F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

smelly exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smelly exhaust

I've noticed after starting my 04 F4i that there is a srange smell coming from the exhaust like it might been running to rich or lean. I put a M4 slip-on exhaust on her about 9 months ago and did not install a power commander cause i was told the bike doesn't require remapping. Does anyone know if this hurts the engine or fuel injectors running it without the PC? I will most likely install a PC due to the fact that my bike runs like sh*t. Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Default RE: smelly exhaust

If it was running fine before the exhaust, then the installation of the exhaust should lean things out a little bit.

You sould not need a PC with just a slip-on. A PC will smooth out your throttle response.

What exactly do you mean by "runs like ****"?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Sorry i should have been more specific. I meant that she really hesitates during hard acceleration in the lower rpm range (below 6K). Other than that she runs good.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:55 PM

Yes a PC and map for your pipe will probably help.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you may be running on the rich side...yea a pc3 is needed mang...or try that other company...

now...as far as smelly exhaust, if you eat rich foods, you too will have smelly exhaust.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 AM

you got that backwards tahoe it's running lean, if it was running rich it would have more power on lower rpm, besides most bikes are running lean from the factory thats how they get the emitions down. the pc3 will can richen it up and get rid of the hesitation with the right map.and no it's not going to hert your bike to run it like this, it just wont run as good.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the f4i comes a bit rich from the factory, not lean.
as far as rich giving more power at low RPMs...running rich does not give you more power as you have unburned fuel. what gives you the most power is burning up all the fuel.

hesitation in the lower RPM range could be indicative that the bike is getting drowned out by fuel or like you said, starving for fuel, but if that's the case he'd have some knocking issues going on then.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 PM

I do believe the F4i's are rich from the factory.

If they leaned them to the ragged edge (most power) then there would be no room for factory variances (they would have to dyno tune each individual bike), and you would not be able to install a aftermarket air filter or even slip on without detonating the hell out of the motor.

Even when you have a custom map done you want to make is slightly rich to give you a safety margin.

Corky Bell said it best. "Your engine produces the most power right before it blows"

Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 AM

ok lets say it like this. if you have a race car do you think it will come off the line with the fuel setting at a little more lean or a little more rich?iam not talking about when it spitting up gas iam saying a little rich. you can't get that much hp out of air the more gas you can get the bike to burn the more hp you will make.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Sparks sounds like you are saying your problem is getting worse as time goes on.... You may have fouled plugs or a whole other bunch of other things going on.... Check your plugs and air filter and if they are both fine check fuel pressure. a manual will best describe on how to do all of these things and more.. just my .02 cents. if you take a look at the maps for the pcIII you will mostly see that it will lean out the bike at lower throttle positions and rich it out on higher positions at lower rpms.... so most of the time at normal riding the bike is tuned rich from the factory. and somewhat tuned lean at high load conditions like lower rpm full throttle. again just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: smelly exhaust