F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So...First ticket on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So...First ticket on the bike

Yep...
It was the first time I've been pulled over on it, too. 80 in a 65.
Now, if I was riding fast just to ride fast, I wouldn't be terribly upset. However, this is the stink of it.
12:13 a.m., just on my way home, trying to be safe. I'm on the highway, in the left lane, just cruising, doing probably right about 65.
I start to approach the blind spot on a car one lane over, slowing down to below the speed limit, and then as I'm passing through the blind spot, I accelerate slightly.
However, just as I enter this driver's blind spot, he/she signals and rapidly starts moving into my lane. I quickly gunned it and got ahead of this person.
That's exactly when I passed the police officer.

I explained that I was just trying to stay out of harm's way to the officer, and he took it down from 81 to 80 (saved me 30 dollars off the fine...woohoo) but still wrote the ticket.
Now, my question is, what are my options moving forward, from anyone who may have experience or applicable knowledge?
I took Defensive Driving right around 8 months ago(speeding in my cage), and I have 0 tickets on my record.
If it's possible, I'd like to keep this one off of it too, but I'm afraid I may have to bite the bullet.

Any knowledge you guys can impart to me would be fabulous.
Thanks,
Acumen

Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Default RE: So...First ticket on the bike

dude, see if you can get deferred judification. I just moved out of TX but I remember they had that in Hays county so it should be statewide. It's like probation, you go on deferred judification for like 6 months and pay the court fee, as long as you dont get any moving violations within that time period the ticket gets erased.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: txmorgan

dude, see if you can get deferred judification. I just moved out of TX but I remember they had that in Hays county so it should be statewide. It's like probation, you go on deferred judification for like 6 months and pay the court fee, as long as you dont get any moving violations within that time period the ticket gets erased.
yea sounds like the best option, if u try to fight it it usually just makes things worse and with my when i got tickets in my car i would go to court and if i plead guilty to whatever they would drop things as kind ofincentive or something so see what they offer u if u have to go tocourt for it

Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 AM

Here in arkansas if you plead guilty, you automatically get screwed. I also read in a magazine article, never plead guilty. Usually you'll have another court date for the trial or hearing and the public defender will bs with the prosecutor and make you a deal. Or you could just get you a lawyer and argue the whole case. If you have my luck, it probably doesn't matter what you do cause you'll be in for it. Now if you have my brothers luck, you can ride into the court house on a wheelie, circle the bench, do a stoppie and then ride back out and they will slap you on the wrist. Some people get slammed and others get off easy, just depends on your judge and the mood their in. Since your records clear though, you can probably get 6 months probation, pay the fine and it'll stay off your record. Just sucks that you get busted for something so minor. I guess you could have stayed there, been hit by the cager and the officer could have been there for the next 6 hours doing paperwork on an accident.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 AM

Hey i know that in some areas if it is your first ticket ever or you first ticket in over 4-5 years they throw it out if you show up for court. Thats what they did for me in Alabama so i wouldnt worry about it. Tey have so many ways to get out of the ticket when you go to court. The judge honestly doesnt want to be there so he tries to weed them all out.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 AM

In Texas, you are allowed to exceed the speed limit by UP TO 10 mph to get around, (pass) a slower car.

Hence why I recently got a ticket...in a car for doing 11 mph over...$205.00...cha-ching.

If it's your first ticket...or the first one you have had in years...pay the fine and move on.

If it's a ticket that is putting your license at stake or insurance rates through the roof...fight it.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM

in NY i BELIEVE but am not 100% positive you can only take the driver safty course once every 3 years to reduce points.

if you check guilty and mail the ticket in your guilty and have to pay the fine. if however if you dont plead guilt and go to court and talk prosecutor you might be able to plea bargin it.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Here in Texas, you can defensive driving out of a ticket once every 12 months.
Sucks, since the last ticket I got was 8 months-ish ago and was also a bogus ticket.
Got it for an alleged 22 over when I was in traffic, with 2 cars matching speeds with each other to form a moving roadblock in front of me.
I was thinking Deferred Ajudication, but I'm not quite sure how to go about that, nor have I been able to find any information regarding it on the ticket.
Thanks for y'all's answers. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Any more advice would definitely be welcome.
Thanks
Acumen

Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM

ALRIGHT BRO,YOUR IN MY AREA OF EXPERTISE.

1) YOU CAN GET DEFERRED OF JUDIFICATION IF THE JUDGE DECIDES TO LET YOU GET IT ,BUT IF YOUR TICKET HAS MORE THAN ONE MOVING VIOLATION THEY WON'T GIVE IT TO YOU.(EX. NO INSURANCE,EXPIRED PLATES ETC..)

2)YOU CAN PLEAD NOT GUILTY AT TAKE IT TO COURT. IF YOU DO YOUR BETTER HAVING A TRIAL BY JURY.

3)OR DO WHAT I DO AND PAY AN ATTORNEY WHO WILL CHARGE YOU THE AMOUNT OF THE FINE OR MORE BUT IT WON'T GO ON YOUR RECORD.PLUS 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO SHOW UP TO COURT.

3 MONTHS AGOI RACKED UP 3 TICKETS FOR SPEEDING.ONE WAS81 IN A 65 THE OTHER 91 IN A 60 AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST 111 IN A 65.NOW I OWE MY ATTORNEY $1200.00 BUCKS THATS COOL THOUGH HE LETS ME MAKE IT IN PAYMENTS THOUGH. BY THE WAY I STAY IN TEXAS.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Geta lawyer that specializes in handling speeding tickets. With 0 tickets on your record, chances are that it will just be dropped. At least, that's my experience. (knock on wood)

Quick Reply: So...First ticket on the bike