F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

somebody heeeelp plzzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy somebody heeeelp plzzz

...my 2001 f4i will not idle when hot and i don't know what else to check...spark plugs are fine, engine is not flooding, fuel pumps are all okay...it will start from cold, but won't idle when it heats up...i just did a 4 hour trip yesterday, it rode well, but engine cuts off every time i hold clutch to downshift and at every light...plzzz help, any ideas will be appreciated...

Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where does it idle when cold? What RPMs? How long have you had the bike? Did it just recently start doing this?

Could be something as simple as you need to adjust your idle up.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM

It's real easy to adjust, there is a **** just above the shifter clock wise

raises the idle and counter raises it.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 AM

thanks guys...it idles at around 2000 when started from cold, falls to 1000 after maybe 10 mins and then engine dies...

...i have tried the adjustment **** and raised it to idle at 3000, but it gradually falls and then engine cuts off again...

...i bought the bike from a friend, haven't had it for two months...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by kankpe

...i bought the bike from a friend, haven't had it for two months...
then ask your friend about it, ask the history of the problem. he'll give you more insight.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Make sure when you adjust the **** that the other end of it is being adjusted too. Sometimes the wire just spins with it and after a minute it will spin back to it's original position. I've had that happen to me on my F2. And make sure you're adjusting this when the bike is warm. It should idle at 1300. Don't ever adjust it while it's off too, you want to be able to hear it.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

check the fuel pressure regulator. its notorious for making the bike die after it has warmed up. you will be fine at cruising speeds and high rpms. but when you come to a stop and hold the clutch in it wants to die. just had a similar problem with my 02 f4i. do you play hell trying to start it back up after it dies? is it running rich? does it lack power in the low end, but has it all in the high end? just some ideas.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

...so after spending all weekend and monday on the bike, i decided to take it to my mechanic...he's looked at it and says everything has checked out so far... fuel pressure regulator works, fuel injectors okay, etc, etc...he thinks its the ECU, and wants me to borrow a friends to try it...could that be the problem, i know a bad ECU can cause a whole bunch of problems...

@ridefast...bike's not running rich, it starts up every single time and pulls very well throughout it's RPM range...

if it helps any, bike has been dropped twice at low speeds...once by me and once by my friend...but both times was when he owned it and that was months ago...bike rode fine even after that whenever we went out riding...

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

I am intruiged. Keep us posted!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by kankpe
...so after spending all weekend and monday on the bike, i decided to take it to my mechanic...he's looked at it and says everything has checked out so far... fuel pressure regulator works, fuel injectors okay, etc, etc...he thinks its the ECU, and wants me to borrow a friends to try it...could that be the problem, i know a bad ECU can cause a whole bunch of problems...
Doctors call it irritable bowel syndrome, Honda mechs call it the ECU Any kind of weird behavior and this will be the response.

Quick Reply: somebody heeeelp plzzz