F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Something is rattling :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is rattling :(

Okay so I have noticed that when my bike hits about 4.5k revs that i hear this loud rattling noise I had my dad take a look because I have no clue what it is. My dad told me it sounds like the motor and thats not good, my brother said no its not the motor its the plastic. Well the bike doesn't rattle when I first start the bike, it rattles when the bike warms up to like 100 degrees. If somebody might know what it is please help me.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ That was my first impression as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Dang, Okay so that might be what it is then.. it has to be and one of the posts says it gives out usually about 10k miles if not sooner and my bike has 9.2k miles altogether. So the real question now what exactly is a CCTL or whatever and is it hard to change? I don't know a lot about this stuff :/

Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff0044
... is it hard to change? I don't know a lot about this stuff :/
For a Honda mechanic, its a breeze. Since you don't have the experience, I'd recommend you taking to have it replaced. Naturally, you'll need to confirm that it is actually the CCT.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM

I'll get that CCT replaced as soon as I can and hopefully that is whats wrong with it.. so what exactly is a CCT?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Cam chain tentioner. It's this fancy little device that keeps tension on the cam chain. That's about all I know. Lol. I'm sure someone way smarter then me will explain in more detail then that but from my understanding that's the gist of it.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm not a mechanic, and i've been wondering that exact same question.

A CCTL is a Cam Chain Tension Lifter. Now a Cam Chain has to do with Engine Valves and their timing, and the Tension Lifter part is something that regulates basically what it says, the tension on the cam chain. There are two types, an auto and a manual one, the auto one automatically adjusts depending on the required tension, and the manual one you can use a tool to regulate.

I'm pretty sure this is what the CCTL is, and what its purpose is. If i'm wrong PLEASE correct me because i'm just going based off of what i've read online.

In regards to doing the work yourself. Kuroshio was nice enough to give you the best link online to how to change this on a CBR. If you do take it to a shop and they confirm it's the CCTL, you can probably save yourself about $100 (depending on the shop) and do the work yourself. It's not very difficult and shouldn't take more than a few hours to do, if you have the tools and time. If not, then a shop should be able to do this fairly quickly.

Best of luck! let us know what you find out.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody I think I will save some cash and take it to the Honda shop I don't trust myself or anyone else with my bike it will be hard letting them work on it :/ but it needs to be done.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Banned

It's really not a huge deal unless it's rattling like crazy but if you have the money just replace it.

I've heard of people going for quite a while with the 4-5k rattle and even I put on a few thousand after my last spill making the noise come back.

I went ahead and did the ghetto 'replace screw in CCTL with a longer one/locknut' (m10?) and turn until the rattle stops. Supposedly does the same thing as a manual CCTL. I've had to adjust it a time or two something major like a spill/pothole.

The part is in a tight spot, but it's really easy to get to. It helps to remove right side fairing but you can get away with taking out the 4 tank bolts, loosening the ram air covers and lifting the tank onto a piece of wood to give you enough space to work.

Quick Reply: Something is rattling :(