F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Something is rattling :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff0044
Thanks for the replies everybody I think I will save some cash and take it to the Honda shop I don't trust myself or anyone else with my bike it will be hard letting them work on it :/ but it needs to be done.
Your suggestion is absolutely the BEST thing you could do for yourself and your bike.

That's exactly what I did except for one more thing. I did some research and with these bikes, you absolutely need the manual cct. I bought a manual APE cct online then took the part and the bike to my local shop and have them replace the CCT. I suggest you do the same and save yourself a few extra bucks and relax and know a shop is doing the job. Be sure to have a mechanic who's done cct before to work on your bike.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
Your suggestion is absolutely the BEST thing you could do for yourself and your bike.

That's exactly what I did except for one more thing. I did some research and with these bikes, you absolutely need the manual cct. I bought a manual APE cct online then took the part and the bike to my local shop and have them replace the CCT. I suggest you do the same and save yourself a few extra bucks and relax and know a shop is doing the job. Be sure to have a mechanic who's done cct before to work on your bike.
Im with you 100%. I replaced my CCTL this summer and since hacve put 7k and my replacement is already going bad. What a PITA. This time Im going with the manual APE also. Its a shame, its such a simple fix if you have girly hands and such a pain if not

Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

damn.. I talked to a couple Dealer ships and they are all around 500 bucks to fix it so I guess I'll just have to save up some cash and get it fixed I need my bike I love riding

Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um... Unless you bought your bike brand new, you might want to look at the pics and go take a peek under the fairings before you go to the dealer.

Many riders replace their cctl with an Ape Manual, sometimes long before the OEM one acts up. You may already have a manual in your bike and it just needs adjustment

Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 PM

I did not buy my bike brand new it had 8,740 mile or something around there I put 450 or so on the bike and it started rattling hardcore and it is doing everything that people have been saying about it going out but on the side note.. how would I tell if its a manual or not do I need to take anything off or could I see it just by looking and how would I tell if it is a manual or not, I'm really sorry that I'm stupid and don't know none of this and keep having to question but everybody on this site is so helpful and I appreciate it

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff0044
damn.. I talked to a couple Dealer ships and they are all around 500 bucks to fix it so I guess I'll just have to save up some cash and get it fixed I need my bike I love riding
These quotes are way off. Shouldnt be more than $250 and that would be a high price. A knowledgeable/fair mechanic should charge $150 parts and labor. Its not a difficult repair but a PITA the first time around, trust me My just replaced 2 blue dot CCTL is already going bad after 7k. Next time APE for sure.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM

My J24 Auto OEM 2 blue dot CCTL has lasted 1k so far It had the rattle when I got the bike at only 7k. But its prolly only a matter of time before it goes a rattlin....

As for the $500 quote from the stealership...are you sure they didnt think cam chain work/replacement and not the actual CCTL (Lifter) which is the culprit of the rattle??? Because its a $60 piece (remember, the lifter) and me and a buddy of mine did it in less than 30 minutes with our fairy hands (had to throw that in there Mitch)

Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Name:  tensioner.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  5.9 KB

The blue one is a manual tensioner lifter. The gray is the stock factory lifter. If your bike has a manual lifter it may be a different color but you can see the difference in the shape from this image.

Last edited by sparkman; 01-10-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM

So all I need is the lifter? they asked me what I needed but I wasn't sure so I asked how much it would be for them to replace everything that goes with the CCT

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM

If you're trying to eliminate the rattling noise, all you need is the cam chain tensioner lifter and its associated gasket.

Quick Reply: Something is rattling :(