F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

And so it begins..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And so it begins..

I recently lowsided at ~55 mph on a declining right hand turn (i wasn't being reckless) (story if interested here http://www.530riders.com/viewtopic.p...4&start=15 about the 5th post down) The bike slid out from the front (bad tires) sliding until it hit the side of the canyon and ricocheted off,while spinning, into the middle of the road. I came out with a few scrapes on the knees but other than that perfectly ok, the bike on the other hand didn't meet a good fate. I was able to pick her up and ride her home, barely. The obvious parts that need replacing are:
-tail + upper + right side fairings(left was perfectly unscaved)
-right rear set
-exhaust
-front rim
-mirrors
-bar ends
-levers
-rear shocks?

The reason for "?" on the rear shocks is because somehow upon impact the bike lowered itself somehow? Reason i can tell is that after i picked the bike up and let it lean on the kickstand it would be too low for it to to be perfectly stable (kickstand too long). One little tap would knock it over on it's right side. And also on the way back i have to pass a few speed bumps and the bike would scrape something on the bottom, which never happens. What i deduct from the crash is that the rear wheel might have hit the canyon wall and took most of the impact. And after tearing everything down the only thing i could think of was that the rear shock was compressed lowering the bike's stance. This is where i really need some of advice from you guys..not too familiar with bikes, but definitely like to work on things on my own.

So i guess this will be a project thread, that i will keep updated til finished.

Sorry that this was really long, and thanks for bearing with me. I'd definitely appreciate all the help i can get.

Here's some aftermath pics:

Name:  Picture049.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  Picture053.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  Picture052.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  67.8 KB

As she sits:

Name:  Picture056.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  Picture055.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  81.0 KB

Rear shocks: 1. (Should it have this gap?) 2. (Should the metal bracket be that close to the swingarm?) 3+4. (What is that black canister and should it be that low?)

2. Name:  Picture063.jpg
Size:  37.2 KB
3.Name:  Picture067.jpg
Size:  76.9 KB
4.Name:  Picture065.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Default RE: And so it begins..

Sorry to hear about the wreck, rotten luck. Good luck with your project.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 AM

well, your about to learn alot about bikes.

from just the pics, the rear shock looks fine, but I guess its possible that you blew the shock seal, and the only thing really holding it up is the spring?
that black thing is some type of emissions thing for california bikes. I would think the subframe would bend before the shock would blow, but I guess anything is possible.

overall, I can think of 3 things right off the top of my head to make your bike site and look like that.

bent subframe
bent frame (where shock mounts under the tank)-- highly unlikely
blown shock
also check the forks make sure they didnt slide up in the tripple tree which would also lower the front of the bike.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

Sorry about your crash, the front may have washed out from some sand or something else too, sometimes there is nothing you can do. good luck with the bike fixin.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your kickstand could have gotten bent. Mine got bent on a low speed lowside at Deals Gap last summer. It was on the right side and slid into a sign post n stood straight up. So check that, I dont see how the shock could have gotten bent w/o the swingarm getting damaged too.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Sorry to hear about the bike... UnfortunatelyI know how much it hurts!

Are you going to sell that cracked upper fairing? I will take it if you are.

Matt

Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

your kickstand could have gotten bent. Mine got bent on a low speed lowside at Deals Gap last summer. It was on the right side and slid into a sign post n stood straight up. So check that, I dont see how the shock could have gotten bent w/o the swingarm getting damaged too.
The bike went down sliding on it's right side the whole time during the fall, and never touched the left at all, which the kickstand is located. But it could've possibly hit the bottom, but from the pic i don't think it's bent?
Name:  Picture071.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  47.0 KB

And neither do i think the subframe is bent, pics:

Name:  Picture072.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB
Name:  Picture073.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB

About the front forks sliding up the triple tree i'm not sure of. After picking the bike back it, the handle bars would hit the front cowl, but that could've also been due to the front cowl hitting the ground and bending foward. But here's pics maybe you guys can tell from, or are there any measurements i can take to make sure they line up with standard specs?

Name:  Picture074.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  45.4 KB

Also here's how she sat with the kickstand down before:

Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  73.0 KB

Here is how it sits now:

Name:  Picture050.jpg
Size:  72.7 KB

Both taken parallel to the ground. You can see how much less of a lean it has now, causing me to think either the rear shock or front forks lowered upon impact.

So as of now i'm just trying to figure out how to make the bike stand up the way it did before, i'm not sure what part needs to replace in order to do that so i need some advice/help. Thanks for the previous comments, i'm learning more from you guys everytime.

tollfree, pm'd you about the fairing.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Anyone? And is there a website with measurements for the f4i?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Might want to add a set of frame sliders to your list, It possibly could have saved you some cash

Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Would have barely saved the fairings, and scratching the clutch cables, and maybe slowed down the bike before it hit the wall, but other than that a lot of damage wouldve come out of it. Definitely on my list if i decide on keeping her after she's fixed.

Quick Reply: And so it begins..