F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Some feedback needed on braking??

Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some feedback needed on braking??

I graduated into a 2005 CBR F4i after riding for about a year...exactly 4k under my belt. Coming from a Honda Hawk...this is night and day riding experience.
So, I saw an empty parking lot and proceeded to do some slow maneuvers and some braking drills so as to get myself famaliarized with the bike.
The manuevers were fine. However, hitting the brakes front and rear, separately and simultaneously have different affects, as you know.
However, on this bike I ended up doing a couple of endo's never goingpast 22miles per hour...

So, the first question is when i came down, it seemed like the bike came down first then i came down, should this be in sync, because my buttfelt the impact.
Secondly, if this is at 22 miles an hour...what happenswhen some dick cuts you off and is at a higher speed...what do you do then?? After all this was atlower speed and was in a controlled environment.

Some tips and feedback would be appreciated! Snide comments not so much.

Cheers

Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Some feedback needed on braking??

hmmmmm..... i also have an F4i have been cut off and had lights change abruptly, i have yet to have my rear tire come off the ground...... when you emergency brake do you use the rear as well ? i have had the rear lock up and slide around, but never come up.........

---Dave....

Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 PM

I braked doing the front and rear(simultaneously), rear, and front only to see what would happen.Doing the rear alone will cause a slide as well as simultaneously, if going fast. It was just the front the caused the endo. Further, the Hawk, had only a single disc in front and would never endo.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 PM

i find the f4i to have lots of bite especially up front... i always use fronts and rearsso perhaps thats why i never have it come up....

Do you have braided lines in the front ? that seems to increase bite, especially initially...... i think the f4i brakes will take some adjusting to over the hawk as you have twice the brake up there and a more modern setup...

as long as your using both endos souldnt really be a problem, you can also try and hold yourself deeper in the saddle under hard braking but this can be pretty tough to do when braking hard....

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Keep in mind that your f4i has twice the braking capabilities and less weight. You should not be grabbing a hold of the brakes that hard to make the rear come up! Keep practicing hard braking without getting the rear to come up. You should be able to stop your f4iin a much shorter distance than the hawk with less effort.

This is what I use:

Normal stopping or slowing to a stop= Motor braking/Front brake.

Stop = Front/Motor braking.

Hard Stop = Front/Rear/Motor braking.

These are just the steps that I normally use everyday, but good riding habits will have youusing both brakes at the same time everytime!

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Carbon_cavvy

i find the f4i to have lots of bite especially up front... i always use fronts and rearsso perhaps thats why i never have it come up....

Do you have braided lines in the front ? that seems to increase bite, especially initially...... i think the f4i brakes will take some adjusting to over the hawk as you have twice the brake up there and a more modern setup...

as long as your using both endos souldnt really be a problem, you can also try and hold yourself deeper in the saddle under hard braking but this can be pretty tough to do when braking hard....
Definitely has more bite. Yes, true...it'll take getting used to for sure. It's been a week and the muscles have not acclimated yet...I'm sure there are more gains to be had.
No steel brake lines-stock.

When you mean deeper in the seat...do you mean towards the back end of the bike?
Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 AM

ORIGINAL: dwschultzy

Keep in mind that your f4i has twice the braking capabilities and less weight. You should not be grabbing a hold of the brakes that hard to make the rear come up! Keep practicing hard braking without getting the rear to come up. You should be able to stop your f4iin a much shorter distance than the hawk with less effort.

This is what I use:

Normal stopping or slowing to a stop= Motor braking/Front brake.

Stop = Front/Motor braking.

Hard Stop = Front/Rear/Motor braking.

These are just the steps that I normally use everyday, but good riding habits will have youusing both brakes at the same time everytime!

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, true in regards to the weight and technology. Yeah, I guess i can practice without bringing up the rear...I kind of spooked myself and or some reason my battery isn't holding a charge.

I try not to use the motor for slowing down. I remember in Keith Codes video he says not to do that. However, he talks about gearing down to slow the bike as a no no...is that what you mean?
I wonder if that principle still applies as the bikes are much lighter than in the early 80's when the video was made. I mean no disrepect to your opinion...just curious. And thanks for the welcome!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

Not sure if it is a no no or not to use motor braking. I probably have some bad habits picked up over time. Just thought I would give a different perspective of riding habit. Not sure how good it is though.

I do know that keeping both tires planted with the proper application of brakes, you will slow down allot faster than being on your front tire only.

I would probably look into some more recent video or teachings of riding. The technology has come along way since the 80's. They use to teach student drivers (drivers ed.) that it was ok to follow a little closer to motorcycles due to there stopping distance was greater than a car. I am pretty sure this theory is no longer.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 AM

Yeah, I'm sure things have changed over the last 20 years and i will be looking into other techniques/books, etc.. I was trained (MSF)with using both brakes and it "seemed" that every veteran was saying to use only the front, so I've been trying to do that to no avail.

Yes, i agree that both tires doing more of the work is better than the front alone. I wanted to hear what other riders have discovered or basics are still basics kind of thing.
Cheers

Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 AM

I always use the fronts and then hit the back when i'm going straight. At 22mph with an endo it seems you have to be grabing the brakes really hard. I did a panic grab once and that sent me over the bars (about 15-20 mph).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some feedback needed on braking??