F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Small Crash this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Crash this Weekend

I had a small crash this weekend. I went into a turn and knew about mid-way that I wasn't going to come out of it. I uprighted the bike and did a full brake. I slowed down a lot and figured I would ride off of the road into someones yard. I successfully exited thepavement but when I tried to get back on the road the bike went down. I actually jumped right back off the ground and picked the pick up.I busted off the front left turn signal but everything else looks good. I am a little sore today from hitting the ground but I feel lucky that I wasn't injured more. Has anyone every experienced the battery being dead after the bike goes down? I had to charge it when I got home and it fired right up. Also, my low oil pressure light is on. I shut the bike off as soon as I saw it on. Anyone have any ideas on that as well?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Small Crash this Weekend

I also had the battery die on me after a crash, dont know why. Worked right after a recharge too.
Is it only the pressure light that's on or is the oil level also low? A left lowside can cause the alternator cover to crack (common f4i problem) and oil to leak... or maybe some oil spilled over from it's overflow pipe? (one of the 3 rubber hoses that hang below the bike)

In any case I'd say dont run the engine too much before taking care of the pressure indicator...

Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM

I started it right after I charged the battery but shut it off as soon as I saw the light on. I haven't seen any leakage at all. I am going to take all the left side plastic off tonight and see if there is anything going on.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:59 PM

When I went down, I picked bike up and reset shutoff and tilt sensor and it fired right up. Did you try starting bike immediatly, by turning key off then on and resetting the tilt sensor by flipping the rocker switch on right side off then on again. Or was it more like liftng bike up and trying to hit start button because the display lights were on.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM

To tell you the truth, I was so embarrassed that I was laying in some guys yard I just wanted to get out of there! I was trying every combination of switch turning and key turningand I figured something had to work. It would attempt to turn over but the battery just didn't have the power to do it all of a sudden. I let it charge and it worked perfectly. Now I am just a little worried about the oil light. I am going to check into that later.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM

+1 on embarrased i went down on the main street of the town, and bike slid across 4 lanes of traffic. Check the oil level and go from there. Start it and if it's OK then it's all good. Maybe sensor was damaged when it went down. Maybe get manual and track it down and check wire.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you given anymore thought to the cause of your crash?

Here's my thoughts: (since I've been nominated as a crashologist)
Speed- too much for the street
Target fixation- I can say volumes about this one
Picking the bike up- A no, no. You probably could have made the turn.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Retired Moderator

Yeah, it may seem scary, but sometimes you just have to press harder through the turn and you can make it. Standing up a bike orletting off the gas in the middle of the turn/braking (unless your font and rear tires are exactly in line) is asking for it. I'm glad you were just a little sore and don't have any major problems with the bike or your body! Good luck to you.