can't spend too much time searching. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Even the revised auto CCTL rattles eventually, some sooner than others. Once you get the APE set, you rarely (if ever) have to adjust it. I have about 18K on mine with no adjustments needed.

I got mine on eBay.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Default Here is a link

Here is a link for the manual tensioner on ebay. =) I think I am going to buy one myself actually.

CBR F3 F4 F4i 600 900RR 919 Manual Cam Chain Tensioner on eBay!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the benefit of an auto tensioner? if the manual one is so much better and simpler, why would Honda waste their time and money on implementing an auto?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Registered Users

Thanks for all the links and such, guys.

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
what are the benefit of an auto tensioner? if the manual one is so much better and simpler, why would Honda waste their time and money on implementing an auto?
This exact question, by mnguyen84, is what I've been wondering. A part of me worries that the engineers who designed this thing know something we don't. Just because a manual tensioner gets rid of the sound we can hear with our ears doesn't mean it doesn't cause some other problem that goes undetected in some way over a longer lifetime. I think settling this question will really take an engineer and expert on this exact item of technology, not some anecdotes, although those are appreciated but not exactly conclusive.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
btw, mnguyen84, I can't PM you, but the fuel pressure regulator may be of interest to me.

To PM, do I need more forum presence or something?

Quick Reply: Sound at ~ 5k+